Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anything is wrong with my pup b/c she refuses to go on walks. She just sits on the floor and lays down. I even tried dragging her for alittle but she refuses to move. I have also tried to walk her during the night time, but maybe she was just too tired to walk then? Someone Please Help~!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogart refused to leave his yard when he was a puppy too. He eventually outgrew it, and now he absolutely loves to go for walks and be out and about. Someone once told me that they just don't like leaving the security of their own yard or something like that. Anyway, just give him time.

If you're concerned about him getting exercise, you could try luring him along with treats. What I did, and I have no idea if this was a good thing to do or not, but I just picked him up and carried him down the block where he couldn't see our yard anymore.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Just went through this with Tanner. He is almost 4 months old and had NO intrest in walking on a leash. We at first just had a plain collar on him and he would just lay down and not budge. So we ended up going ahead and buying him a harness and that is all it took. I had to work with him a few times but he started walking in no time at all. We had also put the leash on him and let him run around with it on without us holding on to it, while we were in our backyard. Not sure if this helped too. Good luck. I worked with Tanner for 4 weeks and finally it clicked with him. Don't give up! If my 40 pound 3 1/2 month old pup got up to walk then I'm sure yours will too!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had this problem with Yemi about a month ago. I did ask on here for help and got some good replies.
To start with I just took her out the front and let her meet a few people. I did try the treats but she just wasn't interested (which is strange for her as she is a total gluts).
One of the suggestions I got was to keep walking once she started and to walk fairly fast so she didn't get the chance to flop down. Without realising it I used to stop when she did, as I was anticipating the stop.
Talk to her/him lots (in a loud stupid encouraging voice :oops: )and try and keep moving. You will get there in the end. It took very little time in the end. Yemi loves her walks now, where as before it was me dragging her now it's her dragging me :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, I bought the harness too because I was afraid i was hurting my dog when we dragged her. I tried the "Keep Walking" technique but she just ends up sitting down. Treats don't work. But i'm guessing i might have the same situation as Bogart. And o yea I forgot to add. My Puppy is only 10 weeks old..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same problem with Riley. He would start walking, then just stop and pull back. I would crouch down and call him to "come". He would usually come bounding towards me and I would shower him with praise for being a good boy and give him a treat. He would walk 2 minutes and we would repeat the whole process again. A walk around the block would sometimes take 45 min! Now at 12 weeks, he is starting to go trotting along with only 1 or 2 stops. Now he tries to get the leash in his mouth while we are walking, almost like he is trying to take me for a walk.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Diesel refused to walk when he was first home. I would take him out fron with his leash and collar on and I'd get halfway down the sidewalk in front of our house only to turn around and see Diesel tugging back. I'm not sure why he did it, but we changed collars and now he wants to go.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
First off, PLEASE make sure your puppy has all of his first shots before you bring him for walks.
He can get very sick and catch a desease from an infected dog that is walked in the area.
Until he gets his last shots, only walk him in the backyard.

That said, i recommend getting him used to wearing the leash and collar.
Have him wear a collar inside the house at all times, then (with supervision) let him drag a leash around.
He should pretty much be "tied" to you when he's outside his crate (to prevent accidents) anyway.
When you cannot be with him, he should be in a crate to further his potty training.

Now, when the time comes to walk him, find out what he likes to eat and use it to persuade him to walk.
He should walk much easier when he is used to wearing the collar and leash, he is not afraid to walk..
He just doesn't know what you want him to do. After he has his last set of shots, allow him to walk next to
FRIENDLY dogs so that he can learn what to do. Dogs don't know immediately how to walk on leash because
it is not a natural thing to do. Your dog is perfectly normal, don't worry he will learn in no time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. She will get the rest of her shots in a couple of days. She is almost potty trained with an exception to a few accidents. She walked half way down the block today with no problem, I just gave her alot of time to "scope" the area to let her realize there is nothing scary or wrong with being further than 40 feet from the front door. And I did not introduce her to any dogs yet. So no worries about that. =0P Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
First off, PLEASE make sure your puppy has all of his first shots before you bring him for walks.
He can get very sick and catch a desease from an infected dog that is walked in the area.
Until he gets his last shots, only walk him in the backyard.

That said, i recommend getting him used to wearing the leash and collar.
Have him wear a collar inside the house at all times, then (with supervision) let him drag a leash around.
He should pretty much be "tied" to you when he's outside his crate (to prevent accidents) anyway.
When you cannot be with him, he should be in a crate to further his potty training.

Now, when the time comes to walk him, find out what he likes to eat and use it to persuade him to walk.
He should walk much easier when he is used to wearing the collar and leash, he is not afraid to walk..
He just doesn't know what you want him to do. After he has his last set of shots, allow him to walk next to
FRIENDLY dogs so that he can learn what to do. Dogs don't know immediately how to walk on leash because
it is not a natural thing to do. Your dog is perfectly normal, don't worry he will learn in no time.

Tanner got his last shots on this past Saturday and it is so nice to be able to take him out for walks and our daughter can't wait to take him with us to our next trip to the pet store. We even had him get the kennel cough vaccine just to be on the safe side. I didn't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If he is around lots of other dogs, yes he should have the "nose spray".
LOL, I find that so funny that the vaccine is given that way.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
If he is around lots of other dogs, yes he should have the "nose spray".
LOL, I find that so funny that the vaccine is given that way.
I agree and think it is strange that they do that because Tanner sneezed after they sprayed it up his nose. I told my husband I hope he got it all in before he sprayed us with it. Good to know we were sprayed with it also. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.