Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my dog to the baseball feild and now he is limping its his right rear leg. We where playing in the house before we left and played a little at the feild, but nothing crazy but he did run at me and make some short stops. Definitly nothing that I saw that would hurt him. He came out of the kitchen totally limping and not putting any weight on it. The first thing I did was look at his foot (PAD) and there is nothing in it and it looks normal, I touched his whole leg and all over his body, kinda prodding him to see if I could find the spot that was the problem. He made no indication of pain, he has full range of motion and I made him walk a little and after a few steps he started almost fully using the leg. I guess he loosened up? Did he just twist his ankle, hip, knee or something? Is there anything else I can do? Ice? something? I feel so bad for my puppy. :cry: :cry:

· Banned
2,458 Posts
How's Big mack today? Is he still limping? If he is, I'd give the vet a call...it could be something very minor that will just take time and rest to heal. If it's something more serious, you want to have it looked at sooner rather than later.

Let us know how he's doing!

· Agent Squint
2,964 Posts
Try not to comfort the dog when in pain, dogs are gr8 suckers for that kind of loving, not that im saying there is nowt wrong....but if I had a pound for every time Roxy's milk'd a leg injury.......

· Registered
5,111 Posts
BigMack said:
Mack seems fine today... :lol:
Im glad Mack is feeling better - he may just have bumped it - but his symptoms are the same as an ACL tear - so you just need to watch for any continued limping or carrying it up. Even if it is torn he won't feel pain when you touch it - it has to be moved in a certain way to be sure (my Magnum tore hers last year) - so just keep an eye on him and get him to the vet if he keeps limping.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bodazafa said:
BigMack said:
Mack seems fine today... :lol:
Im glad Mack is feeling better - he may just have bumped it - but his symptoms are the same as an ACL tear - so you just need to watch for any continued limping or carrying it up. Even if it is torn he won't feel pain when you touch it - it has to be moved in a certain way to be sure (my Magnum tore hers last year) - so just keep an eye on him and get him to the vet if he keeps limping.
Well I spoke to soon, he was limping slightly when we got back from his walk. I talked to the vet and if its still there tomorrow I will go first thing in the morning. :cry: :cry: this sucks.

· Registered
1,213 Posts
Oh poor guy. Hope it is nothing serious.

· Registered
11,496 Posts
Orson had to have surgery for his back leg limping, it was the dreaded luxating patella (slipping kneecap). It is supposidly common in english bulldogs! He was limping off and on for a few weeks, one day perfect walk the next day limping.
Finally he went a few days of total limping and I knew something was wrong. Vet did xrays and saw the kneecap
was out of place, that is why sometimes he didn't limp, cause the kneecap would
slip back into the correct position. He had to have a pin placed in his
knee to keep it in place. Like I posted in an earlier thread, 6 months later and
he has no problems, good as new except for a scar.
I just hope Big Mack only has a sprain!!!

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I definitly dont think its a sprain anymore, I talked to my aunt and the vet at there animal hospital. I described the condition and mentioned that we have noticed that he has never really put his full weight on the leg when just standing. (only had him for 2+months) We just thought it was how he stood like kinda leaning to one side to rest, because he walks, runs, jumps, plays, and everything else with motion totally normal. The vet said it sounds like an on going problem, and from the description I gave it sounds like an ACL. But we wont know until I bring him in... I have definitly noticed that he favors that leg, I just never thought anything about it unti now. He would look like he was standing on it but there was very little weight on it. The first time I noticed was I was drying he paws after a rainy walk, the leg just lifted right up because he wasnt standing on it, and he didnt want to give me his other rear leg. Now that was about a month or more ago. The more and more I think about it the more and more I am remembering little different hints that his leg was messed up! This sucks I feel bad for my puppy that he has had this going on for who knows how long. Maybe thats the reason the guy got rid of him, people :roll: ... Well no matter what it costs me, vet said maybe $1300 for an ACL and they do about 1 a month..I hope it is something as easy as they say an ACL fix is.

But he is doing much better today, almost no problems at all. :cry: :cry:

· Super Moderator
14,603 Posts
You know Clara, my apbt, is always having a nail lift up and off a new nail
growing in. Each time this happens, it gets sore and she favors that foot
and lifts it up and does not want to stand on it. This may not be Mack's
problem, but worth a check.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gazar said:
You know Clara, my apbt, is always having a nail lift up and off a new nail
growing in. Each time this happens, it gets sore and she favors that foot
and lifts it up and does not want to stand on it. This may not be Mack's
problem, but worth a check.
Thanks for the thought, I wish it was that simple. But it happened right after he was running around like never before. I will get a definite answer when the vet see's him.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I just took mack out for a walk and he hasnt kicked his feet since last night and he always does. Very violently, he throws grass and rocks and dirt for 10 feet sometimes. Then most of the time after he does a #2 he will stand for a second then take off in a crazy sprint. Well again he hasnt done that since his injury. Well tonight he did them both like there was no problem, but just before I took him out I woke him up and he was limping. WTF? I know there is know way to tell until I get him to the vet, I am going to try and make it tomorrow, I just need to see how work goes. I am just trying to figure out whats going one here.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.