Votes: 0 0.0%
  • American Dog Breeders Association

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can i get Scrappy registered if his parents were registered. I want to register him with the ADBA, or the UKC (not a fan of the AKC) but they both need pedigrees and registered parents. I might just register him with the CKC just so that he can have papers and participate in weight pulls, and other events.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't completely love of any of those

and here a brief reason:

AKC-Some of their fees are outrageously overpriced, like late registration after 6 months of recieving the dog, $65.00. printed copy of the 5 generation pedigree, $40.00$!!! for a piece of paper!!! On a positive note, you can almost guarentee the dog is purebred, unless someone is doing a sneaky-switchy with dogs and paperwork. I do have 2 AKC reg dogs though, I just don't buy into the extra fees.

UKC-It is a cheaper knock off of the AKC, definately better than the CKC, and not as lenient on what they will register.

CKC-you could register any dog or mix and they will give it a name(labradoodle) and take your $$. There is no guarentee of a purebred dog, all they require is two photos and a statement from any two people saying that the dog is purebred("hey dude on the street, does this dog look purebred to you, will you sign this?") I don't think I could trust a registry like this. Also a puppymill favorite for these reasons.

IMO, AKC is definately the most reputable and widely recognized of the three youu listed, and woudl be my first choice of the three.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I dont think saying that the UKC is a cheap knockoff of the AKC is a very valid statement. How do you figure?

·
Registered
181 Posts
If I recall correctly, your Scrappy is an APBT. This eliminates the AKC right off (regardless of what you think of them), because the APBT are not recognized by the AKC.

The UKC registers APBTs, but I think they will require proof of Scrappy's parents' registration (with them, as APBTs). Without that, my advice would be to apply for an ILP registration (don't remember precisely what "ILP" stands for - sorry). Basically (I think), you send photos of Scrappy and if they agree that he matches the breed standard in essentials, they give you a limited registration that permits you to compete in various areas but is NOT valid for conformation showing or for breeding. But you had decided to have Scrappy neutered, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can find out more info on ILP registration on the UKC's website.

I have no idea about the ADBA, but would assume that they require proof of his breeding to give you a full registration - perhaps they have a similar "limited" registration for performance competitions?

I have nothing positive to suggest about CKC.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Chynasmom said:
The UKC registers APBTs, but I think they will require proof of Scrappy's parents' registration (with them, as APBTs). Without that, my advice would be to apply for an ILP registration (don't remember precisely what "ILP" stands for - sorry). Basically (I think), you send photos of Scrappy and if they agree that he matches the breed standard in essentials, they give you a limited registration that permits you to compete in various areas but is NOT valid for conformation showing or for breeding. But you had decided to have Scrappy neutered, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can find out more info on ILP registration on the UKC's website.

I have no idea about the ADBA, but would assume that they require proof of his breeding to give you a full registration - perhaps they have a similar "limited" registration for performance competitions?

I have nothing positive to suggest about CKC.
Ok, the UKC does not register any apbt w/out proof that any of the lineage was papered in the past. If you dont know its background, you cannot register that pup with pics(anymore) HOWEVER the adba will take photos and such to register a dog.

The UKC USED TO do it that way, and I know there is still some info online regarding that, but it has since changed. The male that I used w/ Dixie came from a Fla kennel whom has since went out of business(think it was due to bed circumstances) They gave the guy a chocolate female but w/out papers, and stated she was not from their yard, and didnt provide any names. I assisted him w/ contacting the UKC. They wanted an initial $25 to start an investigation w/ pertinant bkgrnd inf, then of course, the more investigating, the more $ and was told it was a slim to none chance to ever get her registered w/out identification of the parents and the UKC litter reg ###.

That sucks. The ADBA would prolly be your only shot.

Of course, I could have been dealing w/ a complete idiot there in Kalamazoo, ya never know!!!

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats great for me i like the ADBA's Weight Pull Events rules.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here's some more up-to-date info on UKC registry, courtesy of their website (www.ukcdogs.com). You said that your pup's parents are registered. If you can, it would be best to find out what registry they're under. If they're UKC, and their owners have their UKC numbers, you can get Scrappy registered very easily. If they were registered with another group, you can get a "Single Registration" by submitting copies of their papers and some other supporting material after Scrappy is 1 year old.

From the website:
Single Registration. The procedure by which a purebred dog, not out of a UKC registered litter, may be registered with United Kennel Club, Inc. The owner of a single-registered dog has the same rights and privileges as the owner of a dog whose litter was UKC registered. Single-registered dogs may participate in any UKC licensed event for which the breed is eligible. A dog with a disqualifying fault as determined by the dog's UKC breed standard is ineligible for single registration.

U.K.C. tailors the rules for single registration to the needs of each individual breed and taking into account the wishes of our individual national breed associations. Accordingly, the rules for single registration vary slightly depending on the breed of dog to be registered. If your dog is accepted for single registration, you will receive a registration certificate with a three-generation pedigree and Easy Entry™ card.

General rules for single registration.

1. Pedigree. Each application must include a three-generation pedigree. The pedigree may be handwritten and does not need to be certified by any organization.
2. Proof of purebred status. Each application must include a copy of a registration certificate from a U.K.C. approved registry.
3. Disqualifying faults. A dog with a disqualifying fault as defined in the U.K.C. standard for the dog's breed is ineligible for single registration. Such dogs may be eligible for the U.K.C. Limited Privilege program.
4. Prior U.K.C. registration. A dog out of a U.K.C. registered litter is ineligible for single registration because that dog is already U.K.C. registered.

Before you apply for single registration. Check with the U.K.C. Registration Department to see if your breed has any special requirements for single registration. You will need to provide the following information:

1. Breed of dog;
2. Age of dog;
3. Whether dog's sire and dam are U.K.C. registered;
4. If sire and dam are U.K.C. registered, you will need an explanation why the dog's litter was not registered;
5. Whether your dog is presently registered with another registry and the name of that registry;
6. Owner of the dam at the time your dog was born;
7. Whether your dog is spayed/neutered.

The ADBA seems to have a similar Single Registration option (requires AKC or UKC papers from the sire and dam), and they also have a "Limited Performance Program" for dogs with no papers. This requires neutering, and only allows you to "participate in fun events at ADBSI sanctioned shows" - as far as I can tell, this does NOT include weight pulling. More info at www.adba.cc

If you're interested in obedience, there's a mixed-breed registry specific to obedience (AMBOR, I think). Yes, I know Scrappy isn't a mix, but hey - if it gets you in the door... You could also do Rally Obedience ("Rally-O") through APDT (Assoc. of Pet Dog Trainers) matches.

If you're interested in agilty, no papers are required by USDAA or NADAC.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kogeki

I meant cheaper, as in prices to register, but it look like I may be wrong there, I hadn't looked in a while and here's the prices I found. Some of the prices are cheaper, but some aren't. THat was all I meant.

Litter Registration
Up to 6 months of age $20.00

Over 6 months up to 1 year of age $40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Permanent Registration Certificate
with 3-Generation Performance Pedigree
(&) Easy Entry™ Card $16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

with 3-Generation Performance Pedigree,
Easy Entry™ Card (&) Six-Generation Pedigree $35

with 3-Generation Performance Pedigree,
Easy Entry™ Card (&) Seven-Generation Pedigree $50

Breeder’s Record Free

Breeder’s List
1 year listing
2 year listing
3 year listing $12
$20
$30

BUT- This throws up a red flag for me, why would any reputable breeder use 2 different sires for the same breeding? I can see no justification as to why this is acceptable.

Dual-Sired Litter $50
*Note: This fee is in addition to the cost of DNA profiles for both sires, the dam, and all pups in the litter. Permanent registration certificates are issued on all pups in a dual-sired litter at no additional fee.

·
Registered
203 Posts
BUT- This throws up a red flag for me, why would any reputable breeder use 2 different sires for the same breeding? I can see no justification as to why this is acceptable.

Nothing wrong with that, sometimes breeders do that if the female is older and they are not planning on breeding her after that litter. Or maybe somebody had an accident and don't know who the father is. A reputable breeder is an honest breeder, that's what DNA testing is there for.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OOOPS I'm so stupid. I meant his parents WERE'NT registered. My bad. Neither one of his parents were registered because both were game bred and fighters.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mrs. Cooper

Sorry, but I have never heard of a breeder who would do that sort of thing on purpose, nor would I trust or buy a dog from one who did, no matter the excuse. I think you should choose the one dog who best fits with your female and compliments her. There shouldn't have to be DNA testing done on a litter to determine the sire, IMO.

I know accidents happen, but I don't think a litter should be registerable if you can not postively determine the sire of the pups, and if two sires were used, how many people do you know who would actually pay the fees to have each pup DNAd, especially BYBs? I don't know of many if any. I think this creates a big loop hole for BYB's to get their dogs registered, and will never approve of it. Again, JMO.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't think a litter should be registerable if you can not postively determine the sire of the pups
Well, that's why they DNA because YOU CAN DETERMINE the Sire of the pups.
It's a good breeding tool, and yes I know people that would and have done whole litters.
I would do it myself, I don't see the big deal.
There are tons of breeders that DNA these days, and I have to say most of them are far from BYB's.

How is it a loophole for BYB's to register there dogs ?? I for one have never heard of a BYB using DNA testing, heck most of them don't even know that there is such a thing. But seriously I don't know how that would help them, please explain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know DNA can be a good tool, but I will never need it for that purpose, because I think it is un necessary if you KNOW who the one sire of your pups is. I am very selective about my breeding, and plan my program up to a year before it actually takes place with a very specific goal in mind as to the pups I want to produce from each breeding. I know my dogs, and I know which 2 are best suited for one another. I choose the one sire who is the best match for my girl, not two, there can only be one "best" match.
I'm sorry, but we could go around all week about our opinions of certain kennel clubs, but in the end I am not going to change my views, and you won't either, so I find this conversation pointless, as you are not going to see my side, and I yours. It's a difference of opinion, and we are both entitled to that, I respect your opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. But I am going to leave it at that, as I do not want to make any enimies here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts