Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Who wants to talk about mentoring again?

I started that thread a while ago regarding mentors and asking what everyone looks for in a mentor. Well, some of the replies were pretty vague. Let me re word my question and see what we come up with....

What is it precisely about your mentor(s) that drew you to them? Like, what are the specific things they have said or done (or not done) that has really impressed you?

I have a few people that I consider mentors. I will start with the things that impress me about them.....

1. selling puppies is not a priority

2. they don't make excuses for their dogs temperment or other shortcomings

3. they test the temperament of their dogs hard...drives, nerve, courage all that good stuff

3. not afraid to wash out a dog from a breeding program..even after years of hard work and testing

4. big on health testing

5. knows alot about the dogs of the past (not just what they look like)

6. can resist the temptation of breeding if they aren't totally happy with a particualr dog even though they have countless people wanting them to do a breeding

7.demand that their dogs not only have the drive to work but also can work thru pressure...enviornmental, helper, handler without falling apart

8. willing to cull

9. has alot of first hand experience with dogs

10. are the first to reveal a flaw(s) in their dogs

11. isn't constantly boasting about how great their dog(s) are.

12. (on edit) always keeps back AT LEAST one or 2 pups from any breeding they do.

I am sure I will think of some more but thats my list for now.

Anyone else care to join in? Maybe that was worded a little better?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
TEMPERMENT!! I would want my mentor to understand and strive to achieve the best temperment possible. Willing to cull weak nerved dogs, and they test for good nerve and courage.

Somebody who is honest to themselves about their dogs. There is nothing worse then somebody who is blind to their own dogs faults. NO dog is perfect, you should be able to point out the flaws in your own dogs. I think that is one of the most important things in my mind.

HEALTH HEALTH HEALTH!! I would want to see them do all the testing they can. Keep track of what is going on with your dog, even if its something petty.

Of course I would like somebody very experienced, the more experience the more you can learn from that person.

that is all I can think of right now, LOL, I'm sure there will be more

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve, I did not forget that you had answered.

Some of the answers people gave were just not really specific enough (not just yours). I was looking for some more detail thats why I re-phased my question in a new thread.

What is it precisely about your mentor(s) that drew you to them? Like, what are the specific things they have said or done (or not done) that has really impressed you?

Key word impress. Maybe this will get me the more detailed answers I am looking for.

PS no one has to reveal their mentors! I just want to know what specifically you respect and admire about them so much that you would consider them a mentor. Sorry I didn't phrase it properly the first time.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
1.....ok her ya go lisa my Mentor has to have a good understanding of the make up of the AB's in his yard
the in's and outs and the Genetic's of there dog's ped's line's and hystory of the line's

2..has to be verry addimite about health tesating of the broodstock and stud's

3...time spent with the AB as a breeder

4... temperment testing DONE AT AN EARLY AGE so that the dog's can get placeed acrodingly

5... hounesty big part of my idea of a Mentor he knows what he has and dosent have...... and isent afard to knock
his own dogs if there not top quality ....

6... iam not a big fan of culling and think if enuff testing is done both temp and health it's not nessasary besides there
people out there that cant affored a AB and would take a dog if it wasent unto snuff just to give it a loving home ..

#7 ....takes a big part in the AB world travels and dose shows events allways out looking for better AB's to help in his program

#8 and the most important OUT FOR THE LOVE OF THE AB AND TO BETTER THE BREED NOT TO LINE HIS POCKETS!

if ya want to get rite down to it theres 10000's of things people should think about if there looking for a Mentor especily in the AB world as long as the person is a SRT shooter iam ok with that then i can make my mind up what there all about :wink:

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Steve. That was a little better. :D

May I ask what your mentors do to test temperament ( their breeding stock)? What do they do exactly to expose their dogs strengths and weaknsses?

You mentioned that you feel it important that a person knows what they have. So, how does do your mentors determine that exactly?

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Lisa said:
Thanks, Steve. That was a little better. :D

May I ask what your mentors do to test temperament ( their breeding stock)? What do they do exactly to expose their dogs strengths and weaknsses?

You mentioned that you feel it important that a person knows what they have. So, how does do your mentors determine that exactly?
and so the disecting begins ...if ya want i can give ya there #'s you can call and ask for your self
iv spent quite a few months on the phone with differnt breeders picking there brains and asking ever the dum ist questions over the years ... so i got a long list of # 's how mutch time you got
so i gess do i have 1 mentor per say no but i take a bite from everyone i talk to in the AB world and weed throught the B.S

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Lisa said:
Ok. Who wants to talk about mentoring again?

I started that thread a while ago regarding mentors and asking what everyone looks for in a mentor. Well, some of the replies were pretty vague. Let me re word my question and see what we come up with....

I have a few people that I consider mentors. I will start with the things that impress me about them.....

1. selling puppies is not a priority

2. they don't make excuses for their dogs temperment or other shortcomings

3. they test the temperament of their dogs hard...drives, nerve, courage all that good stuff

3. not afraid to wash out a dog from a breeding program..even after years of hard work and testing

4. big on health testing

5. knows alot about the dogs of the past (not just what they look like)

6. can resist the temptation of breeding if they aren't totally happy with a particualr dog even though they have countless people wanting them to do a breeding

7.demand that their dogs not only have the drive to work but also can work thru pressure...enviornmental, helper, handler without falling apart

8. willing to cull

9. has alot of first hand experience with dogs

10. are the first to reveal a flaw(s) in their dogs

11. isn't constantly boasting about how great their dog(s) are.

12. (on edit) always keeps back AT LEAST one or 2 pups from any breeding they do.

I am sure I will think of some more but thats my list for now.

Anyone else care to join in? Maybe that was worded a little better?
that is a really good list, lisa.
understand that i have a "slightly" different opinion than you about the necessity , at least in our chosen breed, to prove themselves explicitly in manwork, there are many ways to "prove" a dog, and you pretty much have er' down as far as i'm concerned!

this one, to me, tells me alot about a "breeder"

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and so the disecting begins ...
Well, I am not real sure why you replied if you didn't want to play along??

:? :?

How about I make a deal.....

I will answer my question to you first.

Question to Steve:

My answer in regards to my mentors

My mentors train mostly in sport work and persoanl protection and compete in it as well. When the train and compete they do this at many different locations, not just their "home field".

They are fair with their dogs meaning they will teach moticationally but once that pup or green dog matures into an adult, understands what is being asked, and is old enough that it should be able to handle a correction they come down hard. No babying. One command, if no compliance a hard correction. If the dog falls apart and quits its a wash. If it goes into avoidance because of enviornmental or decoy pressure is is a wash. Dog must have courage and be committed to the man...They look for trials that are using decoys that are known for being able to really threaten a dog. They go to trials where the judges are known to be tough and not give titles away. Basically, they do everything they can to ensure their dogs can work thru stress.

My mentors do not avoid a problem if their dogs show an issue. If a weakenss is noticed they don't AVOID IT, they CONFRONT IT HEAD ON and see if, at all the dog can recover, and if so how fast. I notice alot of trainers avoid areas they know their dogs have trouble with. I do not agree with that at all.

My mentors don't make excuses for temperament problems.

I will probably think of more as the day goes on but I have to go to work now.

Your turn :wink:

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
hey lisa i think i asked you this before whats your dog's ped? i lie to have a look if ya donr mind see where your perfiect AB's come from i know R.E and boyds i think but what the ped's like can you post them for me i posted mine when you asked me thanks :wink:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Bremner53 said:
Oh just so you guys know, I don't actually have a mentor, that is just what I would look for in one :wink:
You're looking to breed?

Just a general question for ppl here, why look for a mentor if you're not looking to be a breeder? Are the people who are involved in this conversation aiming to become breeders? Or just making small talk. Just a lil confused that's all :wink:

I'd partake in this but I don't want to breed ever so it's a waste of my time to chat about. I once considered it, but for now I'd just like to inspire ppl to breed a certain way and/or convince them to do the breedings I want lol. Too much work involved in breeding. Even 1 litter. No thanks hehe.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
redbull said:
Bremner53 said:
Oh just so you guys know, I don't actually have a mentor, that is just what I would look for in one :wink:
You're looking to breed?

Just a general question for ppl here, why look for a mentor if you're not looking to be a breeder? Are the people who are involved in this conversation aiming to become breeders? Or just making small talk. Just a lil confused that's all :wink:

I'd partake in this but I don't want to breed ever so it's a waste of my time to chat about. I once considered it, but for now I'd just like to inspire ppl to breed a certain way and/or convince them to do the breedings I want lol. Too much work involved in breeding. Even 1 litter. No thanks hehe.
im working my way down that road but you guy's know that just taking my time and getting all the info i can swallow till the time is rite ! when ever tht may be next year 10 years down the road but ya iam working on it !

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
ALPHAMALE said:
iv spent quite a few months on the phone with differnt breeders picking there brains and asking ever the dum ist questions over the years ... so i got a long list of # 's how mutch time you got
if you pick it , it will never heal :toothy3:

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
attitude said:
ALPHAMALE said:
if you pick it , it will never heal :toothy3:
:munky2: is that what they told ya at your doctors cat you know there is a cream for that from what iv heard ! :lol:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.