Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my dog ( old family red nose) 2 months ago. The breeder was feeding him purina puppy chow, but before i purchased him I did a little research and found out that grocery store food was terrible. So i purchased Eukanuba lamb and rice forumla. ( not much better; i know...) And like an idiot i purchased some bacon flavored sauce to help persuade him to eat b/c he wouldnt eat his intended amount, he would eat a little and leave it alone. When I added the sauce he would destroy his food, but i didnt want to buy sauce for the rest of his life so i stopped using it. Coincidently he quit eating. Might i add i switched his kibble from eukanuba to Nutro ultra puppy midway through the eukanuba gradually. Yayo (my dog) seems to hate nutro even more. I would feed him about 2 cups of nutro at about 6am and when i would get off work 2 cups would still be in his bowl. Frustrated i purchased some science diet canned food from the vet and mixed it w/ nutro w/ warm water and pow the anwswer!! he loves it, but i concerned on what kind of canned food would best to mix or should i mix. and should i change his kibble too b/c he wouldnt eat it by itself? please some answers.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Set the dry food down for 15 minutes. Pick up the bowl after 15 minutes even if there is food remaining. It's not likely that he'll starve himself. He'll eat it eventually if he learns that being picky won't get him what he wants. My female got picky right around the age of 10 weeks. She went one whole day without eating, but the next day, she ate what we offered her with no complaints. Nutro isn't the greatest food (too much grain, not enough meat), but it's better than Eukanuba.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I was going to suggest what Leeann did. You decide what your pup eats, not your pup. :) It may take a day or two, but the pup likely won't go longer than that.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
pose_red_nose said:
what about the food? what would be a great kibble and a good can food? or should i mix
There is a sticky at the top of this section with good food recommendations. Some brands I would recommend (off the top of my head) are:

Timberwolf Organics
Nature's Variety
Innova / California Natural
Canidae
Wellness
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance
Solid Gold
Pinnacle
Authority Harvest Baked (can buy at Petsmart)

I wouldn't even bother with the canned food. I use canned food as an occasional (maybe once every two weeks) treat, or a stuffing in my dogs' Kongs to keep them occupied in their crates.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I agree, only allow your pup 10-15 minutes max to eat his food..if he doesn't, pick it up and offer it again at a later feeding (I feed twice a day). Canned food is best only for an occasional treat or for offering meds, etc. So I do not recommend feeding it. Don't be alarmed if your dog goes 2-5 days without eating...a dog will not starve themselves. Once he realizes that what you offer is what he gets, he will eat..I guarantee it.

There are lots of great foods out there..make sure you choose one with meat as a first ingredient (not by-product meat though) and that it is free of corn and wheat products.

Canidae
California Natural
Innova
Blackwoods
Eagle Pack
Wellness
Royal Canin
Nutro Natural or Ultra
Diamond (Chicken Soup, Lamb & Rice, Beef & Rice)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Patch is a GUTS and we feed him a mixture of Innova and California Natural. We're really happy with it (and so is he!).
Occasionally, for a bit of variety, we add a couple of tablespoons of wet food, and give him a meaty bone daily.

I would definately recommend Innova/Cal Natural.

SO nutritious....

i'm interested in Eagle Pack... do you guys recommend this?
i only ask because i found a place i can buy it in bulk, and it would work out cheaper for me...

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
The problem with adding wet food to the dry is that they have a tendency to eat more than they should and put on weight and tartar builds up more quickly on their teeth. If I am correct, I do not believe Eagle is a quality food. Look it up on the internet and see what the ingredients are and how they compare to the ingredients listed in the quality foods that are in the sticky post on foods.

·
Registered
932 Posts
i only add wet food sometimes for some variety... i feel sorry for him eating dry kibble all the time!!!!

i suppose i should stop that.... he's getting a meaty bone every day too.... so he's getting a little variety
and he LOVES apples... we give him about 3 - 4 apples a week... he loves munching on them!

ok, i will look up eagle pack on the web.

it's not listed in that posting on this site.... it's not graded here.

we're happy with Innova/Cal Natural so i think we'll stick to it.

i'm going to try and see if i can buy it in bulk cos it's hurting the pocket.....

AUS$35 per 3.5kg bag of innova (i think that equates to about US$25 per 3.5kg)

·
Registered
932 Posts
OK
Eagle Pack Puppy formula ingredients are:
Chicken Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Ground Brown Rice, Pork Meal, Corn Germ Meal (Dry Milled), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Wheat Germ Meal, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Air-Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Inulin, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

A NO NO!!!!!

second ingredient is yellow corn, then rice.
and its chicken meal as the first ingredient.

ill stick woth Innova and Cal Natural.... real meat and no fillers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.