Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold two of my march hatch pullets and picked up these two Breda fowl.
They look like vultures and have no combs. Pretty cool looking chickens. They are dutch, and I got them from a breeder who is getting out of the breed as she shows barnevelder and welsummer chickens. After the Ohio show she is giving me a few more hens.

They were born this spring. They are very quiet, prefer to hang in the coop instead of out in the pen. They have vulture hock feathers and a cool Mohawk hairdo lol...their legs and feet are feathered. They lay a medium.white egg.

Supposedly some of the woman's flock came from the Netherlands.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I just give the extra eggs to people at work. Your flock has to be tested to legally sell them here. We feef organic and our land has been pesticide/herbicide free for over ten years . Organic certification is pricey and people will not pay the 4 bucks plus per dozen that they bring at the store. Most people don't care or are clueless.

· Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm npip and ai tested by the state,but here you don't need it to sell eggs. What I did was I gave all my extra eggs that I couldn't eat to the farm stand a few blocks away. Told the guy to sell them for whatever he wanted.i didn't take any money from him. When Halloween came around he gave me his prices on a case if Indian glass corn and a case of decorative gourds. It worked out perfect trade..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah we don't use pesticides either, and my chickens are loose all the time (except the past 3 weeks due to the hawks migrating, they tried to take out 2 of my chickens so for now they are locked up in their pens).

Of course they are molting now,and with shorter daylight not laying as much, so I figured ok time to deworm.... so I deworm both coops and they decide to pump out eggs.. which can't be eaten for 2 weeks due to the dewormer meds..... so I had all these pretty eggs I couldn't eat or sell lol..

So they got scrambled eggs and I tossed the shells in the garden

· Super Moderator
14,605 Posts
Gotta love trading - may be some more people willing to trade out.
I buy organic eggs and I know I am going to pay more for them then regular eggs.

I have a 20 ounce crock pot lunch tote --
( Crock-Pot SCCPLC200-R 20-Ounce Lunch Crock Food Warmer, Red ) Crock-Pot
And I like to mix up a vegetable omlet and pour it into the crock pot. I take
it to work with me and plug it in. In about two hours it is cooked and ready
to eat. I think the omlet tastes better with better eggs. I make a three egg
omlet - that is only a $1.00 plus left over veggies - what a deal and very
filling. Sure beats these $7 - $10 dollar lunches. Throw in a slices or two of
100% whole grain bread and it is a perfect lunch. :D

· Registered
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You pay that much for eggs?omg. Are they truly organic? There is chiropractic dr here thst I saw,she bragged to me she sold her eggs as organic for $7 a doz only cause she used the local feed farms food..which isn't organic.. she lies to customers and says the eggs are organic when they arent. I was shocked. Needless to say I never saw her again after that first visit

· Super Moderator
14,605 Posts
I usually get mine from Walmart and they are $4.47 (just checked) a dozen.
But my husband works with a nurse who has some chickens and when we can,
we get them from her as she raises her chickens in the free range style.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.