Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 8 month old EB a week ago and things are great but he is over weight because the friend that i got him from had a self feeder and let him eat as much as he wanted, but only in the afternoon. he is 60 lbs. this is over weight even for a full grown EB, 50-55lbs is the stander for a male. i will be moving him over to nutro dry puppy food, how much should he get? i am a once a day feeder because that is how all my other dogs eat, but i am use to high energy Brittany's and they are hunting dogs so they are on completely diff paterns. i need suggetions

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
hmm, personally that is a good weight. do you have pics of him, what is his build like and parents like, what i mean is are they big built parents also?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have not personally meet the parents because i got him from a friend who could no longer care for him but i personally think he could shed a few lbs. but that still does not tall me how much i need to feed the beast

·
Registered
182 Posts
feed 2x a day. about 1 cup each time..he is still growing, the last thing you want him to do is not have the nutrition he needs to grow properly.
there are VERY few EB who actually weigh what the standard says.
At the moment I have a 70lb. male, 60, 56, 53 lb females. I don't actually know anyone with a full grown 55lb.male.

·
Registered
182 Posts
until at least 18 months he should be fed 2x a day.
I even feed my adults 2x a day.
2 cups of food in his stomach will make it easier for him to bloat..which you don't want.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Do you have a side shot of him so we can see how overwieght he is?

I feed my dogs twice per day. They eat their food immiediately.

I am a firm believer that when a dog is fed that it should finish what it has been given without walking away even once. I believe that if a dog walks away from its food that is should be removed until the next meal time. I do not use a set time like some people do (some people use 20 minutes where as I believe that even if the food is down for even one minute, if that dog walks away the food should be removed)

This way you know exactly how much they are eating and they learn that YOU decide when it is they eat and not them. Respect.

Good for you for being concerned about the wieght of the dog. Excess weight on a dog can lead to many other health problems and its so easy to keep a dog at its optimum wieght. If only if it was that easy for us!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no he never walks away from his food he may get side tract cause he is a puppy so if hears something he may look up or investigate it for a sec and come right back i put it down and he eas it. it is his previous owners who feed him as much as he wanted. and i will get a side shot for you tonight to look at. i just think he is a little tick but i am also use to a more atheletic breed also. back to a previous post, not to argue but if you say u don't know of and EB the meets the weight standard then what is the point in the standard being there, i have full intention to show the dog so he needs to trim up and meet the standard. he is a big boy, i took him around this weekend to show a few of my friend my new buddy and the first thing out of their mouths was that is the biggest EB i ahve ever seen and then i tell he is only 8months old and they are shocked. i need a side shot so u can relly see.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have not been to the vet yet since i have taken ownership but i have only had him a little more then a week, does your vet think they are at ideal weights? just because they weight that much does not mean they are in correct or healthy shape???

·
Registered
182 Posts
you are never going to starve him down to 55 lbs. he is a big boy. At 55 lbs. he will look like he is underweight.. I can guarentee he will have ribs showing and hip bones..like that he will never place in the ring.
you seem to be WAY to hung up on the Standard...it is not written in stone. The #1 bulldog in Canada weighs about 75 lbs.

I compete in conf., obed. and agility with my Bulldogs..so obviously they are in good shape fro their weight.

·
Registered
182 Posts
you are never going to starve him down to 55 lbs. he is a big boy. At 55 lbs. he will look like he is underweight.. I can guarentee he will have ribs showing and hip bones..like that he will never place in the ring.
you seem to be WAY to hung up on the Standard...it is not written in stone. The #1 bulldog in Canada weighs about 75 lbs.

I compete in conf., obed. and agility with my Bulldogs..so obviously they are in good shape fro their weight.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Stop feeding him processed food n start him on a raw food diet.do you give him raw bones?Try it it will aid his digestion.Processed food creates overwieght dogs just like humans.im open to questions :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just started him on nutro puppy food and i feed him a total of 2-2.5 cups a day thatshould be good right and his weight should regulate, correct?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
the BIG&thelittle said:

How can we know he would look underwieght at 55# if we haven't seen how he looks yet? That is why we need a picture, so we can see how overwieght, if at all, the dog is. None of us know how large of a frame the dog has unless we are psychic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lisa said:
the BIG&thelittle said:

How can we know he would look underwieght at 55# if we haven't seen how he looks yet? That is why we need a picture, so we can see how overwieght, if at all, the dog is. None of us know how large of a frame the dog has unless we are psychic.

if you look at the pic in the avatar and then read the posts..as in he's the biggest bulldog anyone of my friends has seen.. and he is only 8 months olsd..and EB grow till they are 2 years old.. there is no way this dog is going to get to 55 lbs. and look good.
EB in the ring are round..no RIBS... as a matter of fact i take weight off mine after i get their Championship, as I think they are too heavy at that wieght and they find it too hard to do agility at that weight.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My EB is 9 months and 55lbs. We feed him one cup twice a day of innova, but he usually doesnt finish the second cup at night. We walk him a few times a week (short walks) and I don't think he looks overweight. You can look at his pics in the picture section. The vet said he's very healthy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i still need to get a side pic of him to post for opinions and get him to the vet and see what they think because i have only had him a 1 1/2 weeks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts