Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm new here my ab lucy has been getting up slowly and seems to take it easy when sitting i think her hips are bothering her. she seems to have a slight arch in her back when standing, shes lazy but i know that can be part of the breeds nature. but when she plays she seems fine running around chacing my other dog and just being a puppy(7 months)
she doesn't whine or anything. sometimes she sits on one hind quarter and other times she sits on both almost like she's sitting indian style if anybody can help me figure this out i would appriciate it
i'm worried about hip dysplacia tell me what you think

lucy's mommy

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
lucygoosy said:
hi i'm new here my ab lucy has been getting up slowly and seems to take it easy when sitting i think her hips are bothering her. she seems to have a slight arch in her back when standing, shes lazy but i know that can be part of the breeds nature. but when she plays she seems fine running around chacing my other dog and just being a puppy(7 months)
she doesn't whine or anything. sometimes she sits on one hind quarter and other times she sits on both almost like she's sitting indian style if anybody can help me figure this out i would appriciate it

lucy's mommy
ABs are very likely to get hip dysplasia - get some xrays done at your vet.

·
Registered
703 Posts
yes this does sound like hip dsyplasia. Do have her seen by your vet. I also suggest a multi vitamin with calcium, this WILL help. I once had a very large German Sheppard 120lbs + I started him on it early because of the hip dysplasia problems that tend to occur with large dogs. It helped him for along time he lived to a very good age of 13yrs. Best of luck!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know lots of ABs (including my own) and EBs who sit like that. Mine almost always sits that way if he is on the furniture. We call it sitting on his "dog a$$". I know for a fact that he doesn't have dysplasia. I would be more concerned about the back arching thing. Did you get a certificate for hips & elbows when you got the dog? Lower back malformations/injuries aren't all that uncommon. Pancreatitis causes dogs to arch like that also. Have your vet check the dog out and maybe get some films.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didn't get any hip or elbow papers but i shecked the pedigree and thought the back round looked pretty good but i don't know all that much about pedigrees so maybe one of you could look and see what you think

the breeder site is doublezameicanbulldogs.com

any feed back on this is appreciated

thanks again lucys mommy

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I would definitly get his hips x-rayed or at least checked. My dog Chico started having problems around that age. He has hip dysplasia. The best vitamin you can get Lucy on is Esther-C. You can get it at any vitamin store. Give at east 2000mgs. I give Chico 4000mgs. If she gets diahrea, cut back but build up over time. Also, glucosamine/Chondroitin/msm works really well. You need to give at least 1500mgs. of glucosamine if your dog is having joint problems. Too much calcium is dangerous for a dog that is still growing. It can cause serious skeletal problems down the line so I would avoid giving extra of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds very similair to the symptoms Our AB exibited. He has had both hips replaced and just turned one today. So far so good. As others have said, get some X-rays. If it turns out she has hip disp. and you have any questions about the process of hip replacement PM me. I know from experience its a worrysome process.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Simple solution.

go to a vet. Do a OFA prelim. on hiP AND elbows. ALL owners of AB should do this if you bought from a PROPER breeder. If it has something worse than mild, then return it. Simple.

If it is a pet, mild HD is not bad. Keep him light and not fat like most ABs I see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
go to a vet. Do a OFA prelim. on hiP AND elbows. ALL owners of AB should do this if you bought from a PROPER breeder. If it has something worse than mild, then return it. Simple.
Good advice, but I disagree on it being simple. Most of the time (our case for sure), you find out he or she has disp. month after you have had the puppy and returning it after you have become attached is not really an option. Since we all know what the typical breeder will do to the dog after it is returned.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sorry, I think it is very simple. Black and white. Because if you do not do it sooner, the deeper the emotional attachment. Let logic take precedence. Being a breeder is hard. You have to IMPROVE THE BREED. That is why there are not too many true breeders around.

First, I think it is stupid or extremely uneducated about the breed, to buy from ANYONE who does not hip AND elbow test with the OFA or Penn Hip. The chances are 50/50 you will get a crapper. Those are not good odds. Even IF the breeder is meticulous about hip testing, chances are you will get a few, but at a much lower percentage. The key is diligence and ethics! Again, I think 99% of "breeders" are pretenders.

I put down my Butcher with hip issues. You want to see the saddest thing in the world? How about a dog with drive up his wazoo that is dying to work, but cannot because his hips fell apart, getting worse every day. That is saddness you can see in his eyes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Seriously, sitting like that has nothing to do with dysplasia and more to do with the bulldog's natural affinity for goofiness. Just have your dog x-rayed before assuming it is hip dysplasia, no need to panic until you know for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts