Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home today to find my neighbors two dogs in my yard. They had dug a hole under the fence and were stuck on my slope. I put chicken wire up to keep my dogs out of my plants so they couldn't run around my yard but it was a total nightmare trying to get them back into their yard. I'm gonna have to do something because this is about the fourth time it has happened and they are destroying the fence. Does anybody have any ideas? I was thinking about pouring a cement trough along the fence so that they cannot dig. This is gonna be alot of work though. I talk to my neighbors about the problem and they don't seem too concerned. They just cover the hole and then their dogs move over to a new patch of dirt. It's especially a problem because the smaller dog is not friendly with people. When she sees me she starts growling and usually takes off!

that's the hole they dug. If you look closely, you can see how the planks on my fence are all tweaked now.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I dont know, something needs to happen. I would hate for one of your dogs to hurt one of the neighbors dogs, for invading their space.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Our back neighbor dogs have dug under our fence also but they didn't do anything to fix it. We had to buy tent stakes and put where they were digging. Not sure on what to do with a privacy fence. Good luck I know what a pain it is!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
luckily my dogs weren't out there when it happened. I let them out to go to the bathroom and heard a ruckuss. That's when I found the two up on my slope. Luckily my dogs were pretty happy about the whole thing. They must of thought I was throwing them a surprise party becasue they were ready to play. I had to put mine back inside because the small one was growling at me and I wasn't sure how my dogs would react to that.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have heard of people putting chicken wire on the bottom of the fence and out on the ground maybe a foot or two (on top of the ground). Use large wire tent stakes to hold it in place. It might work here, as you can staple or tack the wire fence to the wooden one.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Gosh, it is so hard not to smile at those two faces. It is as if they are saying, "look, we are free".
You are right though. It is a nuisance to have to repair someone elses repairs, especially
when they do not seem too concerned. Let them know that you have planted a garden there and ask
them if they would like to share in the cost and work of laying the cement. At least it might
make them try harder to keep their dogs on their side of the fence. I would also share this pic
with them.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
ok not to sound totally harsh, but the burden does not lay on you to place chicken wire at the bottom of your fence or anything to keep them out. It isn't your dogs digging it's theirs. If they don't care that your dogs may have harmed them it is their fault. I would be straight up, you don't have to be rude, but let them know you'll call animal control when the dogs end up in your backyard. Their dogs are not your responsibilty. That was serious....your dogs could have become totally territorial.

Stinking terriers..total diggers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with pitchic. It's not your problem. It's up to your neighbours to enclose their animals securely. If they're digging under the fence steps should be taken to build an enclosure with a concrete or paved floor.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, I'm gonna go over and talk to them about this. I'm mostly concerned that we'll have to replace the fence eventually and that could be very expensive. When they dig, it digs up the cement footings that hold the fence in the ground so the whole thing could come crashing down next time we get rain (not that we get any). Thanks for the confidence guys.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I feel bad now because Heaven keeps doing this to my neighbors. They are getting so fed up and trying to be patient. They spent all this money fixing their fence so Heaven would stop getting through.. and she just went right through it. As soon as the ground softens, I am putting up a 6ft tall wooden privacy fence. I hope they can bear with me until then. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
guarenteed if your dogs attacked theres, there would be hell to pay and even though there dogs dug under the fence you would be to blame if it did happen

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Your right, it is the neighbors responsability to ensure that their dogs stay on their side of the fence. But the neighbors appear to not care where their dogs end up. But you can bet the farm that if Heidi and Chico would ever get territorial with these dogs and cause serious harm or death, that Heidi and Chico would be at a risk of being impounded as "dangerous" dogs. To me, that would be more trouble and heart break then taking measures and the hassel of preventing the neighbors dogs from digging under the fence.

Calling anmal control is an option, but most AC's will just tell the neighbor to keep their dogs on their side of the fence, and leave it up to the neighbors to do it.

Calling the police to file a property damage report (for damage to the fence and the yard under it) is also an option.

But what do I know...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna try to go talk to them nicely and see if there is something they can do before I start getting crazy and calling people. They've been really good neighbors so far and they do seem to care about their dogs (not as much as I care about mine) but they just don't understand the seriousness of a bulldog. They've let their younger one run loose out front before and it always runs over and jumps on Chico in our driveway. Chico is on a cable while my husband works on his cars so he can spend time out front. Everytime this happened, Chico would end up pinning the dog down because he felt trapped. I would go tell them and they would tell me, "that's ok, it was our fault. Abby needs to learn not to jump all over dogs anyways." Basically I started standing out front with the hose on squirt mode and when the dog would run over I'd squirt the heck out of it. I'm not gonna let Chico get assaulted in his own driveway. They'd just wave back and yell," that's ok, she has to learn." I want to yell back, "Are you f'n retarded? Your dog is gonna get hit by a car one of these days or worse." They're in the process of landscaping their yard so I'm gonna go over there and suggest some things. They are open minded to learning, they're just sorta naive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts