Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fury is obsessed with napkins. You would think she is seeing a treat of some sort, and her whole body just sways as she wags her tail. A lot like when she sees us and she's absolutely thrilled to see us. But, ummm, it's a napkin.

She takes them out of the trash and tears them into a million pieces. My kids have a habit of washing hands or something and leaving the semi-wet napkins on kitchen counter and now that Fury's taller (13 weeks old) she jumps and snags them easily if they're close to the edge.

I've removed the napkins and replaced them with toys, treats, told her no but she just wants to tear up napkins --it would look like it was snowing in our house with all the itty bitty napkin pieces.

How can I restrict her from touching an everyday item that's pretty much necessary in a kitchen? Or is it possible that she will out grow this nutty trait?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I don't know

All my dogs did that I don't know why they do it , My bullies , my chow all of them , I just had to make sure I just keep telling them no when I seen then go for them and for the most part make sure nope of them were left around for them to get and covers on your trash.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agreed with Halo - the only suggestion I have is getting the whole family in on the "napkins go in the trash, trash stays unreachable by the dog" bandwagon. (For all us Harry Potter fans, this is known as CONSTANT VIGILENCE!!) Yes, it's a big fat pain in the butt, but it beats the heck out of the snowstorms of torn napkins. And really, kids as young as 3 can start learning to put their trash in the trashcan - you just have to remind them a lot...

If Fury is really into destruction (hey, you got a bully, didn't you?), you can give her appropriate things to tear up - the inner core from paper towel & TP rolls, cardboard boxes with a treat hidden inside (tape it well and it will take her longer to get it open), paper grocery bags, etc. Make them a special treat and she'll learn that not EVERY box is hers to destroy - only the ones YOU give her. You can use a special command/encouragement phrase so she knows when it's okay. We use "box" regardless of what it is - "Chyna, do you want a BOX?" "Here's your BOX!" (as we rattle the treat inside) "Go get it - get your BOX!" with plenty of "good girls" and "woohoos" as she goes to town.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much, Chynasmom and halo - at least I know I'm not alone and Fury is not the only one that does this... that in itself is comforting.

One thing I've noticed with this breed, or with Fury is how smart and how she picks up on things. She would actually nose the lid up just to snag a napkin from trash bin. We even moved the bin under the sink and she would paw at the closed door. Dinner time or any meal time for that matter - the wave of napkins would be like waving a red flag to a bull.

I appreciate the suggestion of the paper towel roll - she loves that too and never thought of just giving that part of it to her.

Again, thank you both.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad it was useful!

I admit, I tend to encourage my dogs' destructive tendencies - but only toward things I give them to destroy! Someone once said "Oh, I can't give my dog fuzzy toys - she just tears them up." My answer - "Isn't that the point?"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts