Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Did she actually swab the ears, make a slide, & check for mites under the microscope? If not, shame on her. If so, did he/she make a slide & also check for yeast and/or bacteria? If not, double shame.

Unfortunately, some vets will just "diagnose" ear problems without actually doing their job & looking under a microscope for mites, yeast, bacteria, etc. And unfortunately, all of these conditions require different types of medications to treat/clear up.

As far as inner ear hair goes, most short haired breeds don't have a problem with ear hair bothering them. Poodles are known for having extremely hairy inner ears (as are other small yippy breeds that have to be groomed often--shih tzus, pekinese, etc.). I'm not a fan of plucking ear hairs except in extreme cases because 1) most dogs don't really need it done & 2) the tiny tiny ear hairs actually serve to protect the inner ear.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
maggiemay48 said:
Can anyone advice me mites in my puppys ears.I did go to the vet she gave me some drops.They dont seem to have done anything.Some one told me its the hairs curling in his ears. so pluck them out.I cant do that he dosent like me going near them. he thinks drops are going in again so he goes mad.What can i do?
What is the regimine your vet perscribed for your dogs ear care? Cleaning, times of medicating, etc.
Are you able to do this if your dog does not want you to go near his ears?
Are his ears painful to him? Did she give you any medication for pain if they are?

One of my dogs develped a sinus allergy and it landed into his ear. It was so painful, that he stood directly in front of me and cried. I knew something was wrong from the wailing sound that he was making. I did a hand check of his body and head and when I got to his ears he just bellowed. I put him straight into the car and went to the emergency vet, (Sunday) The vet did a swab and looked into his ears and then checked the swab under her microscope. She did not find anything except for some infection. After looking in his mouth and eyes, and listening to his lungs and heart, she determined it was a sinus allergy that had backed up into his ears and was very painful to him. She gave him a heavy duty pain shot and then gave me a pain med and antibiotic to give him. He was the happiest dog to be free of the pain. The reason I am posting all this is because it is difficult to treat a dog that is in pain. So treat the pain if he has any and then you can treat the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mites

Im going throught this ear mite thing.Bought some stuff from Petco and was doing internet research-I know its mites because it was blackish discharge from her ears,she was scratching til it bled and shaking her head-so I been at the drops twice a day for two weeks and from what I understand it takes a damn long time four weeks or more to get rid of the mites...you have to flea bathe the dog also once a week bec the mites go to the skin-its a drawn out process except if you go to the vet and get some injections?
You also have to treat all other animals in yer house for mites-because they can go from animal to animal...hope this helps...My Jade hates the drops too but she sees me with the bottle and she accepts it-it helps to give a treat after they let you at their ears.She has alot of skin bumps on her from the mites-but I have a antibiotic spray for the cuts and scratches for them not to get infected..good luck..Jodi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts