Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had some new dogs come into the rescue and this is where I step in and take photos of them all. We've been getting so many dogs come in that we are running out of room fast, fosters are having 3-4 dogs in one house and it's tough.

But it's all in a days work...here are just some of the dogs we've gotten in. Most of the dogs turned in came from good homes, but when the owners got a new dog and had to travel they couldn't take the dog with them so they made the best decision in giving them to us.

Mikko on the other hand came from some jackass who was trying to "train" him to be an attack dog. Luckily he wasn't corrupted by his so called owner.

Sassy is a deaf girl who has also endured some hardships along the way. She has a scar on her ear where her previous owners let their child try to cut off her ear with some scissors and she desperately needed veterinary care when she came in to rescue. Some people are so stupid! Though a child try to cut off her ear, she still has love to give any child that comes her way with a big slobber kiss and a good lean.

Onto the pictures!

Bella

Cookie

Mikko

Sassy

Xena

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I love deutch dogs (aka great danes) they are so beautiful! Hopefully these guys find good homes.

I really love buckskin danes (black mask - light fawn body) they look so ancient and noble!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All Great Danes, and thank you for the comments. We get alot of Fawns in the rescue, but as of late we've been getting alot of black, harlequins and blues.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
just curious, what is their average stay at the shelter before re-homing? do you have ppl involved in fostering as well?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It varies. We have dogs come in that will stay with us for a few days and then we have some that stay with us for months at a time. The longest we ever had a dog stay in the rescue was 2yrs. It really comes down to the age, health and tempermant of a certain dog.

Younger dogs that are around 1-3 get adopted very fast. But dogs that are around 4 and up usually take longer.

We do our best not to send dogs to kennels since we feel the best way to work with a dog and prepare them for a new home is to welcome them into our own home. But with the number of dogs we get, sometimes we do have to send them to kennels until foster home space is opened up.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know how anyone could let a child do that to a dog. But she's still a dog that has nothing but love to give any child.

Maybe one day if all us forum members can get together people can see my danes up close and personal!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope so too. I'm suprised Cookie has been in the rescue as long as she has, she has everything someone should be looking for in m opinion. She loves kids, gets along great with male and female dogs, and even likes cats!

She would be perfect for a first time Great Dane owner. But everyone that is adopted from the rescue goes to great homes, some people have done agility work, others have gone for the CGC and went to be therapy dogs. Makes me feel so good to do what I do.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
They look like gentle giants. Xena is beautiful! Poor Sassy looks like she has some skin issues as well. Aside from hip problems, are Danes prone to any other health issues?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you :) Xena is probaly the most stubborn out of all the dogs I've had the pleasure of working with. She marches to the beat of her own drummer :lol:

Sassy has mange sadly, and she's filthy as you can tell. It looks almost like grease, but she has a vet appointment today and they are gonna dip her and give her a good bath for us since she desperatly needs one.

As for other health problems, Great Danes are prone to bloat, some genetic heart problems, wobblers syndrome and hip dysplasia.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I prefer the natural look aswell. Most danes look weird with cropped ears cause they usually end up coming out very large (Xena for example) but hey, whatever floats peoples boat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow!! Mikko is amazing. Actually they are all amazing. Good luck and hope they find forever homes soon!!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Pitchic27 said:
Danes ARE gorgeous! When we went camping in April, there were two in the campground, both of those people didn't know each other, how unusual and their dogs looked identical fawn with black masks. All I kept thinking is, where does the dog sleep in the tent :lol: They're like horses!!
My husband's cousin has one, and his name is Chevy...poor thing thinks he's a lap dog and it's hilarious!!! They have a huge L shaped secional, and he will stretch out on the long side and literally take up the whole couch, whether you are on it or not. I love him! :D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My danes do the same, they stretch out on my bed or couch and leave no room for me! But luckily my bed is big enough for both danes and even shadow....how I suffer for my dogs :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts