Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do!!!! Tootse is too much sometimes I just cant handle her she is gettitng less and less obeying. But I LOVE HER SOOO MUCH i dont know if I could handle letting her go but I just DONT know what to doo!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
What is she doing that's so bad? If you can't train her yourself, you can always hire a personal trainer for her.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to train her myself so she will listen to me I get really jelouse when she comes to someone else. Its that she was perfectly trained then it was like she kept slipping away from her training. she jumps on me when i come out she barks much more often. She is soo hyper but that doesnt bother me much.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
how old is she? if she is a teenager it might just be a stage she's going through. just keep training her everyday at least 10 min a day. keep it fun for her.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well, I don't know what your training schedule is, but you have to work with them quite a bit when they're young or the training does fade away. My dogs' obedience trainer suggests at least 30 minutes per day, but broken up into two 15 minute sessions. Puppies have a short attention span, so short sessions are better. You have to work with them consistently literally for years until they know their training without question.

Hyperactivity is often a sign of boredom. How often do you walk her? It could just be that she needs more stimulation in the form of walks and other exercise. Some dogs are like that; they have to be doing something productive all the time or they get neurotic. I had a golden retreiver that was like that, and Yote is like that. A good long walk or swim is almost like therapy to Yote.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have friends that have labs, and a lab is the most aggrevating, hyper dog ever. So, being that I feel this way towards labs(and nothing personal towards them, they are beautiful dogs)I refuse to let my dogs be hyper.Refuse 100%!

SO~ I agree, you need to exercise your dog everyday for at LEAST 30 minutes, more if possible.
When I started this with my dogs, WOW! what a difference. It takes their energy, or at least puts it at bay, the trainers I have spoken to say to train after the walk, the are calmer and more likely to listen and absorb alittle more at that time...

Dixie was hyper and refused to listen when I started training her, until we started walking, we walked alittle farther on the nights she was real bad, came home, and trained for about an hour or so, depending.

I take the puppies now nightly, and havent had any problems like you are describing yet, but the 2 nights the storm blew through and they couldnt go, I noticed a big difference.

Exercise and wear her butt out.........................It wont last long, may seem long, but will go away, (she's not a lab!)

·
Registered
410 Posts
We put Titus in obedience school where a trainer had him all day and we picked him up in the evening, then once a week we would go in with him and the trainer would go thru all the commands that he had learned that week, and she would train us as well on the proper way to correct and train him in the future. Once they learn the command it should not matter who is giving the command, they should obey it I would think. With our trainer they had several people during the day that would work with Titus with the trainer right there and he listened to everyone.... and to this day he remembers all his commands and I still try to work with him every day on something just to keep it fresh in his head ya know.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Exercise and obediance work can help so much! I walk my dog twice a day, for about 30-60 minutes each. She loves it, its good for me and it helps her sleep very good at night!!
Make the time for walks and training. With a dog in the family, it needs to be part of your daily routine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually train her an hour mostly then we have a play hour! she is 6 months old but sehs like cutting corners in her training just doing the least not very best so she can get through with it! shes having some serious attitude problems!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
MissyTootse said:
I usually train her an hour mostly then we have a play hour! she is 6 months old but sehs like cutting corners in her training just doing the least not very best so she can get through with it! shes having some serious attitude problems!
Are you training with treats? Is she a food hound? Training needs to be fun for them, or they'll lose interest. Tala will eat anything, so I can work with her with carrots, little apples, or literally anything else. Yote is not a food hound, so I have to use something really yummy with him to keep his interest. I usually use chopped up beef cubes, which he'll do anything for. I tried carrots with him, and he's not too thrilled and loses interest in training. Also, puppies have short attention spans. They can't concentrate for a full hour of obedience commands.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
MissyTootse said:
you never stated if you're giving her a good long walk first. Are you?

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
You should not walk your dog before training, you need to learn to channel that energy into her, u'll get a better response. The playing is after, u must end on a good note after training...playing baseball with your dog afterwards would perfect. The bully breed is not a breed you can train once and they obied all the time, they are not a border collie..

Also check her protein lvl in her food, too high will help to encourage a hyper dog. She will calm down, but you have to put the work in.

Lots of exercise and regular Obidience training, with an expereinced trainer, with some years of experience and references, so many trainers just take a 6 week training cousre and they are qualified trainers!

Here's a link to Roxy's training, I am still training and learning, hope it will help you out.

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=1835

and exercise, did I say that already.....It takes a lot to ware their butts out, but it's worth the break you get when u get home. When Roxy was spayed and couldn't go out she was a right pain she used to hound me all the time, nudge me with her nose and bark....it was a nightmare, not going back there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey roxy what breed is your roxy cuz she looks just like tootse and i've been trying to find her breed! anyway thx for the tips specially the protien one thats great!

also I had a question how much is your training?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts