Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Councils and Commisioners

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Social Studies I had to write a speech on current issues. So I chose pitbulls in the media and how banning them is not the answer. Well I hope you like it.....

Pit Bull Terriers came to the U.S in the 1800s. In 1898 the UKC (United Kennel Club) recognized the breed as the American Pit Bull Terrier. A good breeder will breed a Pit Bull for it’s temperament. But others such as illegal drug dealers will use them for protection or fighting them for money. As we speak, there are probably many dogs who are bleeding in a pit, left to die. It’s a sad thought. But we have sad people in our world. Many people will ruin the breed for such awful things.
Before Pit Bulls are asked innocence they are found guilty for being Pit Bulls. Many owner activists are protesting the Pit Bull Terrier ban along with people who own Rottweilers or any big muscular looking dog. The truth is any dog can bite. Why choose to ban the Pit Bulls? Media. That’s why. You’ve probably heard stories on the news about a Pit Bull attacking a man or child. But do you think the media wants to show a Labrador retriever attacking someone? It happens. But because so many people have labs as family pets and labs are suppose to be so gentle, the media doesn’t show them. In fact, people have been killed from dachshunds, golden retrievers, Yorkshire terriers, Labrador retrievers, Pomeranians, Lhasa apsos, and the list goes on.
Councils and Commissioners have banned pit bulls. Not taking in the fact that few of these dogs actually bite or that it’s the owners fault for training it to be vicious. There way of dealing with things is to just ban them, ban them all. .
Will banning pit bulls really lower the dog attack rate? The answer is “no” for many reasons. Criminals and dog fighters will find other dogs to use such as an Akita or a Rottweiler. People will buy puppies not knowing the responsibilities of socializing and training them. Maybe they will leave the dog in the basement for the rest of it’s life and only go down to feed it. Eventually, they’re going to have a big vicious dog. That dog will end up being put to sleep and it’s the owners fault. Like children, dogs need to learn what’s right and wrong, what’s acceptable and unacceptable. Without that, the dog could being heading towards euthanasia.
When people commit serious crime they go to jail. When dogs commit a crime they don’t have a trial, they don’t even have a jail. They have a needle that kills them. So before you sign a petition agreeing to banning all pit bulls then think of the fact that all dogs have potentially the chance to be dangerous and that it’s not fair to single out one specific breed because some un-responsible owners didn’t take the time to train or socialize. Just think about that.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Awesome ambulldog!!! That was excellent. I hope it opens some eyes in your class. Do you have to have any photos or props for the speech?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I hope it opened some eyes up to. I didn't have to use any photos or props though but I think I got my point across to the class :wink:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
Thank you, I hope it opened some eyes up to. I didn't have to use any photos or props though but I think I got my point across to the class :wink:
Ahh, you already gave the speech. I wish I was into dogs at your age :D I'm 26. Where are you from? How did you go about getting started in agility?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm from the New England part of the United States. My dad brought me to the agility shows when I was a little girl and I loved the action and show enviroment there. Show confirmation seemed to boring for me. I then got my first puppy when I was 13 named Abby, we went to obedience classes which had an agility course set up and I would do a little agility with her while I was waiting for trainer to come over to us. I then knew that after we graduated two levels of obedience I wanted to do agility. I looked into a good agility facility which focused on competing and accuracy and found the perfect place. So far, we can master a novice course but have not competed yet. I hope to compete by next summer though with the USDAA.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
I'm from the New England part of the United States. My dad brought me to the agility shows when I was a little girl and I loved the action and show enviroment there. Show confirmation seemed to boring for me. I then got my first puppy when I was 13 named Abby, we went to obedience classes which had an agility course set up and I would do a little agility with her while I was waiting for trainer to come over to us. I then knew that after we graduated two levels of obedience I wanted to do agility. I looked into a good agility facility which focused on competing and accuracy and found the perfect place. So far, we can master a novice course but have not competed yet. I hope to compete by next summer though with the USDAA.
That is really cool that your dad got you into it. Youre right, show conformation is boring. If youre able to get some video of Abby doing agility post it :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
WONDERFUL!!!! I especially like the last statement. It provides a good argument in a consise way. Good last words to leave people thinking about!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know what I think is funny, that 49 people have viewed this and only 3 people voted in the poll.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Your speech was very good!

I am interested in the agility training, however I don't know where to start. Do you know of any links to where I might find places that offer the training?

The poll was tough. I voted for media, cause they are responsible for feeding the hype, but the councils and commissioners are often the ones who eat up the hype and create biased legislation directly effecting us as owners.

There was a suburb near me where the city council, which consisted of four members, imposed BSL against pit bulls without any input from the community. If you look up Shrewsbury Missouri BSL it should come up. I worry because I am looking at buying a home in the county and worry that an act like this from a city council will force me to move again.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To go about getting started in agility, I would visit http://www.cleanrun.com and then go to info center and then click clubs/schools and see if there is one in your area. Thank you about the speech though : )

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That was a great speech!

I agree with cannon. I voted for media because that's usually where all this starts. I have a customer who has german shepards. One day while on a walk one of her shepards bit someone. They had to go to court, pay a fine, etc.... This happend while they were trying to impose BSL. Do you think there was anything in the paper or news? Nope, never even heard of. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want the family to go through that at all. It was just the point that if it was a bully breed it would have been pasted all over the media as a "Pit Bull" attack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts