Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon my six month old English Bulldog went to the vet for vaccinations,and by 10pm she had to be put to sleep.She had allergic reaction to the medication,and effected her breathing.The doctor came into room I was wating in and told me to come back,she begin to explain that she has her on oxygen,and that her gums were gray.I went back and started talking to her,but there was no response,not even with a treat in my hand.I immediately called my boyfriend to come up to meet us.The doctor said she wanted to take her to the emergency vet for futher observation, so we put her in the car with the oxygen tank,and I road with the doctor while following my boyfriend.As soon as we arrived the ER vets took over,and took her to a special oxygen cage.They let us come back to see her,and she was sitting up on her own,but still had a blank look on her face.The vets explained they wanted to take xrays to see what was gong on,and they would let us know.We left,and on the way home they called my boyfriend who was following me home,and told him she just went into cadiac arrest,so we rushed back.When we got there the doctor explained as soon as they took her for xrays she begin to vomit blood,and thats when it happened.She could no longer breathe on her own.They said they coul keep her on a ventilator,but she would have a small chance for survival for breathing on her own,I broke down,as well as my boyfriend.We had to make a choice,to let her live like that or let her go.I wanted to see her one last time.I walked back to where they had her,and some guy is pumping air into her lungs,as they monitor her heart,she had such a big heart.I couldn't watch anymore,and I made the call.I've had many animals,but never felt the way Ifelt about her, she always brought a smile to my face as everyone else.Don't take your animals for granted.I have to big dogs as well.I've been home almost an hour and it dosen't feel the same.My dog had problems with head tremors and this is how I found you guys,your website has been great,Thank you.Dawn dada

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Where do you live? I'm surprised that an allergic reaction wasn't treated right away with Benadryl and epinephrine?? What kind of vet gives a vaccine and doesn't have Epi hanging around for instances like this??
I'm so sorry for your loss...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh my gosh...this is so sad :cry: I am so sorry.....our prayers are with you..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just reading that made me tear up as I have a 4 month old EB and I can't imagine going through that! I am terribly sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you. Keep your head up and remember everything happens for a reason....it was her time to go.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well I am really appalled that the original vet had to go to an ER vet to get treatment for this dog. Any vet giving injections has to be aware of the possibility, although somewhat remote (not sure the statistics) of an allergic reaction.

We are 30 or 35 miles from our ER vet, if our vet didn't have the proper supplies to treat an allergic reaction and my dog died because we had to drive to an ER vet, the original vet would be paying the ER bill, AND compensating me for the loss of my beloved pet.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
msvette2u said:
Well I am really appalled that the original vet had to go to an ER vet to get treatment for this dog. Any vet giving injections has to be aware of the possibility, although somewhat remote (not sure the statistics) of an allergic reaction.

We are 30 or 35 miles from our ER vet, if our vet didn't have the proper supplies to treat an allergic reaction and my dog died because we had to drive to an ER vet, the original vet would be paying the ER bill, AND compensating me for the loss of my beloved pet.
I think this person is probably grieving too much to think about things like this right now. It's very unfortunate, yes.

I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
So sorry to hear of the loss of your baby girl. My sincerest condolences to you.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
msvette2u said:

I think this person is probably grieving too much to think about things like this right now. It's very unfortunate, yes.

I am sorry for your loss.
I'm sure. That's why I posted it, so she can come back when she's ready, and find this suggestion, then act on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So sorry!

That was heartbreaking! I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what you are feeling right now. Please let yourself grieve and take care!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. May Roxanne rest in peace and I hope you and your boyfriend can find peace as well. It is so hard to loose a beloved pet. :cry:

·
Registered
588 Posts
*hugs* I am so sorry! I wish there was something I could to do make you and your family feel better.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, i have tears in my eyes reading it out to Andrew. You are right in what you say do not take your pets for granted. :cry:

Fiona.x

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss!

I'm very suspiscious of vaccines, I only get the puppy ones and then rabies every three years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts