Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pittbull from ferris texas scrappy. When we first got him he was on the verge of swimming in his own drool. What i want to know is how do you make a country dog more used to city life. I watched the Dog Whisperer show but it says don't use those techniques without a professional. I also learned WHY he was so scared through that show. i know i'll probably come out as a moron somehow with you people but gimme some help here he is on the path to being a fear biter. He won't allow anyone but me and my family near him or he pulls backward on the leash or tries to run away from them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
When other people are in danger (or will be when he gets bigger) you can't give too much advice on stuff like this. There are too many things like body language and reactions that you would need to see first hand. You need to take your pup to a proffessional trainer who has experience in bully breeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scrappy needs socialization. When he acts scared, do not comfort him or tell him it's OK - that sends a signal that acting frightened is appropriate behavior.

Instead, act like whatever is scaring Scrappy is no big deal. Remember, he should be looking up to you as pack leader for guidance.

Another trick is to feed Scrappy in the presence of whatever it is that is scaring him. For instance, my pup Redhead was nervous about going for walks when I first got him. So I started giving Redhead his meals out ont he street. After we walked a little while, he got to eat. Each meal was a little further from home. He got the picture pretty quick, and Redhead is NOT exactly a fast learner.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Is this the dog you are thinking of breeding?

Good dogs don't need to be conditioned to a new enviornment and aren't afraid of friendly strangers. If a dog is scared of people or a new enviornment, it is weak in temperament anddefintiely shouldn't be used for breeding. Fearful dogs have no place in the gene pool.

This dog actually sounds dangerous, and I wouldn't be bringing it around kids.

You should seriously consider nuetering your dog, not breeding it, and find a good trainer who has experience with fearful dogs and who isn't afraid of getting bit. If training doesn't work (and there is a chance it won't), then well.....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Blockhead said:
I have a pittbull from ferris texas scrappy. When we first got him he was on the verge of swimming in his own drool. What i want to know is how do you make a country dog more used to city life. I watched the Dog Whisperer show but it says don't use those techniques without a professional. I also learned WHY he was so scared through that show. i know i'll probably come out as a moron somehow with you people but gimme some help here he is on the path to being a fear biter. He won't allow anyone but me and my family near him or he pulls backward on the leash or tries to run away from them.
Lisa I'm confused Where does it say he was going to breed this dog? He is just asking for help to *eas* the dog out of it's bad habit.

Blockhead 1st welcome to the forum! and no you don't sound like a moron. I would try what SidFinster suggest until you can find a trainer. Best of luck.

Oh and welcome to you too SidFinster!

·
Registered
703 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
She is saying that about the breeding b/c one of his other posts asked about the age a dog can breed.
Oh ok then. Maybe she should have posted that question to him under that post (just my opinion) because this is how arguments are started. I read a couple of other posts prior to this one and it sounds like another war is about to begin. (culling & whats wrong with this picture, etc. just for example) Sorry if this adds fuel to the fire, didn't mean to it just got me a little tristed.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Josie's Proud Mom said:
deuce's mommy said:
She is saying that about the breeding b/c one of his other posts asked about the age a dog can breed.
Oh ok then. Maybe she should have posted that question to him under that post (just my opinion) because this is how arguments are started. I read a couple of other posts prior to this one and it sounds like another war is about to begin. (culling & whats wrong with this picture, etc. just for example) Sorry if this adds fuel to the fire, didn't mean to it just got me a little tristed.
Although I understand your point, I must also add that it's kind of hard to forget post from people who say they want to put big chains and padlocks on their dogs necks to make them more muscular....then asks when he's ready to be bred. Kinda hard to take someone like that seriously and welcome them with open arms.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
technically he never said he was going to breed. I know sort of an odd question if you aren't going to breed. But he did say he was just curious... I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Josie's Proud Mom said:
deuce's mommy said:
imho, debate is healthy. i guess the word "argument" is subjective because i have seen many heated debates on this board but few "arguments". any debate that educates, no matter how heated, is good. it is when the posters lower themselves to name calling and personal attacks that it becomes counter productive.

as for the problem at hand... yes blockhead you really should
A) if you are planning on breeding this dog, reconsider. he is not a good choice
B) find yourself a good trainer with bully experience and get control of the problem b4 it gets completely out of hand.

you will notice i don't say FIX the problem. you can't fix poor nerve, you can only hope to control the problem.
what area are you in? perhaps we know of someone near you that could help

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lisa said:
Is this the dog you are thinking of breeding?

Good dogs don't need to be conditioned to a new enviornment and aren't afraid of friendly strangers. If a dog is scared of people or a new enviornment, it is weak in temperament anddefintiely shouldn't be used for breeding. Fearful dogs have no place in the gene pool.

This dog actually sounds dangerous, and I wouldn't be bringing it around kids.

You should seriously consider nuetering your dog, not breeding it, and find a good trainer who has experience with fearful dogs and who isn't afraid of getting bit. If training doesn't work (and there is a chance it won't), then well.....
I am going to neuter him now that you guys have scared me silly.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what area are you in? perhaps we know of someone near you that could help
I'm in North Dallas basically, a big city called Plano.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and im not going to put padlocks or chains around his neck, i realize how inhumane this is. i am not going to breed him, he will be neutered asap.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Blockhead said:
Oh and im not going to put padlocks or chains around his neck, i realize how inhumane this is. i am not going to breed him, he will be neutered asap.
=D>

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks i think me and Scrappy should have a long time together.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have already trained him to sit, down, come, and wait. It just that he does it when he feels like it. So for now on i won't give him anything special until he performs a couple tasks first.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Blockhead said:
i have already trained him to sit, down, come, and wait. It just that he does it when he feels like it. So for now on i won't give him anything special until he performs a couple tasks first.
To make him consistent in listening to you, do it with treats. Just keep doing it over and over until he gets it and give him a treat everytime and then slowly take treats out of the picture. Like make him sit 5 times in a row, but only give him 3 or 4 treats. Sounds like your off to a good start! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts