Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old Ab and it is too friendly when it see anyone he jump on them and licks them I was wondering if he will grow out of it or not.....because Im scared that one day someone will take him or he won't be a good watch dog

·
Registered
790 Posts
Laloc, if your 5 month old AB was NOT trying to lick everyone and greet everyone it meets, I would return it as a garbage back to the breeder.

Dude, when you were 7 years old, were YOU tough and try to be "bully"? Think about what you are saying. ABs are VERY slow to mature. It is not a shepard or a malinois.

Some lines are more protective, most lines of ABs are not. I like them friendly. It shows me confidence.

If your dog at 5 months start to growl and have hackles all up, dammmmmmmmm, I would say you have a shitter.

Your dog has not even gone through the "fear" stage yet. When he is around 14-16 months old, his protective insticts will kick in, if properly bred. Until then, it is a goofy goofy love monger, as it should be.

Give it time.........it gets better. Just train your dog so you can control him when it does kick in.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There's nothing cooler

To me there's nothing better than a pitbull that kisses you to death. I would take your dog in a heartbeat, but I already have one. She'd go home with anybody.

You have a gift,

jackieboy

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I find nothing wrong with this behavior... I have a 6 month old pitbull, and a 3 year old boxer, and BOTH do the same! Wouldn't you rather have a dog that goes around licking people, instead of biting people? And as long as you keep him under good supervision you shouldn't have a problem with someone taking him. As far as being a watch dog is concerned...I have no comment on that one!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
PeterC said:
Until then, it is a goofy goofy love monger, as it should be.
:lol: :lol: Hehe. That is exactly my dog!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Gracie is like this too, and while it can get annoying, we enjoy it for now. she loves everybody, has to stop and be petted and lick everyone. She just wants praise and affection from everyone and wants to give it as well, just part of being a puppy imo. Although we've all seen dogs scared of their own shadows, shaking and wary of strangers, but Id take my super friendly, goofy, Bully Gracie anyday.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Being a good watch dog does not mean agressive in my mind. A confident dog will stand its ground. Most people don't want to learn the hard way if your dog is friendly or not. Our six and a half month old AB is almost 70lbs. already and a lot of people take one look at her and cross the street. She's a licker to be sure but like others have said, as she gets older she is getting more and more confident and stand offish in certain situations. We are doing our best to make sure her friendly nature dosen't dissapear completely as she matures. You gotta love a face licker PB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts