Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there my staffie when out for a walk somtimes pulls so hard on his lead that it makes him sick....
He is 7 months old and quite a big boy i am using quite a wide collar and lead. i,e leather staffie collar and he pulls away with such force....
What can i do to stop this.....

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
harley also pulls so hard, I had to wear gloves to walk her. I bought a prong collar from Petco. Put it on in the store, as soon as she started to pull, she dropped to the ground. I don't use it all the time, but it's works! Gentle Leaders also work great, I've heard. They sell them at Petco also. Both are under $20

·
Registered
8,670 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Other staffie owners i have asked have recomended them.... might get 1 to try it out........ dont know if i am into the idea of the other collar..... Thanks again.... Will let you know of the results after i have tryed the harness

·
Registered
181 Posts
delboy109 said:
Hi there my staffie when out for a walk somtimes pulls so hard on his lead that it makes him sick....
He is 7 months old and quite a big boy i am using quite a wide collar and lead. i,e leather staffie collar and he pulls away with such force....
What can i do to stop this.....
What training have you done to teach him to walk nicely?

Remember that pulling is self-rewarding for your dog - but only if it's successful. If pulling on the leash NEVER gets him closer to whatever he wants to get to, it will cease to be rewarding for him. And if pulling ALWAYS gets him marching in the opposite direction, he'll give it up that much faster.

That's a nice looking harness, but I would think that the design really just makes it more comfortable for the dog to pull into. Seems kind of counter-productive to me.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Prong collars work to stop the pulling very effectively. When used correctly, they do not harm the dog because they force the dog to self-correct and stop pulling. As soon as the dog feels the collar tighten, they will let up, instead of just choking themselves the whole time. Sometimes powerful dogs will need a slight tug to correct, but I've found them more effective than harnesses, thick collars, head collars, and all sorts of novelty products meant to stop pulling.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Gentle leader works great on my pup, you have to let the pup get used to it though. At first my pup didnt like it but soon as he knew i wasnt gonna take it off he calmed down. He does whatever i tell him to do also. The straps are also on some nerves that when pressed on calm the pup so the dog will be easier to train.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...ntle+lead&In=All&previousText=gentle+lead&N=2

these also dont use pain to teach the dog, which has its benefits.

btw, if your dog pulls now, i cant imagine how much he would with that harness on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.