Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has a Cane Corso and an American Pit Bull. She now has 12 puppies. I'm considering taking one. Is this a good mix in terms of temperment?

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's not he cross/breed so much as the parents as individuals. If the parents have good temperments than the pups likely will too. Also, the way the pup is raised has a lot to do with how it will turn out. ie: socializing and encouraging proper behavior at a young age and discouraging bad behavior. There are good dogs both purebred and mixed and they are crappy dogs of both as well. It depends on the individual.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Just be prepared to have a massive dog that will probably not like other dogs. Your pup will need lots of consistent training and of course lots of love too. :love5:

Good luck, and it's always a good idea to share pics. :biggrin: haha

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Just be prepared to have a massive dog that will probably not like other dogs. Your pup will need lots of consistent training and of course lots of love too.

Good luck, and it's always a good idea to share pics. haha
I second that on all parts!!!!!!!!! Oh how cute they will be too :love5: ......You probably know Momma and Pappa what are they like? Since it is your sis take time to get to know the puppies, which one is a wild child, which one is laid back, dominate, submissive, ( well as much as that mix could be , LOL) etc. Take the time to know them , well, as much of their personality is showing by 8 or 9 weeks.........But more importantly know you............

What are looking for in a puppy, do you want to deal with potty breaks every hour or more :shock:
Do you know a good vet?
Can your sister help you with answers to breed questions?
If not, Can you find someone that really knows the breeds?
Do you know how to train these breeds or can you find someone to help you?
Will your puppy have a spot in your house? ( I only ask bc they LOVE their families and a backyard only dog will get bored and become distructive, maybe even aggressive)
If you live in place with little to no yard can you take your baby on daily walks?
Are you aware that this mix needs to be watched at all times with kids?(Not trying to scare you bc they do love kids but play time can get rough)
And if ever out of a fence on a leash NO ifs, ands, or buts about it!!!!!!!!!
Are Momma and Pappa healthy?
Do you like their temperaments?
Are you prepared for around $300-$600+ just to get the baby to the Vet for much needed shots and other needs like crates & toys in the first few months?
Not to mention at the very least $40+ of food every couple of weeks?
Are you prepaped for the teenage stage when they forget conventantly all of their commands and try to be boss ?

I am not trying to scare you and the Mix would probably be well worth the money and time .....I am also not trying to imply that you are not capable to handle all of this but I do not know you or your experience with Dominate breeds....They are a lot of responsiblity but they are more than worth every penny and every training lesson...I hope that you make the best decision for you and yours......If you decided that this is the Mix for you please come back and share your experiences with us.We would love to hear them :D AND DON'T FORGET THE PICTURES :love7:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
OH I almost forgot do you have thick skin????
Can you handle people fearing your dog and the crass comments that come along with that?
I can promise you:
That there will be some people to make rude comments about your dog.
Some that will run in their house or cross the street to avoid you and your dog
No matter how sweet your little angel is
...I was at the park with my friend and our !!!!puppies!!! mine is an American Bulldog and my friends is a Pit/mix...while I was else where a woman walked up to my friend to my friend and starting tell her that her dog is vicious :?: :shock: :?: Her puppy had a toy the puppy was shaking it like ALL puppies do ( MY freaking CHihuahua does it too).......A woman walked up to my friend and started tell her to train her dog right that is vicious behavior?!?!?!? :evil: The puppy was on a leash playing with a toy and now she is vicious..."They are just mean from birth" she told my friend..My friend walked up looking really sad and she told me the story, well, luckly for the woman she did not say it to me...I would have told her where to go and how to get there...AND THE LAST THING SHE NEEDED TO WORRY ABOUT IS MY DOG ........SHE SHOULD BE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT ME! :twisted: And making comments like that to someone she does not know

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Are you a first time dog owner? Do you have any experience with the above mentioned breeds? Are you VERY familiar with them? If not, then this is NOT a pup/dog for you.

So many people assume that mutts (or mixed breeds) get the best from "both worlds" so to speak, but unfortunately, more often than not, they get the worst. This mix is a very "potent" mix & will result in dogs with unkown temperaments & unkown genetic issues. If one is familiar with both breeds & is willing to put in the necessary training & time, then the dog could very well be a great one. In the wrong hands (including the naive), then these pups are a liability to everyone.

That said, I own APBTs & also own a Shar Pei/Cane Corso mix. While I love my mutt, he is a living example of why this "lovely" combo should NEVER ever ever occur. He's a very very dominant dog who requires daily reminders of exactly who's the boss & what he's allowed to do. He tests his dominance every day (but not on everyone b/c in his mind, they are already below him & seem to know it). He is a genetic mess physically & has cost me thousands of dollars in surgeries (he has severe bilateral hip dysplasia & patella subluxation on the left side) & is a walking allergy. But again, my main focus is on his "'tude". While he is a great member of society, it's only because of intense & sometimes extreme training but I have no doubt in my mind that if this dog had gone to someone else who wasn't as strict or willing, then he would've already been euthanized.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
So many people assume that mutts (or mixed breeds) get the best from "both worlds" so to speak, but unfortunately, more often than not, they get the worst. This mix is a very "potent" mix & will result in dogs with unkown temperaments & unkown genetic issues. If one is familiar with both breeds & is willing to put in the necessary training & time, then the dog could very well be a great one. In the wrong hands (including the naive), then these pups are a liability to everyone.

That said, I own APBTs & also own a Shar Pei/Cane Corso mix. While I love my mutt, he is a living example of why this "lovely" combo should NEVER ever ever occur. He's a very very dominant dog who requires daily reminders of exactly who's the boss & what he's allowed to do. He tests his dominance every day (but not on everyone b/c in his mind, they are already below him & seem to know it). He is a genetic mess physically & has cost me thousands of dollars in surgeries (he has severe bilateral hip dysplasia & patella subluxation on the left side) & is a walking allergy. But again, my main focus is on his "'tude". While he is a great member of society, it's only because of intense & sometimes extreme training but I have no doubt in my mind that if this dog had gone to someone else who wasn't as strict or willing, then he would've already been euthanized..............Do you have any experience with the above mentioned breeds?
I agree with you 100% :thumbleft:

Are you a first time dog owner? Are you VERY familiar with them?If not, then this is NOT a pup/dog for you.
I disagree with you on this count...Everyone has to start somewhere everyone has to have their 1st ........I am not saying to NOT research the breeds..By all means Research until you are blue :sleepy3: in the face and then research some more ...Be educated about what you are signing up for and have your ducks in a row..meaning a trainer with experience with at least one of these breeds Preferrably both...I do understand that Cane Corso's are still rare so depending on where you live you may have a hardtime finding a trainer that has experience with both...But it should be a piece of cake to find a trainer with experience with "Pits"...Miakoda is right about the dominance side though =D> i should have written more about that .........My dog does not give me that much grief but she is still young and I am lucky...They can be very trying ..But I think that is more important to be willing to do everything that it takes to control your dog and that could mean a lot of $$$$$$ for a good trainer and a of time.....Go to some shows around you talk to people to find a trainer and to bone up on the breeds..these people can tell you a lot abut the breed and you can talk with them and see if you are ready to own a dog like this

·
Registered
72 Posts
take 2 if they are free.
sounds like a great dog and It also sounds like you would be helping your sister. Just curious why she mixed the two breeds since she had 2 great dogs and now it looks like she has too many pups on her hands. But hey, they are here now and I don't think it would be right to just drown them. BTw What is Sis planning for the rest of the dirty dozen .
Also remember both of these breeds can be a hand full read up and know what you are getting into. these dogs could potentially hurt you or someone else. I really don't suggest them for beginners but like I said, I don't suport the drowning of pups either. As far as temperment you've got two breeds of dogs with some real negative repupations. THATS BECAUSE THESE DOGS CAN KILL. So please be carefull. And make an informed decision not one based on Oh HE's so cute...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts