Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night we started our new agility classes and murphy starting barking aggressively to the trianer. he told us not to come back next week unless we have a muzzel on him. do any of your dogs wear a muzzel? i'm so worried about murphy's fear aggression. it is getting worse. now he barks and lunges at anyone who approaches me. it is getting out of control. i'm worried sick about it. what do i do?? i just talked to a trainer who recommened that we put him down. i just can't even let myself think of that.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I would go to a new trainer, and if you can, find one that deals with aggressive dogs. I would put the agility on hold until you have this problem taken care of.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with the idea of a new trainer. Being pragmatic you need to consider that it may come to putting the dog down. The breed doesnt need bad press, especially now with all the BSL hooplah. It sucks that it may come to that but as a dog owner especially with a bully, you have to be responsible. Definately exhaust all other resources but if it comes to it, face reality and do the right thing.

Good luck

Justin

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
kaner6 said:
I agree with the idea of a new trainer. Being pragmatic you need to consider that it may come to putting the dog down. The breed doesnt need bad press, especially now with all the BSL hooplah. It sucks that it may come to that but as a dog owner especially with a bully, you have to be responsible. Definately exhaust all other resources but if it comes to it, face reality and do the right thing.

Good luck

Justin
Good post Justin. I agree 100%. As much as we would all like to believe that all our dogs issues can be "fixed" often times this is just not the case. There is a big difference between a training issue and a temperament issue.

Murphy, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Lisa said:
kaner6 said:

Good luck

Justin
Good post Justin. I agree 100%. As much as we would all like to believe that all our dogs issues can be "fixed" often times this is just not the case. There is a big difference between a training issue and a temperament issue.

Murphy, I wish you luck.
Unfortunately this seems to be going around. We can thank our BYB's for alot of the problem. Dogs being bred without being tested. Lisa's right, sometimes even the best training can't fix the problem. People aggression is not a desireable trait, it's dangerous, not only to yourself but to anyone around you. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Kasco said:
Lisa said:
kaner6 said:

Good luck

Justin

Murphy, I wish you luck.
Unfortunately this seems to be going around. We can thank our BYB's for alot of the problem. Dogs being bred without being tested. Lisa's right, sometimes even the best training can't fix the problem. People aggression is not a desireable trait, it's dangerous, not only to yourself but to anyone around you. Good luck with him.
All of the above is great advice.....no matter how sad it may be.

But also take heed that putting a muzzle on your dog & putting him back into those situations will only escalate his defensiveness/fear aggression & make things much worse as now he's aware he doesn't have his teeth working for him. I've never seen a muzzle help in this situation.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Nice agility trainer (sarcastically speaking). I definetly would not go with the muzzel, consider a in-home proffesional dog behavorist look at the situation. I wouldn't resort to putting Murphy down, consider all your options and see what the professional has to say. (Personally I would go to a trainer that enjoys training bullies, the lab lover trainers are no help) Good luck, keep us up-dated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
While Petey does not have fear aggression, I have to muzzle my dog - it makes him very unhappy and he does everything he can to get it off. He suceeds quite often.
Seek a new trainer as everyone suggests.
All the best,
Lisa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts