Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good or bad?

When I take him on walks and he sees other dogs he never barks or pull. I normally tell him to stop and sit whenever another dog approaches. He's very calm. He's only 8 months old. Is it too early too tell?

·
Registered
790 Posts
prey aggression

There are many forms of aggression or drives that the dog has to engage an adversary.

Prey aggression is the drive that gets the dog to go after a prey object and kill it.

A wolf going after a rabbit is a prime example.

It is a form of prey drive, but much more serious. It is the desire to engage and kill a prey. These types of dogs with high prey aggression are not for your average pet owner because it is hard to control the dog when it is truly in drive.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Dogs don't need to act aggressively towards other dogs in order to have prey drive.

Both my dogs have high prey drive. My males prey drive is off the charts but he is not in any way dog aggressive. Dominant as hell and will not back down when challenged, but not dog aggressive so to speak. He usually ignores other dogs if they ignore him and that's the way I like it.

Asian, what kind of dog do you have?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
is it just me, cause i am confused. are you saying you are upset or worried cause your dog doesn't pull and bark at other dogs? the fact that he doesn't has nothing to do with his "prey drive". what it does say is he has enough manners and respect to know better

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a pitbull. I actually had a rednose before and whenever he sees another dog something in him just turns on and he is almost uncontrolable. But he was around 2 years old. My dog is 8 months. I was wondering if it was too early to find out if he has any aggression at all.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Just curious as to why you want to know if your dog has any aggression?
It may be my mistake but dont all dogs have some sort of an aggressive side?
Are you looking to find out what sets him off?
I am not understanding why you would want to find this out,any reason why?

Sorry for all the questions but I just don't get it.Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kelly said:

Sorry for all the questions but I just don't get it.Am I missing something here?
Yes - the true nature of an APBT is dog agression. That being said and I'm not answering for Asian - merely guessing, that he's curious that his dog isn't showing a normal trait in the breed.

IMHO, it varies from dog to dog if any at all dog agression is displayed.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
E-Dogg said:
Kelly said:

Yes - the true nature of an APBT is dog agression. That being said and I'm not answering for Asian - merely guessing, that he's curious that his dog isn't showing a normal trait in the breed.
IMHO, it varies from dog to dog if any at all dog agression is displayed.

Pretty much what E-Dogg said. APBT nature is dog aggression. I didn't know if he was too young to tell. I don't want to be walking him during the day if dog aggression is unpredictable.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Asian, then fix the problem. Train the dog that it is unacceptable.

I know some of the game stuff, it is nearly impossible. However, what do YOU do to show that it is unacceptable? Do you just accept it? Tell me what you do, exactly.

There is nothing more embarassing than a owner of a pit with his dog all going crazy at the end of the leash and the owner screaming at his dog. Fix the problem.

YOu control his air, he will stop. Simple. If you cannot contol him, get another dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts