Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall hearing somewhere that if you keep a dog's toenails constantly trimmed, the quick will begin to withdraw. Is this true?

Both my dogs' nails seem long, even when trimmed to the quick. But today is the first time I've had them trimmed in probably 4-6 months. I know that's way too long, but I don't like to do it myself because I got Maddi too close once and she yelped and was bleeding everywhere (it seemed like to a concerned dad :p) and now I take them to the vet for nail trimming, lol. I've just been so busy with school and work lately it kinda slipped by the wayside.

· Registered
405 Posts
I trim Josie's nails every 1-2 weeks and I haven't noticed his quicks withdrawing at all. His nails are quite long (pink quicks). If you feel more comfortable allowing the vet to trim the nails, may I suggest using an emery board or file in between trips to the vet. This will help keep them short. Using baking soda, salt and type of powder works when an accidental dips happens. Packing the foot in a sock filled with either one the above mention powder works well. Again just remember if the foot becomes wet before the nail grows back you might need to reapply the sock.

· Registered
2,838 Posts
Have them run around the yard if it is cut to short and starts to bleed .The dirt will stop it.I myself have done that but also use Quick stop which I got from my vet,works very well.I trim 1-2 unless it's not needed but I like there nails short.The more you trim the shorter the quick.

· Registered
14 Posts
sjburns said:
Jack's room has a concrete floor, for easy cleanup with a hose, plus he ate most of the linoleum. The concrete acts like a file, and we don't have to trim his nails.
Jade is no problem but, Jasmine is another story it takes 3 grown men to cut her nails, so I usually take her for a walk on asphalt or concrete and it does the job.

· Registered
135 Posts
don't get me started...

I'm embarrassed to admit that my dog's nails need to be trimmed. I am a complete failure. I would like my dog to sit and hold out her paw while I trim.

failure is always an option,
Jackie
Lord of the Glades

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.