Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 week old French Bulldog and I am crate training him. He does pretty well in the crate and will enter it without any problems (no whining or barking). Since he has been doing well with crate training, I bought a baby gate to give him more room to play and roam around in the kitchen. For the last 2 weeks whenever he was in the kitchen, my husband or I would be in there with him playing and he's never had an accident. Since he was doing so well in the kitchen, I thought I could leave him alone for a few minutes while I stepped out to the other room to grab somethings. Now when he is left alone in the kitchen, he would pee immediately, even though he just went out and had his normal potty routine. Yesterday, he had over 6 pee accidents in a matter of 1 hr when I was trying to keep him in the kitchen alone but still in sight of me (by the time I got to him, he already had the accident). Also, he does not bark when i walk away, he would just pace around and all of a sudden he will squat and pee. I did take him to the vet today and it turns out he has a minor UTI and I started him on antibiotics. So today, whenever he was in the kitchen, i would stay with him and there were no pee accidents. But tonight, I left him alone in the kitchen while I went to change my clothes (less than 5 minutes away from him) and I when came back , I saw him squat and try to poop. I picked him up as he was doing it and took him right outside but he already finished in the kitchen. Im just wondering how can I decrease his anxiety when he's alone in the kitchen? How can I help my puppy? :cry:

Help please! Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
Well, partly, he is not feeling well. Secondly, is he always left in the kitchen? If so, he
may need some time out of it. When my pup was smaller, I put a leash on him and I
took him with me in the house. I did not let him free roam, I kept him tethered so that
I could monitor his moves. I made sure that I took him outside first to relieve himself.
Your pup's bladder muscles still need to get stronger and they will as he gets older and
gets used to holding his urine. But with a UTI it is difficult.

Does he have toys to play with in the kitchen to keep him occupied when you leave it?
Several things to play with does help as they get bored. It does take time to teach
them that you will be coming back. Do keep little treats in your pocket so that you
can give him one when he behaves. Best wishes. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have him in the kitchen when my husband and I are in there either cooking or playing with him. Since he doesn't have free roaming in the house yet, the kitchen is the biggest confined area that we leave him when we have to either use the bathroom ourselves or get dressed for work. We only leave him alone in the kitchen for 5-10 minutes at a time. Other times when we are home, he is either tethered to us and walking around the house or he is resting in his crate. If he has to be alone for longer, like if we run errands, he goes back into his crate and he seems fine with going into his crate (and no accidents in the crate). So I don't know why he is so anxious when we leave the kitchen.

In the AM, i would take him right out and then he would do his business there and then I would play with him for 40-45 minutes before I have to go get dressed for work and in that 5 minutes, he would eliminate again. So i've taken him out to eliminate before I left him alone to get dressed, and he would still pee once I walk away. Any suggestions on how to decrease his anxiety would help. I even moved his crate into the kitchen in the day time so when we do have to step away, he can at least go to the crate and rest on his own. But once we walk away, he would run out of his crate and pee on the floor.

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
I would say to crate him each time you must leave him. Then when you return, open his
crate, do not let him out but do pick him up and immediately take him outside to pee.
When he does, give him a treat and say good boy then come back inside. After a few
times he should get the idea. But I also think as he gets older the peeing in the kitchen
will stop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts