Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I feed my pom merrick canned food and I was wondering if it is good for pit bulls and if any of you have your pits on it. I like that there are differnt flavors and it is all natural.

Now I have had my late pit on Solid Gold and she seemed to do good on it. They have this food called Millennia and it's supposed to have a higher calorie for athletic dogs that have problems keeping weight on.

What in your opinions is the best food for pit bulls?

I'm guessing something with high protein, but which?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I'm totally biased for Timberwolf and think it's the best food for any breed of dog, given that your dog doesn't have allergies to the ingredients. :) My dogs do extremely well on it, especially Remy, whose coat absolutely shines on it. Bella's does, too, but Remy has a little bit longer fur and he's always sooooo soft.

I may eventually switch to half Timberwolf/half raw feeding, though.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard good things about Timberwolf too..
If I remember, were they the one's that had a bunch of different kinds?
I think I was confused as to which to purchase.
I will definately check them out though, thanks!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
I've heard good things about Timberwolf too..
If I remember, were they the one's that had a bunch of different kinds?
I think I was confused as to which to purchase.
I will definately check them out though, thanks!
Yeah, Timberwolf has several different varieties: Elk and Salmon, Bison, Lamb and Apples, Lamb and Venison, Whitefish, Chicken. I think there are more, but I'm drawing a blank. :) My two are on Elk and Salmon.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it matter what kind they are on (like does each kind have a different purpose)?
Or are they just different flavors?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
The purpose is generally the same for most of the varieties, although some varieties have more protein than others. I believe the Lamb and Apples formula is the most nutrient dense and is recommended for puppies or pregnant and lactating b*tches. A lot of people who feed Timberwolf rotate among all of the varieties if their dogs don't have allergies to any of the proteins.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do they sell just dry food or is there a canned version also?
I prefer to mix wet and dry food.

If there is no canned, I could just mix the dry timberwolf with Solid Gold Green Cow (stinky as hell but good)
and the SeaMeal supplement (both of which I swear by).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the way Merrick looks, you can see every ingredient like you would stew.
Spot's stew is also good.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um.. now you're making me consider just sticking with the merrick!
:D

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The wing-a-ling and smothered comfort flavors both have chicken with the bone and all (wing-a-ling is full chicken wings and smothered comfort is the thighs). The bones are so soft, you can cut them with a spoon!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I mix Chicken Soup for the Soul and Merrick's Gammy's Pot Pie. And as wierd as it might sound, I have passed the "tempted" stage. The stuff looks so tasty I just had to try it--a really, really small taste; tastes like real pot pie, needs a little salt though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been very happy since switching to Timberwolf. I rotate among a few of their recipes. I have a EB and they tend to have dry skin. The timberwolf works beautifully. I add wild salmon oil and timberwolf Wild Elements. I believe, also, it is the best food on the market. I Mix it with Nature's Variety Raw Frozen foods. Yogurt and "Heart Healthy" OJ in AM

I'd also like to add that there is no gas problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Bogie said:
I mix Chicken Soup for the Soul and Merrick's Gammy's Pot Pie. And as wierd as it might sound, I have passed the "tempted" stage. The stuff looks so tasty I just had to try it--a really, really small taste; tastes like real pot pie, needs a little salt though.
:sign5:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spot's Stew is a dogfood that looks like stew and there are claims of people eating it.
In fact, the founder was on TV eating it.
I would never..
LOL
The weirdest I have done was to lick a rawhide to make sure it tasted like something.
Gross, I know..
:p
It's just alot of rawhides on the market don't interest my dog, they probably don't taste like anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.