Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She never stops itching. She just constantly itches and chews herself raw. I am using the Benedryl, but I'm not home to give it to her around the clock, so she's a mess when I get home. She has a quarter-size sore, all scabbed over and red. The vet just gave me a medicated shampoo. It's not working!! Time for another second opinion. She's so miserable. :cry:

Poor baby Nala.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Aww poor baby. Hopefully you can get this under control and it won't be something she has to deal with all her life.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Ask your vet about using Claritin...it lasts 24 hours. I had to give it to my previous AB due to allergies.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mom to many said:
Ask your vet about using Claritin...it lasts 24 hours. I had to give it to my previous AB due to allergies.
Good thinking! Does anyone know if they can safely take Claritin over the counter and what the dosage is?

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
My vet said that a dog over 50 lbs can take 1 ten mg pill (over the counter...but make sure it's NOT Claritin-D...thathas a decongestant in it...you just want Claritin).

How much does Nala weigh? If she is 30 lbs or more, then I would say go ahead and give her half a pill...if she's less than that, talk to your vet, since she'll probably need a smaller dosage. They do make children's (liquid) Claritin, so that may be an option if you need a smaller dose.

ETA: I just looked up Children's Claritin and one dose of that is exactly half of the adult pill (so it's 5 mg) maybe you could try that, even giving her 1/4 of the children's dose.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Oh that looks painful. Poor baby. I hope it clears up soon.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what she weighs.. probably close to 20 pounds. I'm running to the pharmacy in a few minutes. Hopefully that treats the symptoms, but I wish we could find the cause. I still think it's yeast, but I can't get the vet to agree with me. She seems to have a recurring vaginal yeast infection, maybe it's on her skin too.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
I'm not sure what she weighs.. probably close to 20 pounds. I'm running to the pharmacy in a few minutes. Hopefully that treats the symptoms, but I wish we could find the cause. I still think it's yeast, but I can't get the vet to agree with me. She seems to have a recurring vaginal yeast infection, maybe it's on her skin too.

Have the same problem with one of my dogs. It is a yeast infection and it is in her system coming up through the skin. It develops becasuse of the meds she was on and it wore her system down. I have to give Sasha a couple of Tablespoons of yogurt a day, wash the area with a medicated shampoo - I use Paul Mitchell's T-Tree (works good) and use spray bactine on the sore to relieve the itching and pain. We also give Sasha Benedryl. We have been able to keep it under control this way but have never completely cured it.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, well we tried the Claritin 5mg. She's currently trying to chew her leg off as I type. It may work to prevent new itchies, but I doubt it's going to do much for the itchies she already has. More Benedryl for Miss Nala. :(

·
Registered
410 Posts
are you sure she is not having a reaction to food allergies or something like that?? It looks like what Titus used to get all over when he was a pup and when I switched food (thanks to the advise of this board) it has not come back.... I know you feed good food but maybe she is allergic to something in it still??? Kinda like the other pup (sorry I can't remember who) was allergic to chickem....

·
Registered
504 Posts
Oh poor baby Nala. I hope you get it cleared up soon. It is SO miserable to itch.
Maybe an Oatmel shampoo might soothe her skin in the meantime. THey make it for dogs. Hartz I think. Or even Aveeno bath for people.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have you ever tried soaking her in oatmeal? Tobey got bit by a poisonous insect last week and got really sick from it, he also broke out with very itchy irritating skin so I bought four paws hyper allergic shampoo and soaked him in it and it seemed to help him out alot. I also bout this spray that is used on soar spots from itching that had tea leave oil in it and that worked wonders as well. The only thing is that you have to spray them twice a day, but Tobey had no hives or itchy spots after using both of those. I dont know the name of the spray bottle but I got both at Complete Petsmart. They were both 10 a bottle.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. I haven't tried the oatmeal. I've tried an inti-itch shampoo, and a medicated shampoo from the vet. She said it would cure both bacterial skin infections and fungal. But I don't think it's really helping. She has some of that reddish-brownish discoloration in between her toes and around her hoo-hah. Isn't that yeast? She also has lots of discharge when she pees. (Sorry for TMI.) I wonder if I should just put some Lotrimin cream on those spots and see what happens? I am afraid of making her worse.

I changed all the dogs food. I have Nala on Nutro's lamb and rice for puppies because I was told it was less allergenic. I have H & K on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (adult dog food) now -- they love it. I am not convinced it's a food allergy because she had this from day one. I've changed her food 3 times with no change in her symptoms.

The vet is closed today, but I'll get her in asap. Keep your fingers crossed that the baby gets some relief!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an EB w/ seasonal skin issues (not food related) and her regimine: holistic diet, Missing Link supplment, Lipiderm supplement, Biotin supplement, plan yogurt added to the mix with either a Claritin or Benedryl for good measure on days when she's eating herself alive. She gets bathed 1x-2x weekly depending on the severity. She used to get irritations similar to what you pictured as well as spotty hair loss. I read on another board (can't remember which - sorry) that Nu-Stock is like a miracle product, so I ordered a container of it (you can Google search for online merchants) and it's worked wonders. Not only has it eased her itchiness enough where she'll barely itch/scratch/gnaw at herself for a about 2 days post-application (reapplication is every three days, I believe) but the hair regrowth rate was incredible - I was stunned that the online claims were actually true. I got it for about $12-15 and it was worth every penny. It IS messy going on and does dry to a funky yellow color, but once you brush off the excess you can't even see it on their skin and it won't get all over your carpeting. Granted, this may not work for others, but maybe it's worth a shot ...

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Biggjay22501 said:
have you tried feeding her Canidae? Canidae is formulated for all life stages and is great for dogs coats. look at the pictures of the before and after on the dogs who had skin problems before they used Canidae. Tobeys skin and coat are beautiful from it maybe that will help nala.

Here is the part of the site i was talkin bout:
http://canidae.com/company/customertest/canidae1.html
Thanks Jay, I will definitely give this a shot!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts