Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've given Nala the Claritin, she's had 25mg Benadryl, I've bathed her in anti-itch shampoo, plus her medicated shampoo tonight.... And STILL she itches and chews till she bleeds.

I don't understand why nothing is working. She's a complete mess. Could she have a nervous habit, that makes her compulsively chew and scratch? I've heard of dogs who do this. I can't figure it out. I am going to change her food to Candidae and see if that helps, but geez -- this is getting out of hand. The bumps and scabs are all from her itching, I can't see any underlying rash.

:(

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Aww poor baby, she looks so miserable. It could be a nervous habit, I don't want to say for certain. But you have tried so many things and it doesn't seem like anything has helped her out.

Or it could be allergies. My moms friend has a dog who is allergic to the grass in the yard, so they constantley have to keep the grass mowed so it stays low or else she get's itchy and her eyes all swell up.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well she has no eye irritation or swelling, they don't look teary or itchy. It's mostly just her legs and paws. She looks like she's trying to chew her nails off sometimes. Her belly and chest get red and itchy too, which would lead me to believe it's the grass, but why would she still be itching after she's been indoors all day? They're just going to have to put her on something daily for allergies. And some anti-fungal medicine wouldn't hurt. I can't wait till tomorrow so I can get her in to be seen!! I also have my court date tomorrow morning for the dog's barking citation. Wish me luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Poor thing, she looks like she has gotten into something that has created her to rash out.
At this point it would probably take your vet to know for sure what it is. I would definately
spray on some bactine to help relieve the itching until you can get her there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Staff infection

My Wife took Josie to the Vet. on Friday with bumps just like that. The Dr. said it was a staff or was it a staph infection, I can never get it right. Anyway She was put on a 10 day course of antibiotics and has improved 100%. Days and she is looking normal again.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I put hydrocortisone cream on her big sores. She finally fell asleep. Poor baby, I hate seeing her go through this. I'll have to try to get her in as a walk-in tomorrow. I'll give her regular vet one more chance to see if she can fix this.. if not, then she's going back to the other doctor for a 2nd opinion. The last time the regular vet saw her, it wasn't this bad, so maybe she will try something else.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Staff infection

Hammer said:
My Wife took Josie to the Vet. on Friday with bumps just like that. The Dr. said it was a staff or was it a staph infection, I can never get it right. Anyway She was put on a 10 day course of antibiotics and has improved 100%. Days and she is looking normal again.
That's an interesting thought. I work in a hospital and carry so many germs with me, especially on my shoes. Come to think of it, Nala keeps running off with my work shoes. OMG. Thanks for the insight, maybe that will steer us in a different direction!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Did she have this rash when she came to you, i can't remember.....I realize that this is a shot in the dark but she could have a nylon allergy. If she did not have the rash that would make sense bc most kennels do not have carpet? Just guessing hope that she gets better soon I know that you are giving it your all :cry: This must be killing you :cry:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No the rash was a slow progression. First she was antibiotics for the incision infection, and it developed about 10 days after the antibiotics. She was supposed to have them for 14 days but I stopped them thinking she was allergic. The "itchies" have never stopped since. She has had a rash that comes and goes, but mostly just non-stop chewing and scratching, which makes it worse. A day has not gone by that she's had any relief. The Benadryl seems to lessen the intensity that she itches, and makes her sleep, but nothing has given her complete relief, and nothing has made her bumps and sores clear up!

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Maybe her food... :shock: Boss hog did that with a change in his food (same spots behind his ears and on his legs) he dug until he was bloody...I changed him again and he is all good but I dont know :?: ...she looks itchy though :? ..

e

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Yikes! Poor baby that must be miserable for her. I agree, it looks like maybe a staph infection. Your vet can do a skin scrape and check for it I believe. Best of luck with Nala and court.....be sure to update us on both! :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Hibi Scrub if you can get it. It is only available at the vets here in the Uk from what I have seen. Hibi srucb washes in and lathers then you rinse away, like a shampoo really, but it is for wounds and infections.

