Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am sitting here with a bloody lip and a heavy heart.
A little background: Riley an AB, just turned 5 months old, I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I got him from a BYB before I joined this forum and found out that a BYB is a backyard breeder and not an invitation to bring your own beer.
Before getting him I did a lot of reading about the breed so I knew what I was getting into. I am a single working mom with 3 teenagers. I refused to get a dog until the kids were old enough to really help out.
Riley is crated during the day for 6 hours while the kids are at school. He is completely housebroken, he gets lots of walks and exercise and play time between all of us. We went to puppy kindergarten and he has his basic commands down, sit, down, stay, still working on "come". I am dominant by nature, have a commanding voice and have been very consistant with his training. On the whole he is a great dog with all the usual puppy problems. He can "nip" while playing and the techniques I learned here work well, after a loud "ouch" and a firm "no bite" I put my hand back and he licks and nuzzles. He loves little kids, neighbor kids come over to play in the yard with him, under my supervision and there is usually no problems except,,,
When he is running around with the kids he will sometimes jump up and nip at them. When this happens, all playtime is stopped and he is brought in the house, I always figured he was too excited, it was never aggressive.
Now yesterday, my 17 year old daughter was jogging with him on a fenced soccer field when he got behind her, jumped up while running and bit her back.
Today when I got home from work I took him for a nice long walk. I could tell he didn't want to come home but I had things to do. We got inside, I was sitting on the couch and he started barking and trying to jump up on me for attention, at one point he seemed to snap at my face. I yelled at him to sit down, which he did but he continued barking. I was about to get up and walk away when he jumped up again, this time biting my lip and drawing blood! He doesn't have puppy teeth anymore and it hurt like hell. I was startled and mad as hell. I am ashamed to admit I wanted to smack him. I didn't, I stood up, yelled at him pretty loudly then walked out of the room. I have been pretty much ignoring him since and still speaking to him in a "mad" voice.
This biting is never accompanied by growling or any signs of aggression but I am worried and can not accept it. If he did that to someone else I am sure the cops would be involved in a heartbeat and he might get put down. I don't even want to think of that but I will if this "biting" keeps happening. I am really confused and heartbroken right now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, I think this is very normal behavior.

Sounds like a good AB. Above average prey drive. So, what is the problem. I thought you studied the breed before you bought it. If you did, you would know that these dogs were used to chase down prey. Depending on the bloodlines, many cannot help but chase and then they will bite. That is prey drive.

I liked your stopping of all play technique. What else do you do?

Now, you can use this in a great way or shut it down (use compulsion) to alter his behavior. I advise NOT to grab him by the scruff of the neck. There are safer and more smarter ways of dealing with aggression and disobedience. Don't think of it as a TEST of wills. Change your mindset. Work with him to see why he nips or bites. Try to understand that first, not just stop him from nipping by corrections.

Seems your dog is a bit not clear in the head. but you can easily correct this. It is up to YOU to show him.

First off, never let it off leash until it gets its advanced OB. Why did the dog chase your kid, anyways? Was it off leash? Don't train for failure. Use his drive to direct to his reward. When you do, he will know HOW to get a bite. Hmmmmm basically, it is bite training. When and when NOT to bite. Your dog is going to bite. It likes to bite. So, how do you train him.

You know what, forget it. Simple problem to solve, but I don't want to be accused of bashing a newbie. Let the "others" answer your problem. It would be interesting.

If you wish, you can PM me.
I think you have a dog with some drive. Typically, this is the sort of dog that does better in OB. Hell, it sounds like a nice dog to me!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
My female was exactly the same way at 5 months. She always jumped up and nipped when I ran, nipped during play, etc etc. You would never guess that now because she is so well behaved. Riley is a pup, an AB pup. He'll grow out of it. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Stopping play, a firm no worked for me. Also a whimpering sound when he nips you may work. He doesnt want to hurt you, just play. Arent puppys fun? :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
My dog Jack used to nip me in the butt while playing.(rude)LOL!! I would just turn around and say, NO!!! No bite!!! and I would offer him another solution.."Lick"..so now if he gets nippy with me I just say those majic words,"no bite!! Lick"!! he starts licking my hand in a sign of oops..sorry mom..it works :D And if my dog wants to lick my hand or face, I am totally cool with that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably over-reacted

Thanks everyone!
After a good night's sleep, a morning play session with Riley, and some coffee, and reading your responses I feel much better, I was over reacting about the bite to my lip.
I always tell him "no bite" when we are playing and he gets nippy. It always works. Sometimes he will be giving you kisses and then nips your chin which I correct right away.
I was just worried about the bite on the face when I was just sitting there. I guess he really just wanted my attention.
I wll keep him on his leash at all times. He just looks so happy when he can run around free in a big field. I will keep him leashed and just try to keep up with him! Especielly since he really doesn't have the "come" command down!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Just a thought here, some people aren't as forceful with their corrections, not MEAN or anything but just not "serious". Be sure you MEAN what you say with this dog - it sounds as if you need to be in charge and if you can't, you need to have someone show you how to do this.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Are you up to date on your tetanus shots ? Thurs night I got my thumb poked by Sassy's canine while holding the very short piece of bully stick she was chewing on (my bad), it hurt like crap, bled like a mofo, but I just washed it, triple antibiotic and bandaid, and didn't think much more about it. Yesterday I called my company's 24/7 nurse hot line and asked if I needed a shot. They suggested I get one if I hadn't had one in the last 7 or so years. Got the same story from my Dr's office (my records had no tetanus boosters listed) so I went in and got one. When I think tetanus, I think of rusty nails, cuts when fishing, yard work injuries...dirty wounds. But the spores live in the soil for years. Dogs walk in the dirt, then lick their feet soooo....

By the way, the shot is one of those that hurts more 24 hrs later. For me it's worse than the tooth hole, LOL.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Re: Well, I think this is very normal behavior.

PeterC said:
Sounds like a good AB. Above average prey drive. So, what is the problem. I thought you studied the breed before you bought it. If you did, you would know that these dogs were used to chase down prey. Depending on the bloodlines, many cannot help but chase and then they will bite. That is prey drive.

I liked your stopping of all play technique. What else do you do?

Now, you can use this in a great way or shut it down (use compulsion) to alter his behavior. I advise NOT to grab him by the scruff of the neck. There are safer and more smarter ways of dealing with aggression and disobedience. Don't think of it as a TEST of wills. Change your mindset. Work with him to see why he nips or bites. Try to understand that first, not just stop him from nipping by corrections.

Seems your dog is a bit not clear in the head. but you can easily correct this. It is up to YOU to show him.

First off, never let it off leash until it gets its advanced OB. Why did the dog chase your kid, anyways? Was it off leash? Don't train for failure. Use his drive to direct to his reward. When you do, he will know HOW to get a bite. Hmmmmm basically, it is bite training. When and when NOT to bite. Your dog is going to bite. It likes to bite. So, how do you train him.

You know what, forget it. Simple problem to solve, but I don't want to be accused of bashing a newbie. Let the "others" answer your problem. It would be interesting.

If you wish, you can PM me.
I think you have a dog with some drive. Typically, this is the sort of dog that does better in OB. Hell, it sounds like a nice dog to me!

That post had a little bit of the "i know more than you nanana, but not as much as some of your other posts, thanks for contributing a great post and helping the OP.

·
Registered
790 Posts
bigut64.......

I heard somewhere that bashing was unwanted. YOu do this is a subtle way. sneaky.

first, Do you want me to correct your comments and ride your a##? I think not.

Second. What helpful advice did you or CAN you give. Virtually none is my guess. "oh take it to a behavioralist" would be yours. LOL.

Third. I may not be the best trainer. In fact, I am not such a good pet trainer because I am very direct. However, I do have experience with aggression issues in bullies. That is a fact. AND CERTAINLY, I WILL SAY, FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN FROM YOUR POSTS, I AM A BETTER TRAINER THAN YOU. I will put a grand on that. Yes, $1000. Put up or shut up. Very simple.
I don't say shit that I don't know, like some people. I don't know more.........however, I have had experience and have had experience FIXING this sort of problem. MANY. What about YOU, bigut64? Please tell me. :evil:

Fourth. I think you have some self confidence issues. I am here to help people with bulldog issues. What about you? Seems you are here for the social aspects with nothing to add to TRAINING AND OBEDIENCE section of the forum.
Tell you what. Stay in the MISC. section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts