Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up very early this morning because Nala kept coughing. (She is still sleeping in my bed, but at least I can watch over her very carefully!) I thought maybe she just had some drainage in her throat again, so I got up with her. (She purposely won't hack up or blow her nose in my bed, it's like she knows she's not supposed to!) So we went outside and she did hack up a little and blew her nose in the grass. I thought she'd feel better after that, but she is still coughing. It's a dry, nagging cough. Still has the snotty nose too. No fevers. Her nose is cold and wet, and her body temperature feels normal.

I think this sounds very much like kennel cough. I am assuming the antibiotics she's taking will cover that too. I'm a little nervous because she should be getting better at this point, not worse. I'm calling her vet (AGAIN) as soon as they open, and ask what they think. The good news is, she's not really acting all that different. She's still playful today. It's so funny how she has gone from being so timid and shy, to this little monster chewing up anything in her path! :lol: I love it though, that's how a puppy should be.

Anyway, have any of your dogs had kennel cough? What was their experience like? How long were they sick? Is this fairly minor? (Remember this is my diagnosis from what I've read. The time line and symptoms sounds very much like kennel cough, but I will have to see what her vet says.)

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called them as soon as they opened. The person that answered the phone said, "Well where would she have gotten that, it's not very common." Uhhh.. ok. Well how come I hear about it all the time then? Anyway, she asked the vet and she said if Nala DOES have Bordatella (kennel cough) then the Clavamox she is already taking will cover it.

I THOUGHT she was vaccinated against it. In fact, I THOUGHT she had all her first shots. But I called the place in KY where Nala had her spay done and found out that she only had her Parvo vaccine. So I guess she is still due for all her first shots. I feel horrible! I've had her out in public and everything. The rescue group said "she had her shots" -- they failed to mention that she was missing some very important ones. I hope she's not sick from something I exposed her to at PetsMart or the vet's office.

Her cough has calmed down a bit, so hopefully she was able to bring it all up before it settled in her lungs. I'm doing my best to get her well again! I hope it's nothing worse than a normal cold. They can't even vaccinate her until she's well, so let's hope she had a speedy recovery.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? Heaven and Koa both had their Bordatella vaccines with their routine shots. I'm not sure if they were given it on the first round or not, but I know they just had their boosters. I could be wrong.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, everyone! She's still eating and drinking... can't get the girl to stop, as a matter of fact! LOL. She's gonna end up like Koa and grow up overnight.

She still has that dry, raspy, hacking cough, but it seems like it gets better as the day goes on. She goes back to the vet on Tues to have her stitches removed. (They asked me not to do it myself in case the wound opens.) I don't think there's very much more I can be doing for her, and she's still in good spirits. She's had this cold for a week now, let's hope it doesn't last much longer.

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good morning... little update. Nala's cough is a little more "productive" today. Meaning it's not so dry, she's bringing up stuff, sounds a little more harsh instead raspy. She is a little eating machine... this girl can pack away food like nobody's business. I think she will be fine as long as she rests and eats and drinks. And she is. So hopefully this is just about over.

Heaven & Koa are showing no signs of a cold, and they've been exposed to Nala for 11 days now. I think if they don't start in with runny noses this week, they are in the clear. They both are very strong and healthy with good immune systems, so maybe it passed them by. And I don't KNOW that it's Bordatella, just a suspicion based on symptoms.

Anyway, all the pooches are doing well. Just keeping an eye on the little peanut.

By the way, I heard her bark for the first time yesterday. It was just a quick little "arf" but it was something. She has a voice! LOL

· Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah she was full of roundworms. They dewormed her a week or so ago, and she will have another dose next week. If she doesn't look better soon, I will be taking in another stool sample to check for more. Poor girl. She's gagging on her sputum today. She always feels kinda yucky in the morning though. She gets better as the day goes on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.