Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a couple weeks ago we discovered that Managirl had a mass on one of her teats that was growing extremely rapidly, almost doubling daily. In my heart, I already knew what it was so I was not surprised when we went to the vet. They took a sample and it is mixed mammary cancer. The vet said it looks pretty bad, but we can't tell how bad until a chest xray and surgery. She also said this type of cancer is extremely difficult and surgery may not make a difference. We will go in for a consult w/the surgeon this week and try to schedule w/ a couple other vets for second opinions. I am somewhat in denial because she is just fine other than a big growth on her teat. I am also fearful of the cost of such surgery and treatment because i'm not sure how I'll swing it. I found all this out on the 1st anniversary of my mom's death. Last week sucked!

Anyway, just thought I'd share and ask for some prayers for Managirl.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
What tragic news for you. I am so sorry Managirl has this.
My thoughts are with you and her.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear the bad news! My prayers are with you and Mana.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Oh, I am SO sorry! Hopefully they will take a look and find that it has not matasticized, and you can remove the mass and be done with it. Mana and your family will be in my thoughts!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
That really blows. I'll keep you all in my thoughts, and I'll send some good healing puppy drool your way. Please keep us posted on your Managirl.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this horrible news.
I will be keeping you all in my thoughts
Please keep us updated
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your concern. I will try to give an update when I can. As for now, rest assured that Mana is her usual goofy-lazy self.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Oh no....poor Managirl! Glad it doesn't seem to be affecting her spirits...medicene is not an exact science, so don't let a diagnosis get you down. Things could turn out to be totally different or not nearly as bad as first predicted. I'll be keeping Managirl (and you!) in my thoughts...please update us when you can!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
What a bummer! So sorry to hear about your girls' misfortune. I will definitely have her in my thoughts!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Our prayers are with you..

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am so sorry. Poor baby. She probably doesn't even know anything is wrong though.

I have had experience in this. We lost Sadie and Spooky to mammary cancer. One thing I can tell you is; talk to people and talk to your vet. We did the surgery with Spooky and within months we lost her. Once she was opened up the cancer just seemed to spread like wildfire. Sadie had the same thing. Because of her age we didn't opt for the surgery. She lived years with it and it didn't start to effect her till her last days. Spooky was 10 and Sadie was 13. I am not saying this to scare you out of surgery, there are probably lots of people who have had the opposite experience as well. Just talk to your vet (maybe get other opinions also) and ask what the chances are for surgery making it worse. Maybe the xrays will be able to tell something so they know how far the progression is. When this happened to us, xrays didn't tell us anything. We just kind of gambled, lost on one and won on another.

How old is Managirl?

No matter what I will be thinking of you guys and praying for Managirl.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate you all!!

Care said:
I am so sorry. Poor baby. She probably doesn't even know anything is wrong though.

I have had experience in this. We lost Sadie and Spooky to mammary cancer. One thing I can tell you is; talk to people and talk to your vet. We did the surgery with Spooky and within months we lost her. Once she was opened up the cancer just seemed to spread like wildfire. Sadie had the same thing. Because of her age we didn't opt for the surgery. She lived years with it and it didn't start to effect her till her last days. Spooky was 10 and Sadie was 13. I am not saying this to scare you out of surgery, there are probably lots of people who have had the opposite experience as well. Just talk to your vet (maybe get other opinions also) and ask what the chances are for surgery making it worse. Maybe the xrays will be able to tell something so they know how far the progression is. When this happened to us, xrays didn't tell us anything. We just kind of gambled, lost on one and won on another.

How old is Managirl?

No matter what I will be thinking of you guys and praying for Managirl.
Care, thanks for the info, i appreciate hearing anyone's experiences with this.

Managirl is 6 years old. Your situation is something that we have thought about and are afraid of. This is something that our vet warned us about, and we are taking into account. Right now, i'm all about finding out how much it will cost for the actual surgery, unfortunately, that will have to factor into our decision. I know that having a dog is an expensive responsibility, but I'm only recenty back to work after 6 months of being laid off, so Its just a matter of really bad timing. The VCA here said that it will be roughly $2,000 for just the surgery (and then when they saw my face, they said "It may be less, i'm not sure, you have to consult with the surgeon" more $$). Bloodwork and Chest Xrays prior to the surgery will run about $400, and I already paid almost $180 for the visit and biopsy. I'm gonna try and get a consult with the Blue Cross as I've been told that they are much more affordable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts