Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 1 year ols male AB. Since he was a few months old his lips and chin have been a slight pinkish colour so I checked this with my Vet who told me theres nothing to worry about as it is probably a mild canine acne experienced by large short haired dogs. My dog has never been bothered about this (no scratching and stuff) and has so far had a healthy and active life. Upon attending a different vet after I moved home my vet told me that my dog has a skin problem and requires tests for £275 to diagnose the problem. This startled me a bit as most AB photos i see have a slight pink marking around the muzzle and the dog has never been agitated or uncomfortable with his mouth. She also told me that he was underweight for his age though hes fed to recommended quantities and weighs 101 pounds and doesn't look underweight. I was then prescibed with £30 of dietry food to boost his weight but the dog has since started vommitting due to his change in food and I've had to revert back to his regular food. I now feel I've been fleeced by my vet and would like a little advise from other AB owners about and experiences with redness around the muzzle area and any advice upon recommended weights for a 1 year old male. Thanks for your help. Heres a pic of my AB Lloyd (I hope it comes out) Thanks :)

http://upload4.postimage.org/149480/Benstead_10.jpg[/img][/url]

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'm not sure about the chin problem as Kate has not had anything like that, but I know some other owners on here have so hopefully they can help you out.

But wow! He sure does not look underweight at all!!! He looks like a happy healthy boy. I would definitly check it at another vet. Sort of sounds like this one wants your money. A lot of vets would try other stuff before asking you to fork over that amount of money for a test right away

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My boy is the same way around the mouth. My vet said it was nothing to be concerned with. I agree with Kates Mom, this vet just wants your money.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Buster's mouth stays redder than that all the time, and it doesn't bother him at all. Your dog looks perfectly healthy to me! Welcome to the forum. :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Harley has the same issue. My vet told me to go and buy some noxema pads and that should take care of it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum! Lloyd is one hansome boy! He does not look one bit under weight, looks perfect to me! He might have a little bit of acne but it does not look bad. If you are feeding him out of plastic bowls get rid of them, they are a major cause of acne. To help get rid of the acne just keep those areas clean and dry. You can wash those areas with a light antibactrial soap or Noxema daily, after a few days you will notice an improvement. Again he is one hansome boy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts