Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife and i have been looking for a puppy to complete our family. we have two children (10 and 7) and a 1 1/2 year old Senigal Parrot. i want a young pup so it may grow up with my parrot. i came across this add and am confused. i emailed the owners but i am impatient. what kind of puppy is this. it says american bulldog english bulldog. also says its ckc registered whioch i know nothing about. can mixed dogs be registered? im just wondering what these pups will look like and how big they will get. any help is appriciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would be careful, make sure both parents have been tested for health problems and that the dog comes with a health AND temperament guarantee for at least 2 years. I also would not buy a dog from anybody that breeds just to breed. If you are looking to ad a puppy with a healthy body and a healthy temperament to you family I would slow down and research some breeders. If you don't care about that type of stuff, just go to the shelter and adopt one.
BTW, what's the price ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh i forgot the link. here it is

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=6575282

these pups seem so great and its a good rescue story but im new to the canine world so any advice would help. alos i have a 3 bedroom house with the garage converted to a game room, a screen porch where my parrot likes to perch and a small unfenced back yard with a pond. also i live in florida so it warm year round. good for an american bull?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
SamIAM said:
I owuld not pay that much money for a cross breed myself!
No and it looks filthy there as well. I'd be very careful about bringing a dog home from those conditions.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Okay, so they are rescues. Sorry I didn't get that from your first post.
It's a high adoption fee, but I guess considering how they got the dogs, I think it's okay. Rescues don't have a lot of money and they need to get it back somehow.
You will see the conditions of the dogs once you go and check them out. Just make a vet appointment right away to have the puppy checked.
As far as the Backyard, I would recommend a 6 foot fence. And for the heat, just use common sense and know the signs of heat related trouble.
They also have an AB/Boxer puppy, but sadly no picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
didnt even see that AB/boxer. that one is probably the normal rescue fee of $40. will probably look at that one as well. the 2 things i am worried about thtough are my parrot and i have no chance of a fence due to the community io live in.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi there. CKC registered means Canadian Kennel Club registered. It is like AKC but for Canadian dogs, but they have some different rules and stipulations, and I think that there is a special registration you can get for mix breed dogs as well. The website is www.ckc.ca

If they are CKC registered there is a good chance that they are in a Canadian shelter maybe I'm confused on that one, because it says Florida, but then why would they have CKC papers)?!? I know that there are a lot of shelters that will not ship dogs, or allow them to be a certain amount of miles away from the shelter. If you are interested in these dogs I would contact the person who made the add to check it out, and find out more about the story. I'm not quite sure why an American dog would be CKC registered and if so then the dogs could have originated from Canada in some way, but it could have been a scam from the ORIGINAL breeders because they knew they couldn't get AKC papers on the dog so they got CKC papers instead. They probablly wanted to use the gimic of them being registered (which sounds like the most likely scenario), to be able to sell them for a higher price.

Personally I don't think that $400 is that steep of a price to pay. I mean there are breeders out there who would try to charge over $1000 for these dogs possibly. When you get a puppy from a shelter the shelter usually also pays a good portion of their first vet visits, and shots, they give you a big discount book, and they pay quite a bit towards neutering your pupp as well. I would definetly check into things more. :)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Considering this rescue agency supported scummy backyard breeders by buying puppies from them, I personally wouldn't support them! Yes, the puppies' health was in risk, but these "breeders" are most likely going to be breeding again because they sold all of their puppies from this litter so easily!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I didn't even think about Continental Kennel Club.....which is more likely given the location! Now I wonder how many Canadian backyard breeders scam people this way, "They are CKC registered", that has probablly fooled a few people!

Ya on the one hand they bought these dogs from the backyard breeders, but I have read about the people who did this somewhere else as well when I was looking for my EB puppy, and they said that they kept buying those dogs because the breeders had them out in a hot parking lot being sold, and the rescuer felt they needed to be rescued. What I wonder though is if there wasn't someone they could have phoned that could have made these people stop selling the dogs in the parking lot instead, that would have took the dogs away instead of having to buy them. But at the same time it's a LOT harder to take a dog away from it's 'owners' then it should be. Hmmm....it is just a really weird scenario. :?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have seen people sell puppies on the side of the road or in a parking lot several times. If you call the cops all they do is tell them to get lost.
Now I'm just wondering, since the rescue mentions the puppies have papers. are they going to adopt them out with the papers ?? I sure hope they are all spayed and neutered, before they go to new homes with papers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts