Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents got a new dog just before Christmas. I tried to suggest something big and docile but, no, instead they got an Eskimo Spitz from a rescue.
This dog has obviously been taught a couple things as a pup, sit, stay and walk on leash, sort of.
Well, this little dog (Riley) barks ALOT. He barks when someone is at the door. He barks when someone goes by. He barks when the neighbours are outside. He barks when he's in the car.
I've tried to suggest different training ideas to my mom such as ignoring him when he's barking (no looking, talking, petting, scolding) including using treats to reward him for good behaviour. No, she says, no treats. Instead they tell him repeatedly "stop barking, no barking, don't bark" and of course he doesn't stop. Or they smack him on the nose. He goes to the door in a low crouch position and barks at the visitor. Some people are afraid to enter the house unless he's put away. Most people I've seen will put their hand down to move him along but I'm afraid he's going to bite someone. He bit my husband on the calf at Christmas. I try to work with him a little when I'm there (not often) but I don't know how much good it does.
My mom informed me she's going to get him an "bark collar" but a little cheapie from the hardware store. I don't know if this is fair or if it'll work or if it'll just make him angry.
I know he's just a little dog (maybe 25 pounds) but he's got sharp little teeth!!
I've suggested obedience classes but that too falls on deaf ears.
WHAT CAN I DO???????????????????????????????????

**I wish I had one of those smileys smashing his head against a brick wall**

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That's unfortunate that she doesn't want to do obedience, but most classes do nothing for barking anyway. I don't think a bark collar on Riley will work because of the long hair. Those collars need to be right up against the neck to work. Maybe a simple squirt bottle would be effective.

I think the biting will take more interaction. He should be disciplined when he bites or tries to bite, and taught how to back off when your mom tells him to (i.e. obedience training).

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
A squirt bottle is a good idea, along with a command like "quiet" or "enough."

I have this problem with my Sophie. As I've said many many times, she's nuts. If she sees something outside, she will start barking and running around the room. It's like she gets into a zone that she can't get out of - she obsesses (about other things, too - she's nuts). I bought this thing from a hunting catalog called a "Barker Breaker." It doesn't shock the dog - it makes a loud noise they don't like. The one I have is manual - I just press the button and it makes a loud sound, then I followed it up with the "enough" command. It worked pretty quickly, and she eventually learned that "enough" means STFU, and stop whatever other nonsense you are doing.

Maybe one of those things can help with the barking problem.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks, I never thought about the long hair and the shock collar and for some reason a squirt bottle never occured to me eventhough I use one for Pete and the cats.
I saw a bark breaker thingy in a flyer this week and thought maybe that would help. Does it make a noise we can hear because my mom has a problem with high squealy noises and certain pitches...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.