Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a f***ing WARNING on the bag! :angryfire: This will deffinately make you think twice next time you go to buy garden supplies!
This is a crosspost from a email.

Yesterday, one of our clients experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a
special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. I was
hoping you could forward this to your contact list.
My client was the doting owner of two young lab/golden retriever mixes. Over
the weekend, they purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden.
They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from
their garden. They set the bag in their yard. Their dog Calypso, decided that
the mulch smelled good enough to eat so she broke into it and devoured a large
helping. She vomited a few times which was typical of her when she would get
into something she shouldn?t have gotten in to. She was not acting lethargic
in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning
walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.
Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation
on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs. Denise
(Calypso's mom) wanted me to pass this information along so no one had to
experience the same tragedy she went through.
In Loving Memory of Calypso.
Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true
that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer
physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog).
However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."
True information about the mulch can be found here -

This site gives the following information:
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other
Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine".

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really
attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred
in the last It is lethal Just a word of caution ? check what you are using in
your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate, especially
dark or baker's chocolate, which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a
xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that
ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells
developed severe convulsions and died Cocoa be later. Analysis of the stomach
contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts
of theobromine.
Please click _here_ (mailto:[email protected]) to email the
manufacturer and request that accurate information about this product be posted
on the packaging to avoid further tragedy.
And please include Calypso's family in your prayers. Such tragedy is
shocking, made so much worse by the fact that it could have been avoided had the
manufacturers taken some responsibility for their product.
Thank You.

Word of caution on reddish colored mulches: Tho they look pretty they contain arsenic. Best not to use any red mulches for ALL animals' sakes. It comes from pressure treated wood chips, and pressure treated wood is treated with arsenic!

Kathy L and Crew

"Do no harm. Respect the healing power of nature"

5,279 Posts
Is it all mulch? Sorry I didnt go into the link cause well I am lazy but my dad has a really big garden and uses a ton of mulch over there and I take my dogs over all the time although I try and keep them out of the garden so my dad doesnt throw a fit but incase they do get in and eat or chew I really would like to know.Now I am worried?? I have some mulch around my house as well........................
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.