Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not see this posted anywhere, if it has been please point me in the right direction. Zack's eyes and around his mouth and nose look pinker than normal. Is there something wrong. Should I bring him to the vet.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Has he been outside for any lenght of time lately? There is little or no hair around there to protect from the sun, and their skin is very fair, so they get burned pretty easily. Maddi gets it every once in a while if she's outside longer than I'd anticipated her being out.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
ALso, a dog's skin will get pink when their blood pressure is elevated (even slightly). I know when my AB has been running around and playing, he's skin gets pink (his eyes even get a little bloodshot). If he's REALLY been playing hard, his skin will remain pink for awhile (even when he's passed out on the floor from exhaustion :D ). It gets the most pink if he's stressed out (ie: at the vet or somewhere new).

As long as it's something that goes away on it's own during a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't worry about it. And definitely put sunblock on him (Waterbabies is the best) if you think it could be sunburn.

Tara

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I did not know he could get sunburned. We have been outside a lot, the weather is like spring time (go figure Louisiana weather) My kids have been out playing in shorts in February. 8)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
coco said:
Thanks for the info. I did not know he could get sunburned. We have been outside a lot, the weather is like spring time (go figure Louisiana weather) My kids have been out playing in shorts in February. 8)
You're welcome :). Get some high SPF hypoallergenic baby sunscreen with no fragrance and just rub it on those areas before they go outside (or get the spray on kind, it's easier....just make sure it's hypoallergenic and fragrance free).

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Scarlet when she was a pup...she had solar dermatitus....which is a mild skin reaction to the sun. She would get pink spots all over with little black spec in it. She has since grown out of it but she had pink normally around her eyes and right under her nose on her lip. To this day if she is outside for a while...her skin gets sunburnt. We usually do put sunblock on the back of her ears(bullfrog quick dry) because they are always pointed towards the sun. We never put it on her face though. I dont want it in her eye or mouth but...just like with people...light pinker skined tend to burn alot easier. Believe me I know this....I am as pale as a ghost unfortunanlty!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts