Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just bought an American Bulldog from my brother. It is now 9 weeks old. I was wondering if anyone has had or know of anyone that has had problems with neighbors because of the breed of the dog, I heard that it's considered a Pitbull. Any special home owners insurance for owning an American Bulldog? Also, do they or will they ever come when you call their name? Any advise for me for anything? I am new to this sign. Thank you very much for your time

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah I forgot. It is a female and is the runt of the litter, How big do you think she will get? 65ish?Thanx

Steve

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Apbt's and AB's are two different dogs. Wonderful in their own ways. I have an Apbt and have been thinking about getting and AB for some time. Oh by the way Congrats on the new pup! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the link. I myself know they are diffenernt but our county dog kennel says it is considered a pit bull and that for home onwers insurance you have to be covered if you own a pitbull and they are other dogs included at different insurance companys. I think it's crap because I don't think there is anything wrong with either dogs. Anyone on this site have to get special insurance? We love our puppy. I hope she gets around 90lbs. but I don't think thats going to happen from what I hear from ohter people. Thanx

Steve

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ABs are considered "pit bull type" dogs by some municipalities. You would have to check on your local ordinances. This doesn't seem to be too widespread.

Most homeowner's insurance companies do not consider an AB to be "dangerous" like an APBT, and therefore do not gouge you on your premiums.

As for size and weight, it varies widely depending on your dog's pedigree. Some lines are big, some lines are not so big, and the rest are somewhere in the middle. I believe, generally speaking, female ABs vary from about 60 - 90 lbs. My female is around 70-75.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have an AB that was the runt too. At her last Vet visit she weighted in at about 50 lbs and she was only 6 months old. I am guessing that she will weight about 75-90 lbs when she is done growing. I will post how much she weights when we get her spayed (Oct 12)....Being the runt really means nothing once they get away fromt he puppypack and don't have to fight for food anymore they can really shoot up..........I met a woman when Tora was 10 weeks old that did not believe that she was the same puppy 3 months later :lol: She said but she was so small and I was YES!! that was her :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts