Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from Messiah's first weight pull training. He did great, much better than I thought he would. He's more hyper than the other two, so I was worried he'd spaz when I put the harness on him. He was unsure for about 1 minute. Then he calmed down, so I hooked the harness to a big plastic jug filled with sand. I gave the "sit" command, he obeyed. I backed up about 20 feet, and gave the "pull" command and he started to come to me and stopped. I think he thought he was tied up and couldn't move. I went back to him, gave the "pull" command and pulled him along with me by the harness for about 10 feet so he realized he could move. I gave the "sit" command again, backed up another 20' and gave the "pull" command. He pulled it right to me. I did this with him for about a half hour and that was it. We were at the beach, so we played at the edge of the water and with a ball for a while, then sat down and rested for about 20 minutes. Finally, we took a short walk up the beach and back. He did wonderful. I was worried he wasn't going to do as well, as he is just now maturing and didn't seem as smart at my other two. But, I think he did better his first time than either Mosley or Montana.
I'll have to remember to take my camera from now on.

~S

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rachel Zugg said:
That sounds like fun....Im glad he did well. :D what age do you start the whole weight pulling thing?
I didn't get in to it until Mosley was ~3, just last summer and a little the summer before. I haven't done anything beyond beginner training yet. Montana was 1 year, and has very minimal training. And, Messiah is 18 months right now, and this was his first time with the harness on.

I'm pretty sure they can't compete in sanctioned events until they're 1 year old. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Messiah's the MAN

Here's why Messiah is going to be my "prize" puller:

He got his daddy's front end:

And, he got his mama's rear end:

(Whatta HAM!)

~S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts