Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ain't he pretty, he is a fun lovin' active guy so far. He is 7 months old.

.............................CREAMER'S BOOGIE
...................GR CH BOOGIEMAN
.............................HULLETT'S SIQUXKEA
(Sire) CH AXEL
.............................CH SMITH'S TROUBLE
...................CALDWELL'S HOGTOWN LIGHT
.............................TURNBULL'S BONNIE

.............................CREAMER'S BOOGIE
...................GR CH BOOGIEMAN
.............................HULLETT'S SIQUXKEA
(Dam) CH CALDWELL'S GIGI
.............................GR CH BOOGIEMAN
...................CH CALDWELL'S REBEL RED
.............................BROCKINGTON'S QUEEN

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes he is a conformation dog, he took 1st, 2nd & 3rd place. He also has another 1st place.

Yeah he wasn't so sure about us, he's like who are these people I want my family, they get so attatched to their people. He was in a crate and fine but when they helped me put him in a crate we had he started hollering and crying. It was sad. :cry:

·
Registered
56 Posts
newest pup

Thats a nice dog he looks like he came from game stock. i didn't realize that they show those dogs simply cause the pitbull in its working form isn't necessarily show quality. in other words it was cool to see. great dog again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: newest pup

apbt-owner said:
Thats a nice dog he looks like he came from game stock. i didn't realize that they show those dogs simply cause the pitbull in its working form isn't necessarily show quality. in other words it was cool to see. great dog again.
As you can see his pedigree there are show CH/GR CH titles not fighting dogs. I'm not sure what you thought they showed/was show quality as the standard is based off what the ideal game/working dog should be build like. I have dogs from show and/or pull lines and I have several gamebred dogs that I do show and they show well. Regardless of breeding the dogs should look like they are from game stock.

It is true a gamebred dog might not be show quality because the breeder doesn't care about "looks" rather performance.

I will post you some pics I never mind sharing. I posted some in the photo section also but here they are (I will just put links to click on here though)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/TX Show 11-2006/LadyNov2006.jpg
Will start her next show as she looks great, her sister is very close to CH and her brother is also pointed. Lines are Rascal/Carver/Eli

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/TX Show 11-2006/Scorpion3rd.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/TX Show 11-2006/ScorpionTXShow11-2006.jpg
This is her half sister same sire

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/TX Show 11-2006/Twister2ndTX11-2006.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/TX Show 11-2006/TwisterTX11-2006.jpg
This is the above females brother, very close to CH

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/Shows 2006/Thunder1stre.jpg
He is half brother to above male-same dam sire is heavy Bullyson

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/CHVenom.jpg
CH Venom is from show/pull lines that goes back to OFRN/Clouse lines

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/July 06/Santana.jpg
show/pull lines

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/Shows 2006/Nediva1stGoldenCO.jpg
Nediva is a daughter of the above male/female

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/Valcloudi.jpg
This is another gamebred Redboy/Turtlebuster/Jeep-Rascal She is getting up there in points, halfway now but has siblings that are Ch or close.

Anyway thanks for the comps on my dog, I'm glad you enjoy the pics.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
With all due respect that dog looks terrified. I would be embarrassed to post a pic of a dog like that with its tail up its butt.

That is precisely why I put so little stock into show dogs, because they totally ignore the temperment of the animal. I sure hope you dont plan on breeding that dog just because it has done well in the show ring and he has what you consider a "good pedigree" because obviosuly his temperament could be better.

TruePits I have read many of your posts, you seem to have your shit together for the most part and sound like a great owner. I would have expected you to post much better pictures than that. Someone with your knowledge and experience should know better than to post those pictures . You KNOW someone is going to take notice.

That dog may be pretty but thats not everything!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lisa said:
With all due respect that dog looks terrified. I would be embarrassed to post a pic of a dog like that with its tail up its butt.

That is precisely why I put so little stock into show dogs, because they totally ignore the temperment of the animal. I sure hope you dont plan on breeding that dog just because it has done well in the show ring and he has what you consider a "good pedigree" because obviosuly his temperament could be better.

TruePits I have read many of your posts, you seem to have your ** I almost cursed ** together for the most part and sound like a great owner. I would have expected you to post much better pictures than that. Someone with your knowledge and experience should know better than to post those pictures . You KNOW someone is going to take notice.

That dog may be pretty but thats not everything!
Well that is you and not me, I'm not embarrased about his actions and already explained. LMAO if you knew so much about pedigree, ect you would know that the dog doesn't just come from just show stock but infact working stock too. They believe in working their dogs and keeping the breed true, not just showing. I only mentioned the CH/GR CH because the other poster didn't realize that working dogs also showed. I have seen plenty of working stock with bad temperaments...lol from some that were man aggressive to others that were skittish. Infact I've seen a lot that were skittish not just pups either but adults, I have went to look at adults (from working stock) and had them bluff bark out of fear or act skittish and cower down, pull away and not want me anywhere near them. That is whether they were gamebred, hog hunting or pulling dogs. I see many pull dogs that are so scared of everything actually and I do not know if its genetic or if the owners simply beat the dogs. (I've seen some be pretty harsh on them). One at this last show was walking out in front of me and I had my little brindle pup and the dog heard me behind it and jumped (he was already walking with his tail tucked) and then kept looking scared behind himself. The owner said Dont worry now boy, she's not going to hurt you. You can see poor temperaments in dogs of different breeding. I have seen working dogs of other breed with poor temps.

I already stated that he was a little unsure. They have babied this dog and he was their pick, we were lucky (I feel) to get him and I really appreciate that. Within 10 minutes of being with us he warmed up, he was fine in the ring with the other dogs/people and judge, he was even fine meeting us (happy tail wagging, gave my husband hugs), but when they handed him over yeah I think he was a little concerned he was very attached to their son and wanted to get back to him. And like I said they had him in a crate and he was fine, but I went to put him in a crate and they walked away and he started crying and hollering for them I'm sure. He generally likes meeting people but I don't think he felt abandoned (IMO this is something I believe dogs can feel), so he was unhappy for the moment. After I took him back out of the crate he seemed ok, he was still looking around for them (dogs know their people) but I just talked to him and then he jumped up and gave me a kiss and I walked him for some bonding time.

Again as stated the dog is only 7 months old so it is hard to say if ever he will be bred, we do not breed for pedigrees or pretty papers and we don't breed simply because the dog looks pretty either. We also don't breed every dog we have, some are just pets and some just show for fun. But you know nothing of his temperament and have never met the dog so don't act as if you do. As stated he was fine he was happy to meet us, he was cool until the boy gave me the leash, then walked back he tried to follow but my husband held him so yes he was very unsure what was going on. They had a very close bond, he had spent just about the entire show walking and playing with the dog. Within 2 mins of that is when the pics were snapped. We could have waited 10 minutes or so or had them go completly out of site so he would have looked like his perky self but I really don't care about appeasing people with the pics. These are the only 2 we have for now and when we do take more I will post them but I'm not really worried about it. I've seen plenty of pups like him (happy to meet people, enjoying themselves, seem like they would walk off with just anyone) but if the owner were to hand the dog over and walk away yeah the dog would look scared, unsure and concerned as they try to follow their owner but are not allowed to. Most I find seem to form a pretty close bond to their people, and while they love meeting people and are neither scared or aggressive would be very relunctant to be taken away from their family by a stranger in some new place.

I have seen shy pups (which he is not) blossom into confident adults, othertimes I have seen very good acting pups end up not so great. Some seem to be confident but have spirits easily broken or act too soft in the end. They do not keep their boldness and confidence about them.

I never said the dog being pretty is everything, geez! I only said ain't he pretty. A lot of people say their dogs are pretty, cute, ect I don't see any reason to attack them over this :roll: Most people are generally fond of their dogs and say things like this. And I don't see a problem with it, people love their dogs.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I don't think Lisa was attacking you, Its just kinda alarming seeing a dog with a tail tucked like that. I can handle seeing it with a tail down. But that dog looks freaked right out. If I went to a show and saw a dog that scared win first, I would be disappointed in the judges. Just doesn't seem right to me.

I am not saying the dog won't grow up into a confident adult by any means, but from my experience I would be alarmed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't think she is attacking me. I understand concern over a scared dog and I can see how one would look at the pics and see a dog with a tail tucked. But I had already explained in the other post before I even replied to hers. I'm pretty sure he was freaked out, they have a very strong bond for their families. My mom would always tell me my dog would look for me when I left her at her house, the dog would run all over trying to find me. Upstairs, downstairs, sniffing all over. One Pit I knew woudln't hardly eat anything at his new owners home (and they described the dog as "sad") and then escaped on a potty break (they had a 4ft chainlink fence) and the next day ended up back at the old owners home, all muddy and torn up but he made it as the new owners lived in the country it was a long walk.

Well the judge can't see how the dog behaves when taken from his family you can't fault them for what they don't see. So if you would have been at the show and seen him win his 1st, 2nd & 3rd places you would have seen a dog with his tail held correct (pump handle) when stacked, wagging when the judge approached and spoak, wagging his tail to the other pups and giving loves (hugs & kisses) so there is no reason you would have been disappointed in the judges as he behaved properly in the show ring and never once tucked his tail at any point in time.

He warmed up shortly and now pretty much wags his tail non-stop. Anyway I think he is going to be a favorite, I'll have to try to get some pics of him playing, he is so fun to play with or watch him play. He will get the toy and won't chew it up or simply fetch it he plays by himself. He will throw the toy out of his mouth and try to catch it or if it falls to the ground he will use his feet and kick it back to himself or in him mouth. He also plays with food bowls he will throw it between his back legs with his front legs and then run after it and do it over and over or pick it up in his mouth and throw it. He has also been great in the house, I'm really very happy with him so far.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Lisa said:
I would be embarrassed to post a pic of a dog like that with its tail up its butt.
I don't think it was an attack, but that comment would've gotten under my skin. When I rescued Maxi her tail was in between her legs too. She had a perfect stranger taking her away from the home she knew for 3 months. 1 hour after that walk out of the shelter, her tail hasn't been between her legs since. Lisa, you know your stuff. Thats for sure, but that seemed like a very arrogant statement. JMO

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Well that is you and not me, I'm not embarrased about his actions and already explained. LMAO if you knew so much about pedigree, ect you would know that the dog doesn't just come from just show stock but infact working stock too. They believe in working their dogs and keeping the breed true, not just showing. I only mentioned the CH/GR CH because the other poster didn't realize that working dogs also showed. I have seen plenty of working stock with bad temperaments...lol from some that were man aggressive to others that were skittish. Infact I've seen a lot that were skittish not just pups either but adults, I have went to look at adults (from working stock) and had them bluff bark out of fear or act skittish and cower down, pull away and not want me anywhere near them. That is whether they were gamebred, hog hunting or pulling dogs. I see many pull dogs that are so scared of everything actually and I do not know if its genetic or if the owners simply beat the dogs. (I've seen some be pretty harsh on them). One at this last show was walking out in front of me and I had my little brindle pup and the dog heard me behind it and jumped (he was already walking with his tail tucked) and then kept looking scared behind himself. The owner said Dont worry now boy, she's not going to hurt you. You can see poor temperaments in dogs of different breeding. I have seen working dogs of other breed with poor temps.

I already stated that he was a little unsure. They have babied this dog and he was their pick, we were lucky (I feel) to get him and I really appreciate that. Within 10 minutes of being with us he warmed up, he was fine in the ring with the other dogs/people and judge, he was even fine meeting us (happy tail wagging, gave my husband hugs), but when they handed him over yeah I think he was a little concerned he was very attached to their son and wanted to get back to him. And like I said they had him in a crate and he was fine, but I went to put him in a crate and they walked away and he started crying and hollering for them I'm sure. He generally likes meeting people but I don't think he felt abandoned (IMO this is something I believe dogs can feel), so he was unhappy for the moment. After I took him back out of the crate he seemed ok, he was still looking around for them (dogs know their people) but I just talked to him and then he jumped up and gave me a kiss and I walked him for some bonding time.

Again as stated the dog is only 7 months old so it is hard to say if ever he will be bred, we do not breed for pedigrees or pretty papers and we don't breed simply because the dog looks pretty either. We also don't breed every dog we have, some are just pets and some just show for fun. But you know nothing of his temperament and have never met the dog so don't act as if you do. As stated he was fine he was happy to meet us, he was cool until the boy gave me the leash, then walked back he tried to follow but my husband held him so yes he was very unsure what was going on. They had a very close bond, he had spent just about the entire show walking and playing with the dog. Within 2 mins of that is when the pics were snapped. We could have waited 10 minutes or so or had them go completly out of site so he would have looked like his perky self but I really don't care about appeasing people with the pics. These are the only 2 we have for now and when we do take more I will post them but I'm not really worried about it. I've seen plenty of pups like him (happy to meet people, enjoying themselves, seem like they would walk off with just anyone) but if the owner were to hand the dog over and walk away yeah the dog would look scared, unsure and concerned as they try to follow their owner but are not allowed to. Most I find seem to form a pretty close bond to their people, and while they love meeting people and are neither scared or aggressive would be very relunctant to be taken away from their family by a stranger in some new place.

I have seen shy pups (which he is not) blossom into confident adults, othertimes I have seen very good acting pups end up not so great. Some seem to be confident but have spirits easily broken or act too soft in the end. They do not keep their boldness and confidence about them.

I never said the dog being pretty is everything, geez! I only said ain't he pretty. A lot of people say their dogs are pretty, cute, ect I don't see any reason to attack them over this Rolling Eyes Most people are generally fond of their dogs and say things like this. And I don't see a problem with it, people love their dogs.
Wow that is quite the explanation! :shock:

You think I have never seen working dogs that were nerve bags? Think again. I have seen those weight pull dogs you are talking about. A nerve bag is a nerve bag though and they should never be bred, regardless of what they are (show or working dog) I have never thought WP was a good test of nerve. I guess we can both agree on that!

I guess I just find it odd how there is always a long list of excuses when someone gets questioned regarding their dogs temperament. No wonder there are so many skittish fear biters out there...the apples never fall far from the tree. It's so much easier to make an excuse for a temperament problem, than actually acknowledge it and eliminate a dog from a breeding program. Making excuses for fearful dogs will never benefit a breed. Honestly, dogs change hands every day due to various reason, explain how some adjust fine and others can't?? I can explain it..... genetics. A dog with good , strong nerve (worthy of being bred) is not going to tuck its tail and act terrified because it got out of its comfort zone! :roll: Behaviour like that should be a red flag for breeders, not a reason to hunt for excuses to justify it.

Whats the deal with these two dogs? How many times have these dogs been bred, if ever? Are any of these dogs related?

Tail tucking seems to be a common trait in your yard :shock: :shock: Is this what we should really be striving for with this breed? Fearful dogs? Doesn't the APBT community have enough on its plate now? Breeding dogs like this is unacceptable, especially bull breeds!

I know some people are going to bring me through the ringer for this post, call me a bitch, nasty, rude, whatever..go ahead! . If TruePits were just a pet owner and not a breeder chances are I may have let it go but it appears they are not. Is it just a coincidence that 3 of TP's dogs just happened to tuck their tails when getting their picture taken? Just a coincidence that all 3 dogs were in such stressful situations that they felt like they had to put their tails up their butts? This to me seems unacceptable.

Root, mods, give me a time out or ban me if you wish. In this day and age of BSL I just can't let this go. Sorry I know there is enough drama here lately but the newbies who visit need to realize that tail tucking is not a characteristic breeders of the APBT should be striving for and the fact that True Pits thinks nothing of posting pics of his/her dogs in this state is alarming to me. No other breeder I know of would do something like that, they would be embarrassed. In fact I know breeders of APBT who would not even own dogs who were that skittish in the first place, let alone breed them and post their pictures on the world wide web....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Lisa said:

I never said the dog being pretty is everything, geez! I only said ain't he pretty. A lot of people say their dogs are pretty, cute, ect I don't see any reason to attack them over this Rolling Eyes Most people are generally fond of their dogs and say things like this. And I don't see a problem with it, people love their dogs.
Wow that is quite the explanation! :shock:

You think I have never seen working dogs that were nerve bags? Think again. I have seen those weight pull dogs you are talking about. A nerve bag is a nerve bag though and they should never be bred, regardless of what they are (show or working dog) I have never thought WP was a good test of nerve. I guess we can both agree on that!

I guess I just find it odd how there is always a long list of excuses when someone gets questioned regarding their dogs temperament. No wonder there are so many skittish fear biters out there...the apples never fall far from the tree. It's so much easier to make an excuse for a temperament problem, than actually acknowledge it and eliminate a dog from a breeding program. Making excuses for fearful dogs will never benefit a breed. Honestly, dogs change hands every day due to various reason, explain how some adjust fine and others can't?? I can explain it..... genetics. A dog with good , strong nerve (worthy of being bred) is not going to tuck its tail and act terrified because it got out of its comfort zone! :roll: Behaviour like that should be a red flag for breeders, not a reason to hunt for excuses to justify it.

Whats the deal with these two dogs? How many times have these dogs been bred, if ever? Are any of these dogs related?

Tail tucking seems to be a common trait in your yard :shock: :shock: Is this what we should really be striving for with this breed? Fearful dogs? Doesn't the APBT community have enough on its plate now? Breeding dogs like this is unacceptable, especially bull breeds!

I know some people are going to bring me through the ringer for this post, call me a b-witch, nasty, rude, whatever..go ahead! . If TruePits were just a pet owner and not a breeder chances are I may have let it go but it appears they are not. Is it just a coincidence that 3 of TP's dogs just happened to tuck their tails when getting their picture taken? Just a coincidence that all 3 dogs were in such stressful situations that they felt like they had to put their tails up their butts? This to me seems unacceptable.

Root, mods, give me a time out or ban me if you wish. In this day and age of BSL I just can't let this go. Sorry I know there is enough drama here lately but the newbies who visit need to realize that tail tucking is not a characteristic breeders of the APBT should be striving for and the fact that True Pits thinks nothing of posting pics of his/her dogs in this state is alarming to me. No other breeder I know of would do something like that, they would be embarrassed. In fact I know breeders of APBT who would not even own dogs who were that skittish in the first place, let alone breed them and post their pictures on the world wide web....
I can see where your coming from Lisa. But no need to break TP down and make rude comments.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I can see where your coming from Lisa. But no need to break TP down and make rude comments.
Well, I guess what you and others may see as rude comments, I see as a genuine concern for the APBT and other bully breeds. I never like to see bull breeds that are even the least bit suspect in temperament being used in breeding programs. It scares me.

Who knows? Maybe I am wrong and none of these 3 dogs have ever been bred or will be bred in the future. Hoepfully I am just jumping the gun.

I don't know, maybe it is just me, but If any of my dogs ever tucked their tail for any reason, the last thing I would be doing is worrying about stacking my dog and snapping a picture, then posting in on the WWW! I think if any one of my dogs tucked its tail over something I would be more busy bumming out about it to actually pick up a camera and take a picture. Over the last few years I have come to appreciate the importance of a good, stable, temperament. The bullies are already in enough hot water, why not do everything possible to ensure that what bullies that are being produced are as confident and stable as possible, and not a risk of being another statisitic? Isn't that what we should be thinking about rather than making excuses? Stable, confident dogs don't need excuses made for them, those are the dogs we should be using for breeding!

I hope that was a bit better well said. I am trying, really I am. I don't like to hurt peoples feelings but we all need to look at the big picture here. I don't think those pictures are showing any rare moments with those dogs. The odds are just too much against it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm watching the dog show on Animal Planet at the moment, and the AmStaff had his tail was between his legs during the judging. I instantly thought of this thread. He's a champion.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Lisa said:
Well, I guess what you and others may see as rude comments, I see as a genuine concern for the APBT and other bully breeds. I never like to see bull breeds that are even the least bit suspect in temperament being used in breeding programs. It scares me.

Who knows? Maybe I am wrong and none of these 3 dogs have ever been bred or will be bred in the future. Hoepfully I am just jumping the gun.

I don't know, maybe it is just me, but If any of my dogs ever tucked their tail for any reason, the last thing I would be doing is worrying about stacking my dog and snapping a picture, then posting in on the WWW! I think if any one of my dogs tucked its tail over something I would be more busy bumming out about it to actually pick up a camera and take a picture. Over the last few years I have come to appreciate the importance of a good, stable, temperament. The bullies are already in enough hot water, why not do everything possible to ensure that what bullies that are being produced are as confident and stable as possible, and not a risk of being another statisitic? Isn't that what we should be thinking about rather than making excuses? Stable, confident dogs don't need excuses made for them, those are the dogs we should be using for breeding!

I hope that was a bit better well said. I am trying, really I am. I don't like to hurt peoples feelings but we all need to look at the big picture here. I don't think those pictures are showing any rare moments with those dogs. The odds are just too much against it.
Alot better said. I think the first time you just had alot to say and couldnt word it the way you wanted it :D . I totally understand. Thats not the first time I've seen tails down like that. Like Do the Dew said above at dog shows they do that sometimes. I guess some dogs don't like the flash from the camera. My pup Gemyni thinks its a game(she's a strange goofy pup). As soon as she sees the light flashing she jumps around and grabs her toys. So I'm just assuming(I know I shouldnt) TP's new male doesnt like the flash from the camera.

·
Registered
122 Posts
do the dew said:
I'm watching the dog show on Animal Planet at the moment, and the AmStaff had his tail was between his legs during the judging. I instantly thought of this thread. He's a champion.
Just because a dog is a show champion does not make him breed worthy. They are judging just one aspect of a dog, Conformation and not everything that should be considered when choosing breeding stock. This is why alot of people think that some of the breeders are just breeding for looks and not the total dog.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Jemhidiahssj4 said:
do the dew said:
Just because a dog is a show champion does not make him breed worthy. They are judging just one aspect of a dog, Conformation and not everything that should be considered when choosing breeding stock. This is why alot of people think that some of the breeders are just breeding for looks and not the total dog.
took the words out my mouth so no i got chit to wrte :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts