Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote about this last night in a frantic worry, hoping and praying that someone would answer... Half a day has gone by, and no one has noticed my plea for help under my other thread about her stitches. (There are more pictures added over on that thread.) So I figured I would start another one, and hope someone has some advice.

Nala's external stitches are almost all out. It started oozing again last night. I took her to the vet today after waiting for HOURS to be seen since I was a walk-in.

They think the INTERNAL stitches have come apart, and her fatty tissue and/or intestines are poking through. Now she has nothing holding her OUTSIDE together, so really-- at any time, that wound can dehisce.

They cleaned up the incision, then told me to use cold compresses and gave me a bottle of pain medicine for her.

Does anyone else think this requires a little more than that? Why aren't they FIXING it? It's not going to get better all by itself! Shouldn't they open the wound and CLOSE the inside layers?

On top of that, her cold has gotten worse. She's coughing a little bit now, and her snot is turning greenish instead of clear. She's going downhill.

Then I come on here and all you people are fighting like 2 yr olds. Can someone please stop their whining for 5 frickin' minutes and help a person in need? Sorry to sound irritated, but this forum is here to help people. Not one person noticed my baby is SICK because they're too busy bickering and calling each other names.

Can anyone please help... should I get a 2nd opinion, or will they tell me the same thing? I am afraid I am going to lose her. I am going out of my mind. :cry:

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did PM Miakoda, but I don't think she's been online. I'm currently on hold with another vet as I type this.

(Ok, she's going to be seen there in 20 minutes, so I have to go.)

Tasha, her spay was done in Kentucky with the other rescue group. I don't know anything about that place!

She is still acting herself, so that is good. I will let you know what this other vet says. Gotta go.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You know what... I don't even have time to read all your posts, but first of all, let me say, James -- F#CK OFF! What the HELL did you THINK I was doing!!!???? I was on the phone with another vet as I was typing. I came here NOT to ask you all to DO something about it, I came here to see what you THOUGHT while I was waiting to get her in to ANOTHER VET for a 2nd opinion. MAYBE, just MAYBE someone on here went through something similar and could say, "Hey that happened with my dog, it'll be okay." Instead I get a bunch of BS from you. And don't give me that crap that I'm a nurse, I should know. I deal with HUMAN adults, not 10 week old puppies, okay. I've never seen a hernia from a spay incision, excuse me for being unsure and asking for help. Thanks so much for your kindess and understanding. It was REALLY appreciated. :roll: Think before you speak... and if you're going to speak like that, you better talk to someone else, son. I don't take $hit from anyone. You can sit and talk to yourself, because I am done with you. That's all I'm going to say to you.

To everyone else, thank you for the kind words. I will read over everything when I get a chance.

To update you, I took Nala to the EXPERIENCED vet. I was calling around trying to find someone older because the vet at Banfield looked like she just graduated high school. So I found the perfect vet, and he got me in right away.

I feel soooooo much better. Everything is going to be fine with her incision. He said he didn't feel it was a hernia at all. He felt it was an inflammatory reaction to the internal stitches. He said, "But do I feel good about her incision? No. But I'm not as worried about her incision as I am her nasal drainage." He feels she may be getting pneumonia. I showed him the antibiotics she was on, and he said they were great, and that should fix her right up. But if she's not better by Thurs or Friday, she's going back for a chest X-ray.

He said she looks like a very sick puppy, and that she's "right behind the 8 ball." But if I keep feeding her, and keep her hydrated, and keep her on the antibiotics, she should be okay. He said the belly problem we can always fix if we have to, he said that's not a big deal. He said the cold is what we have to stay on top of. I told him it was my fault because I gave her a bath and maybe she aspirated some water. He said no, that it was probably coincidental and that she was probably already coming down with something.

He also said her heart is healthy... the last vet said she had a murmur. He disagreed, and he's been doing this about 40 years longer than she has, so I trust him. He's also concerned about her pot belly, and being full of worms. We dewormed her yesterday, but he wants to see another stool sample in 3 weeks to see if she has some other kind of worms. He said it shouldn't be so bloated like that, even with roundworms.

She's sound asleep at my feet right now. My hands are still shaking and I feel like I'm going to vomit. I'm going to take something to rest and get ready for work in a bit. Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Before I knock myself out for a nap, I did read your replies... thank you to those who offered support.

I don't think some of you realize that Nala has seen a vet FOUR times already, so please don't act like I was too stupid to figure that out, and only came to this forum for help. No, I came here for BACK-UP. Nala saw her vet on Friday. They quickly looked at her, said it was probably infected, but couldn't fit her in to be seen until Monday. So Monday she went back, was prescribed antibiotics, was dewormed, and sent home. Last night her incision became more swollen, and the stitches came out. She wasn't acting any differently, as a matter of fact, she was playful and eating a sirloin steak. So I wasn't going to rush her in, but I still wanted some opinions on what was going on. She went BACK to the vet today, as I said, I was a walk-in, so it took a few hours to get seen. She DID NOT SAY her intestines were "falling out." Jesus Christ, if they were "falling out" Nala would be in surgery, and I would be bawling. She simply said it MAY be a hernia, which she explained is usually just fat tissue, but sometimes the intestines can slip through... so that we would just have to keep an eye on her, and put cold compresses on her belly, and give her pain medicince and anti-inflammatory medication, and see her back on Friday. Of course if something changed, then I was bring her back in immediately.

I was home for 5 minutes before I posted on here to update you on what was said by the vet... but went I came to UPDATE YOU, I saw that no one noticed I was having a problem anyway, because they were too busy arguing. I thought that even though they saw her 3 times this week, I better get a 2nd opinion because I just wasn't trusting this last one. She didn't DIAGNOSE her with a hernia, she just said it LOOKS like one, and we need to watch carefully. Well that wasn't good enough for me. I wondered if perhaps I was overreacting, and asked what you all thought. Because, that's what we do. We share our problems and try to HELP one another.

In the meantime I was getting her scheduled for a 4th visit with ANOTHER dr, and spending MORE money for someone to put my mind at ease, which to me, was priceless. They said Nala is okay, and while she is very sick, she is treatable. I can breathe now.

So please don't categorize me with people who write here saying, "Help I got drunk, my dog bit me, someone call me, I need help." (LMAO, remember that?) Sorry... anyway, my point is that I WAS ALREADY GETTING HELP, I just wanted some emotional support from my FRIENDS. I thought that's what we're here for. I hope I am not wrong.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hi. Thanks again for the people who are praying/pulling for Nala. If you're going to bicker, please start your own thread. Megan, again.. I wasn't asking what I should do as if I hadn't done a darn thing yet...please read my posts that follow. I was asking for opinions while I was waiting to get in to the vet for the FOURTH time. I can only DO so much, thought it would be nice to get some opinions from people who may have gone through something similar. As you can see, I was panicking, but not for nothing. She IS sick, she's just not in any imminent danger. Thank you, Jesus.

Now, could you please start your own thread? Just call it, "calling all immature brats who like to argue over trivial matters that have nothing to do with dogs, post here." That should get you what you want and thrive upon. THIS thread is for Nala, and I do believe when your dogs were sick, dying, missing or hurt, I never ONCE made any remarks that were anything less than helpful or sympathizing, now did I? I didn't think so. Thanks and carry on with your day now.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I was referring to the people who were giving me a hard time. Oh wait, let me get into semantics before people start pulling out the ol' quotes. Not everyone was being "rude," they just weren't "sugar-coating." Well guess what... when your dog is sick, I'll be sure not to sugarcoat anything either. Is that kosher? Wouldn't want you to actually feel better, now would I? Geesh, I can't believe I actually expected some human responses of sympathy and understanding. You don't want me to say what I think of all the problems of everyone on this forum, because I sure as hell won't sugarcoat anything either. But I have the social couth to understand that when you don't have anything nice to say, you don't say anything at all.

Vonna, Karen, Steph -- to all of you who have shown support, I am really, really thankful. It shows who truly has their heart in the right place, and it's those people who are worried about the 10 week old sick puppy in this thread, and the worried mommy behind it.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thank you Managirl!!! I haven't seen you in soooo long!! You've been missed! How are you, and the kids, and hubby? And Managirl?

I'm also sorry that I've been a bit short with people, and pretty rude myself today. I'm not normally like that, but I was just a bundle of nerves today. I apologize. I am lashing out because I am very worried and nervous about my pup.

Here's a little video of Nala... she's still sneezy and not feeling well. You can tell her sinuses are REALLY bothering her. But she's in good spirits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bOmfS8Au3I

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Edited: I still think I read it correctly the first time, but I really don't care to get into it anymore.

Thanks everyone for the sweet words.. I updated on a thread started by sajoseph.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I edited my post because you're probably right. I had to read it a few times, and I thought she was quoting me, not sharing her own thoughts. I get it now. I've had very little sleep and I've been dying to get to bed since 3am.

Night night..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.