Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote about this last night in a frantic worry, hoping and praying that someone would answer... Half a day has gone by, and no one has noticed my plea for help under my other thread about her stitches. (There are more pictures added over on that thread.) So I figured I would start another one, and hope someone has some advice.

Nala's external stitches are almost all out. It started oozing again last night. I took her to the vet today after waiting for HOURS to be seen since I was a walk-in.

They think the INTERNAL stitches have come apart, and her fatty tissue and/or intestines are poking through. Now she has nothing holding her OUTSIDE together, so really-- at any time, that wound can dehisce.

They cleaned up the incision, then told me to use cold compresses and gave me a bottle of pain medicine for her.

Does anyone else think this requires a little more than that? Why aren't they FIXING it? It's not going to get better all by itself! Shouldn't they open the wound and CLOSE the inside layers?

On top of that, her cold has gotten worse. She's coughing a little bit now, and her snot is turning greenish instead of clear. She's going downhill.

Then I come on here and all you people are fighting like 2 yr olds. Can someone please stop their whining for 5 frickin' minutes and help a person in need? Sorry to sound irritated, but this forum is here to help people. Not one person noticed my baby is SICK because they're too busy bickering and calling each other names.

Can anyone please help... should I get a 2nd opinion, or will they tell me the same thing? I am afraid I am going to lose her. I am going out of my mind. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,754 Posts
Is this your normal vet? Do you trust them? if you are still that worried I would take her to another vet- ER if need be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Trina, If It was me and odin, I would be taking him to another vet to get a second opinion. It's not so much about trust of the first, but peace of mind.

Sounds serious to me, but Im a worry type of person when it comes to odin.


I hope the little girl makes a turn for the better, I really do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,754 Posts
Sennin said:
Trina, If It was me and odin, I would be taking him to another vet to get a second opinion. It's not so much about trust of the first, but peace of mind.

Sounds serious to me, but Im a worry type of person when it comes to odin.


I hope the little girl makes a turn for the better, I really do.
Yeah I am a worrier too - I would take her to another vet or ER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,413 Posts
If it really is her intestines sticking out, she needs surgery NOW. If it's just fatty tissue, it will heal on its own. Is she on any antibiotics? She needs them for both her cold (which sounds a lot like kennel cough to me), and for her belly. I would get her back in there, or into a different vet for a second opinion.

Have you tried to PM Miakoda? She's a tech - she might have better advice.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you. I've seen a lot of things in the last 5 years, but this is a new one to me, and since I can't see it for myself, I don't know what else to tell you. I'll keep your baby in my thoughts. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,911 Posts
Trina, I'd take her to another vet, or an emergency vet and see if there is anything else that can be done. I don't think that a cold compress and pain meds is all that can be done. Maybe take her to the vet that did the spay in the first place?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did PM Miakoda, but I don't think she's been online. I'm currently on hold with another vet as I type this.

(Ok, she's going to be seen there in 20 minutes, so I have to go.)

Tasha, her spay was done in Kentucky with the other rescue group. I don't know anything about that place!

She is still acting herself, so that is good. I will let you know what this other vet says. Gotta go.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
do you really need to be told to get up and take that pup to an emergency vet or to another vet all together? You are a nurse and know for sure if something is wrong with her. Nothing any of us can do but look at your photos and give you our opinion. If you are here to see if we can possibly give you good news about the situation I doubt that is going to happen. We are dog owners not doctors.

If your previous vet REALLY thought the intestines were falling out of Nala do you really think he/she would have let you leave? I mean seriously, have you ever met a vet that would send home a patient that he thought this was as serious as you think it is? No way it would happen.

If you are that worried I would suggest you leave the internet site and get some professional help for Nala.
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
3,627 Posts
I'm sorry I hadn't noticed. I feel terrible, truly. I can imagine how you must be feeling. I agree with everyone else, it's serious if you think it is. Better safe than sorry, take her to another vet.

Good luck.

~S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
Trina...I'm sorry to hear about Nala. I'll be anxious to hear how things go with her. I'm sorry we were busy bickering. :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
I agree with James - harsh but true - too many people come on here (not just HERE, the internet) and I'm always appalled that they have to be TOLD to go find vet help. In one case a gal had a dog that had been sick and getting sicker by the moment and was still asking if she ought to take the dog in!? We're not there, we can't gauge how sick a dog is, only YOU, the OWNER is there. If YOU feel it's sick enough to wonder if you should or not, you should.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
I don't think you can say with any certainty what we are thinking. And, she already was on the phone with a vet before anyone even responded. Maybe she just wanted some support or something to put her mind at ease. Maybe someone else that went through something similar could have given her some helpful info or tips. Please do not assume you know what anyone is thinking, and as Augrad said, this is real life, not everything in your head needs to come out of your mouth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,876 Posts
agree with everyone....take her to the vet, which i think you are already there....

my prayers are with you and peanut, hope all is well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
I hope everything is going well with Nala right now. I've been on and off this site all day and have missed a lot of posts.

If you're afraid that you're losing your dog, I'd say that's the perfect time to take her to another vet! I tend to take my dogs to the vet for everything. If you can easily afford it, why the hell wouldn't you? (No cricisism on you, Trina, just a general observation.)
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top