Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read the english bulldogs are not for the obediece trainer, but Mack has proven me wrong. He is 3 and learns everyday. I have taught him a new trick every couple of weeks, he sits, gives both paws, and lies down. Not to mention doesnt pee in the house anymore, stays when I tell him, heals on the leash and off the leash. I just keep him on the leash because of the people at my complex. But he definitly knows his place in the pack, he waits for me to go through doors and pays attention to my body language and vocal commands. He is so freaken smart I dont even know what to do with him.

What should I teach him next?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I had to write this and jynx myself I guess. My dog peed in the house tonight, he can be left home all day long for 8 hours and he will be fine. But as soon as we (my girlfriend and I) locked him out of the bedroom he dicided to pee on the carpet. When we first got him he had this problem about once a day. Then it started to slowly get better, a few days, a week, then a few weeks, I thought he was going to be good. A month ago he was following me into the bathroom and I closed the door on his face. Well as soon as I came out he had peed on the floor right outside the bathroom. So like I said he will go weeks without problems, but once and a while he will still slip up. Is he mad or scared? I feel he might have some abandoment issues because his last owner gave him away to me, and he was very attached to his other dog, and kids. So I am thinking he might be scared we are leaving him. What do I do?

At first I would take him out as soon as I saw the pee, now I dont even bother because he knows where he should pee, and it didnt make a difference. Is this something he will just grow out of and realize we aren't going to give him up like his last loser owner?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Dakota still occasionally does this. To me, it seems like a behavior issue every time. I mean, you close a door in their face, and all the sudden, they have to go to the bathroom soooo bad they can't hold it, but they don't go to the door? I don't think so. I fyou have to close him out of a room, maybe you should put him in his crate.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
A fun game I play with my dog is hide and seek. I have him sit and stay in one room, and then I hide somewhere (have a treat with you if you want). Once I have hidden, I call him. He loves this game! If I am in a position where I can see out, I can watch him try to find me and it is hilarious. He will search and search until he finds me. Start off easy, where he can find you right away.

As far as the peeing goes-my guess is that it has something to do with your going in the other room and closing the door on him, although you said when you leave for the day, he's fine. Hmmm...not sure.

·
Super Moderator
16,022 Posts
BigMack said:
Well I had to write this and jynx myself I guess. My dog peed in the house tonight, he can be left home all day long for 8 hours and he will be fine. But as soon as we (my girlfriend and I) locked him out of the bedroom he dicided to pee on the carpet. When we first got him he had this problem about once a day. Then it started to slowly get better, a few days, a week, then a few weeks, I thought he was going to be good. A month ago he was following me into the bathroom and I closed the door on his face. Well as soon as I came out he had peed on the floor right outside the bathroom. So like I said he will go weeks without problems, but once and a while he will still slip up. Is he mad or scared? I feel he might have some abandoment issues because his last owner gave him away to me, and he was very attached to his other dog, and kids. So I am thinking he might be scared we are leaving him. What do I do?

At first I would take him out as soon as I saw the pee, now I dont even bother because he knows where he should pee, and it didnt make a difference. Is this something he will just grow out of and realize we aren't going to give him up like his last loser owner?

Was wondering if when you go out the main door, he knows how long he has to hold it but when you go behind another door he does not. Just a thought. In the meantime, I do think a crate at night might help if you do not want him in the same room.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well he has never been in a crate, and only does this every few weeks. Like I said when I leave through the main door and leave him home all day (having free rein of the house) he is fine. I am just going to deal with it, I have some good pee cleaner/scent remover so its not staining. And its not like he is even fully releaving himself. Just a little sprinkle. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm just amazed he has free rein of the house throughout the day!

You gotta give him some credit if peeing occasionally is the only slip up.

I can't leave Patch for 2 minutes in the house on his own.... God only knows what he's capable of doing (if you look at the backyard, you will understand my apprehension).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patch said:
I'm just amazed he has free rein of the house throughout the day!

You gotta give him some credit if peeing occasionally is the only slip up.

I can't leave Patch for 2 minutes in the house on his own.... God only knows what he's capable of doing (if you look at the backyard, you will understand my apprehension).
Yeah trust me I am not complaining, he is so good its not even funny.

·
Registered
147 Posts
BigMack said:
Well he has never been in a crate, and only does this every few weeks. Like I said when I leave through the main door and leave him home all day (having free rein of the house) he is fine. I am just going to deal with it, I have some good pee cleaner/scent remover so its not staining. And its not like he is even fully releaving himself. Just a little sprinkle. Thanks for the replies.

What kind of carpet cleaners are you using?
I so need to find something good that works for more than a couple of days.
It seems the order comes back so maybe I'm using the wrong product.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rue said:
BigMack said:

What kind of carpet cleaners are you using?
I so need to find something good that works for more than a couple of days.
It seems the order comes back so maybe I'm using the wrong product.
Natures miracle works great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.