Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the red rash cleared up. But she's still itching. The vet gave me a special shampoo to use -- it's not really helping. She scratches constantly, her ears and legs are all scabbed up from chewing, biting, and scratching. She said it's not a food allergy, she said that is something that happens over time. What about mites? Would that cause itching all over like this? No hair loss, no bumps anymore. She is just very uncomfortable. I tried giving her blankets with no detergent to sleep on. No change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
Poor Nala has had a rough run of it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Poor baby!

Could it maybe be an environmental allergy? Maybe something you clean your floors/furniture with? Something in the yard? Has the vet done a skin scrape? That would let you know if it's mites or a fungus of some sort.

Poor little Nala! This little girl needs a break from all the ickies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Have you posted about this before? I missed it if you did. Have you already given her Benadryl? Why was your vet so quick to rule out food allergies. Isn't that sort of a process of elimination type thing? Harley had a problem where she lost a lot of fur, and I spent like $200 running tests. Everything was negative. What did the vet test for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tinkerbell said:
Poor baby!

Could it maybe be an environmental allergy? Maybe something you clean your floors/furniture with? Something in the yard? Has the vet done a skin scrape? That would let you know if it's mites or a fungus of some sort.

Poor little Nala! This little girl needs a break from all the ickies!
No skin scraping yet... I will ask her next visit. I don't treat my yard with anything. I don't know if she's allergic to my carpet shampoo. It's just impossible to figure out!

Yeah she said I could give her Benadryl. I just hate to drug her, she wants to play and be happy. I will give that a shot though, and maybe if she stops messing with it, it will go away on its own? *crosses fingers*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Tinkerbell said:
Poor baby!

Could it maybe be an environmental allergy? Maybe something you clean your floors/furniture with? Something in the yard? Has the vet done a skin scrape? That would let you know if it's mites or a fungus of some sort.

Poor little Nala! This little girl needs a break from all the ickies!
No skin scraping yet... I will ask her next visit. I don't treat my yard with anything. I don't know if she's allergic to my carpet shampoo. It's just impossible to figure out!

Yeah she said I could give her Benadryl. I just hate to drug her, she wants to play and be happy. I will give that a shot though, and maybe if she stops messing with it, it will go away on its own? *crosses fingers*
Dang, what's that, the nurse in you injecting your dog :lol: . Most of us don't use hypodermic neeles, I don't think :lol:

Seriously, how could the vet possibly rule out food allergies without doing other tests first. That doesn't make sense to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
woops, forgot to answer that. Because she said food allergies develop over time. They have to be exposed to the allergen over time before they become allergic. She's not old enough to have been exposed to any certain food for that long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
woops, forgot to answer that. Because she said food allergies develop over time. They have to be exposed to the allergen over time before they become allergic. She's not old enough to have been exposed to any certain food for that long.
That's exactly what Bella's vet told me. I noticed that Bella's allergies got so much better when we replaced the carpet in most of our house with wood laminate flooring. I think she may have been allergic to dust mites, or dander from the previous owners dogs, or something along those lines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,702 Posts
Was Nala recently on antibiotics? I don't know if this is the case for all dogs, but whenever managirl is on antibiotics, she gets kind of rashy for a few weeks afterwards, and does alot of scratching and stuff even after the rash goes away.

Anyways, poor Nala, she just can't get a break can she? I hope she feels better soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Managirl said:
Was Nala recently on antibiotics? I don't know if this is the case for all dogs, but whenever managirl is on antibiotics, she gets kind of rashy for a few weeks afterwards, and does alot of scratching and stuff even after the rash goes away.

Anyways, poor Nala, she just can't get a break can she? I hope she feels better soon.
She was just on antibiotics, wasn't she? Interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah she had been on antibiotics for 10 days... she was supposed to be on them for 14 days, but I stopped them when she developed the rash. I thought it was yeast, but the vet thought bacterial. I don't see how she could get a bacterial infection from being on antibiotics! She had a vaginal yeast infection that seems to have cleared up. It's been a few weeks since we stopped the antibiotics... figured it would have all cleared up by now!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,983 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
Yeah she had been on antibiotics for 10 days... she was supposed to be on them for 14 days, but I stopped them when she developed the rash. I thought it was yeast, but the vet thought bacterial. I don't see how she could get a bacterial infection from being on antibiotics! She had a vaginal yeast infection that seems to have cleared up. It's been a few weeks since we stopped the antibiotics... figured it would have all cleared up by now!

They do seem to develop a rash from the antibiotics. Benedryl in tablet form will just help the itch go away but won't dope her up very much. Also feed her some plain cultured yogurt. It helps to get her system back into shape. Poor baby, give her a hug and a kiss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,975 Posts
I'm tellin ya, you gotta try the probiotics! LOL What kind of food are you feeding? I went to a new vet today and he was saying the red between toes is an allergy to grass and pollen. I don't know if Nala has that but I'm glad he cleared that up for me. I've switched Chico's food more times than I can count now. All this time it was an inhalent/ contact allergy.

Mites are not usually itchy so I doubt she has mange but you never know. Sorry you're having so many problems so early on.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top