Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please give me some pointers or suggestions please. This is my first time trying to train a dog from a pup. Everytime I put her in the crate she howls, barks and whines forever and gnaws at the bars on the cage. Is this normal? This goes on for like an hour than she will sleep for an hour and do it all over again. It seems so inhumane to do this. I feel sorry for her but dont think I am suppose to take her out and coddle her when she does this. Even if I take her out she whines to be in my lap 24/7. I am assuming its because she is so young. I am just a firm believer that animals dont belong on furniture. Am I going about this the wrong way. PaLeeeeeze Help me. Thank you. :D

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Is she in the same room as you when she is in the crate? If so try putting her in a different room. But you are doing the right thing by not cattering to her when she does this because they are smart and will catch on. I would try putting a blanket over the top and sides of her crate to see if this helps. We have been lucky that Faith does good in her crate. But she was already 6 months old when we got her.

·
Registered
914 Posts
oh god. I had this problem with gordy for what seems like forever. He is finaly getting to love his crate. You are doing the right thing. Just act like you dont here it. It will work. I hated leaving Gordy in there like that. Plus I know the barking gets anoying. Evertime he goes in his crate just give him a treat and say good boy. Leave and dont let him out.the biggest problem i had with gordy is if i walked buy his crate and he seen me and new i was arround that was the worst he would bark cry. Even try to headbutt his way out. Now When i go to let him out He dont even want to sometimes. lol Just stay calm and dont let him out when he wines. It will get better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
what type of crate do you have? our dog cried and hated the metal crate we had for him, but then i bought one of those lightweight mesh crates and he seemed to like it much better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crate I have is a small wire crate. Its not very big. Its about double the size she needs for her presently. I have it divided in half.

How long can they stay in there before needing a to go outside. I dont want to sound cruel in anyway but I work 14hours straight three days a week so I need to put her in there around 9 until 4am in the morning. I am no good without 6 hours sleep. If her being in there 6 hours is too long than I will have to set my alarm twice. Thank you for the help this is my first pup and dont want to make too many mistakes. Atleast my son reaps the benefits of the mistakes I made with my daughter. Lifes always easier the second time around.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
How old is she now? Most pups, up until about 5 months of age or so, need to get up in the middle of the night to relieve themselves.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is 8 weeks old. I figured that she was a little too young for 6 hours. Sometimes thats even long for me. Thank you

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WooHoo, for me. Tashia has slept in the cage through the night two nights in a row. She didnt even want to get out when I went to let her out in the morning.

Had to bait her into it with some cheese cubes but it worked. Thank you for the help everyone. Going to try for three nights in a row. My told me an trick if anyone needs the help. I put my slippers right in front of the cage and it calms her down. Lord knows why, I wouldn't put my face in my slipper.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If I remember correctly I read once that it was like an hour for every 10 pounds. Thats how long they can hold there badder. But I may not be tottally correct. Another good thing about a crate is they do not wanna soil were they sleep so it trains thier bladder to hold it longer.I will look in one of my books and make sure that info was correct.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, well patience is something I have never learned but this little 8 week old girl is going to make me learn...lol. She is doing well with the cage now. I was worried that I would give in because she was relentless when i tried to put her in it. But she is adapting well. I owe everyone here a beer....or a doggie treat. Cheese squares on the house!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Champ_and_jas said:
If I remember correctly I read once that it was like an hour for every 10 pounds. Thats how long they can hold there badder. But I may not be tottally correct. Another good thing about a crate is they do not wanna soil were they sleep so it trains thier bladder to hold it longer.I will look in one of my books and make sure that info was correct.
I've always heard that pups can generally hold their bladder for as many hours as they are months old. For example, a 2-month-old pup can hold it for 2 hours (if it has to...it's better to let it out every half hour or hour, if possible!) There is a cut off, though. A 12-month-old dog probably can't hold it for 12 hours...hehe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts