Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anybody on here has heard me complain about my neighbor's two beagles that never stop howling. He came over yesterday to tell us that we would never hear the howling again. He had spent the whole night in the emergency room with them because they had eaten snail bait. One of them died and the other had to be put down. He said that he had been using snail bait in his yard for ten years and never had a problem with the dogs eating it. Him and his family were absolutely devistated. All of my friends think I'm crazy because I refuse to use chemicals and poisons in my house but after hearing this story, I know that it's a safe decision. By the time that he got the dogs to the emergency room, it was to late to save them. Often when I walk the dogs, they try to get into people's planters and sniff around. Sometimes they will grab something before I can pull them away (it's usually cat poop :cat:). I'm gonna be much more careful from now on after hearing about my neighbor's horrible experience. Sorry to be a downer but I just thought I should share the story.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
thats awful

How sad. But this is why like you I don't keep posion around either infact when we walk the dogs . Its just that they are not allowed to eat or sniff during walk time. that is there walk time. they can use our yard for the other things play sniffing and such even that is with supervision cause you never know what they can get into. I don't think you can ever be too careful when it comes to that stuff.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's horrible your poor neighbors :cry:
We only use a spray in our yard in the summer months and the kids and April are not allowed out there for at least a day. I don't use anything toxic in the house at all just orange oil spray and those ant stakes when I need them(always in areas the kids and dogs can't get to) But one thing my husband does for snails, which are a huge problem in our yard, is a plateful of beer. For some reason there attracted to the beer and crawl up and drown.(salt also works but I hate that)

·
Registered
208 Posts
ts just that they are not allowed to eat or sniff during walk time. that is there walk time.
Yep, I totally agree with that.

Also a warning to people with nice yards. Colored mulch is poisonous to dogs so don't let them eat the mulch.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Family of 5 said:
can I ask what "snail bait" is and why do you need to catch snails?

Do you folks know of a good pet friendly weed killer?
Snail bait is a poison that kills snails when they eat it. Snails are a big problem out here, they eat everything in the garden. I'll have to try that beer thing. I've just let them completly takeover my yard because I didn't want to use any chemicals. I don't know of any petfriendly weedkillers. I usually pull all the weeds out by hand. It's a never ending battle. It seems that if you use a weed killer that is sprayed directly on the weed you may be ok. The snail bait smells good to dogs and that is why they eat it.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Family of 5 said:
can I ask what "snail bait" is and why do you need to catch snails?

Do you folks know of a good pet friendly weed killer?
I'd like to know the same...what the heck is snail bait??? :?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Have you tried crushed shells in your garden? Apparently, the snails get mortally wounded when they go over it, and DIE!! I also use ordinary table salt on the slimey things....a painful death, I'm sure, it melts them...ewwww....

·
Registered
125 Posts
We've used Weed B Gone & Vegetation killer, but only when we know we will have sunny warm days to dry the chemicals.
We keep Philo out of the yard for a full 24 - 48 hours after spraying.

My friend who is a landscaper said this should be fine as long as the chemicals have completely dried before the dogs go and walk on the grass. Also as long as your dog doesn't eat leaves off of any shrubs.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That's terrible. I feel so bad for them. Losing their dogs by means of something that was so preventable. They must just feel awful.

As for the repellant, my stepmother used beer once. She put out little dishes with beer, but unfortunately her dog drank it. :roll: Then she blocked off the garden so her dog couldn't do that anymore. Each little bowl trapped about 5 snails a day, which cut down the problem, but didn't eradicate it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
They make a snail bait that is made from phosphorus (sp?) I think. That is what I use and it is not toxic to dogs or children! I will find the name of it and post it for you guys. It really works wonderful on snails. It is like little pellets that attracts the snails but after they eat it, they die. Also regular round up (not the highly concentrated stuff) works for the weeds. You can allow your pets and children on it after a half hour. Of course I keep them away for 24 hours just to be sure. I have used both these things for several years now and have not had a problem :D

I am really sorry to hear about your neighbors dogs :(

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
I am really sorry to hear of their loss. Know they must be devastated.
I always worry about someone throwing something that is poisonous over
the fence. Our dogs are not any problem and we do live in a good neighborhood
but it is a fear that has always been with me.
:pale:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Snails are a BIG PROBLEM over here too! but there is no Snail bait or weed killer.............just german beer...... :lol:

I dig a hole every 6 inches, put a cup in it, and fill it w/beer. that keeps the snails off my plants LOL

Very sad to hear about your neighbors dogs.............that's awful.........

and Very Scared to move back and worry about Fina eating something other than CAT POOP :puke:

Thanks for the Info!

Bridget

1 - 14 of 14 Posts