Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I miss him sooooo much. Elwood was my gift from God. When I was in a severe depression, a friend insisted I needed puppy therapy. She took me to her friend's house where there were 2 Boxers left from a small litter. I lounged on the futon on the floor and Elwood crawled up to my (sizable) chest and curled up. He fell asleep. I fell in love.

I was living with my parents (just after college) and my dad wouldn't have a dog in the house, so I didn't dwell on having Elwood. Then my dad died a few days later. The family all thought it was a good idea to get a dog. I knew just the one! I called the breeder immediately and claimed Elwood. Just in time, I might add - they were going to crop his ears.

My uncle drove me 20 miles through a blizzard to get the furball. He was the cutest little fuzzy creature. There were times that first year I thought I'd kill him. Fortunately we made it through that and he became the most wonderful companion you could ever ask for.

He LOVED the car. I took him everywhere with me, temperatures allowing. He got to meet lots of people that way. My mom works at a work place for adults with developmental disabilities. Whenever I stopped there a dozen people would come out to see him. He adored being petted and hugged and loved. He licked their faces and wagged his tail like there was no tomorrow. He was incessently happy.

We were together 9 years when he got sick. First it was reduced kidney function, then cardiomyopathy. I didn't know it was common in Boxers until I read up on it after he got sick. Medications didn't help and he kept getting sicker. He became too weak to take more than a couple steps at a time and the fluid build-up in his chest and abdomen wouldn't let him get comfortable laying down. Deciding to let him go was the hardest thing I've ever done, but it was the right and compassionate thing to do.

The bond between a human and her dog is unlike any other relationship in the world. Now that I've experienced that my life would be incomplete without it. No dog will replace Elwood, but he taught me a lot about love. That's what I'll take into my coming partnership.

So that's the short story. LOL!!!!

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Good - bye all my babies

There are to many of my beloved pets that have come and gone in my life. I loved them all so very much. The most recent one was my big girl Jesse who passed on this past July 4th. She is missed. The most missed it my pup JD who was the first dog I got when I got married and before children. She was my child and my loyal friend. All my others have be many many years but sometimes feel like it was yesterday. Good bye to all.
I loves you so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.