Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searches and couldnt find any topics about this so I have to ask.

Im fostering a male Great Dane whos 4yrs old and his previous owner let him mouth their hands, he does it very firmly yet gentle at the same time. But this can be a scary experience for someone whos not expecting him to do it, BUT he only does it when he's ready to go outside for a bathroom break.

In his previous home he mouthed the couples 4yr old daughter and wich brought him to the rescue because they thought he was going to bite her. So we're really trying to kill this habit, before anyone gets the wrong idea about him.

Does anyone have any tips? Right now we've been correcting him with a firm "no" and removing our hand. But that's not really getting to him, he thinks we're playing with him and he'll do it again.

With his age is this something we're going to have alot of trouble correcting? Or maybe not being able to corret it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've broke puppies from mouthing, but with an adult dog that's doing it I just get lost.

Keep in mind, he does it when he wants to go to the bathroom.

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
Maybe he just needs a re-direction. When he mouths your hand, DO NOT take him outside. Instead, ask him, "do you need to go out?" in a higher pitched voice that lets him know that you want a response from him. When he gives you another indication other than mouthing, say, "Good Boy", and take him out. Keep working at this untill he gives you a vocal response, which is what you want from him when he needs to go out. But totally ignore the mouthing for a going out response. And if he mouths at other times, close his mouth with your hand and keep saying no until he gets the idea, then walk away from him to re-direct his thoughts. Habits are hard to break but they can be broken with repetitive training. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts