Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

mating of American Bulldog

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  OrsonDogge 
#1 ·
I am trying to breed my male American Bulldog with another owner's female. She isn't experienced at all and tends to keep sitting down when mounted. My male is experienced and things look good except they haven't locked together. Is locking essential to successful mating? He hasn't had a problem locking in the past. This female is very small also. Would this be the fault of the male or the female or something else?

#3 ·
While I have heard of breedings conceiveing without a tie, I really doubt the success rate would be very good. I think a tie is essential. As far as the female sitting down, that's fairly common in maiden bitches and also females who are not quite fertile...you want her to be standing and flagging..what day of her cycle is she on? Most dogs are not fertile until days 9-14. Take her in for a progesterone test to determine if she's ready.

Personally, I feel if you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be breeding dogs. There is so much more than putting two dogs together when it comes to breeding..especially with a bull breed.

Here is a site I think you should have a look at http://www.learntobreed.com

#4 ·
Carrie said:
Personally, I feel if you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be breeding dogs. There is so much more than putting two dogs together when it comes to breeding..especially with a bull breed.
I agree, I just didn't want to be the first to say it. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.