Also look likes bites, I say this cos Roxy went threw this the first few weeks Marlee was here, and Daisy chews on Roxys neck now and again, Roxy ends up with the same sore as Nalas the one by her ear. I bet that is what it is, either way Hibi Scrub will work :)

Also try antisetic wound powder, powders work better I find.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys... they couldn't fit her in today, but she will be seen Wednesday at 4:40pm. She's actually doing a little bit better today, maybe the anti-itch shampoo helped a little.

As for my court date...well I wasn't sure how to plea. I just told the judge that I'm not denying that my dogs were barking, but I do believe they were provoked. And I had my copy of the police report where my neighbor admitted she had been using the bark alarm. The judge said she couldn't amend my citation, but I could set a trial date and speak to the prosecutor. More than likely they will amend the charge, or dismiss the case. Wish me luck! Trial date is set for August 8th.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
poor wittle Nala..... maybe the vet can give her steroid injections to lessen the itching.....

this is another shot in the dark, maybe put apple cidar in her water dish? i know it helps with tear stains, maybe it will help her system with the itchies.... it couldn't hurt i don't think.... just a thought!

i hope she gets better soon..... could it be lice or skin mites or scabies??? i don't know much about doggy skin care, but maybe something like that..... i dunno

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
As for my court date...well I wasn't sure how to plea. I just told the judge that I'm not denying that my dogs were barking, but I do believe they were provoked. And I had my copy of the police report where my neighbor admitted she had been using the bark alarm. The judge said she couldn't amend my citation, but I could set a trial date and speak to the prosecutor. More than likely they will amend the charge, or dismiss the case. Wish me luck! Trial date is set for August 8th.
What are they going to amend the charge to? I say F-em and take it to trial, why should you have any charge if they were actually provoking dogs in the neighborhood to bark?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
snarky said:
poor wittle Nala..... maybe the vet can give her steroid injections to lessen the itching.....

this is another shot in the dark, maybe put apple cidar in her water dish? i know it helps with tear stains, maybe it will help her system with the itchies.... it couldn't hurt i don't think.... just a thought!

i hope she gets better soon..... could it be lice or skin mites or scabies??? i don't know much about doggy skin care, but maybe something like that..... i dunno
Bella's previous vet used to give her steroid injections to lessen the itching when she was really bad last summer. (She had maybe 4 or 5 injections between the summer and fall.) Steroids do far more harm than good in young puppies, and our current vet actually prefers to let a dog be a little uncomfortable than give him/her a steroid shot. That says a lot for how bad they are, I think!

Poor Nala....I hope you can find something to make her comfortable! Gotta love our funky-skinned bullies, huh?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cannon said:
LuvaBULL said:
What are they going to amend the charge to? I say F-em and take it to trial, why should you have any charge if they were actually provoking dogs in the neighborhood to bark?
I'm not sure what they would amend the charge to. I'm hoping they just throw it out. If I have to pay it, oh well. But I'm at least going to try, considering they DID make things worse. The first time they called, my dogs were barking. That was my first warning. ALL the dogs around our homes were barking that night because it was around the 4th of July and people were doing fireworks in the yard behind mine. So then they got the stupid bark alarm. And when it didn't work -- instead of shutting the [email protected] thing off, they called the cops again, and I was cited. They must have returned the thing after I complained because I haven't heard it go off since. I've done my part too... I keep the dogs indoors after 9pm except short potty breaks. She has peace and quiet on my end, but her other neighbors still have 2-3 barking dogs, so I can understand why she's angry.

I could barely keep a straight face in that courtroom though because the 2 people ahead of me were from the jail, and they had more serious drug and theft-related offenses. Then here I come with my "barking dogs" citation. LOL... I'm surprised the judge didn't laugh too!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Allergies?

I've heard of dogs that are allergic to people (human dander). Food allergies are also common. Some of the most common are corn and wheat. Check the list of ingredients on her food. You've gotta love the high pain tolerance of these guys, they'll itch themselves raw and it's like it doesn't register that they're drwing blood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts