Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here taken their dogs hog hunting here in NC? I've just found out how very common feral hogs are here in my part of the state, just like 15 miles from my restaurant. I'm going to start going up there and see how many I can come across. I've been told, at the right time, you can find herds of like 10 of them at a time....which is kind of scary. The guy said they get pretty big too, because there is nothing/nobody hunting them. Anyway, if I find out enough about them and anyone is interested in hunting them, let me know. Obviously, I'm not going to take my dogs out there without any training. But, I'd be glad to learn their habits and lead anyone who would want to do that, who already has experience of course.

~S

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Shawn we have a ton of them up here my way..they are a pain in the butt...and damage all kinds of stuff and injure animals (horse ect) if they get into the barns with them the hogs have been known to gore the horses in the legs..nasty nasty things and they are pack animals..

Whoever you were talking to is right they are very rarley hunted..I have seen two shot in about 10 yrs..

e

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Erica said:
Shawn we have a ton of them up here my way..they are a pain in the butt...and damage all kinds of stuff and injure animals (horse ect) if they get into the barns with them the hogs have been known to gore the horses in the legs..nasty nasty things and they are pack animals..

Whoever you were talking to is right they are very rarley hunted..I have seen two shot in about 10 yrs..

e
If I could find a bunch of land for cheap (yeah, right), I'd by some acreage and put it to good use for hunting.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
BanterBull said:
Erica said:

e
If I could find a bunch of land for cheap (yeah, right), I'd by some acreage and put it to good use for hunting.
The little boys next door to me killed one last year on the 14 acres behind my house..which is connected to 10 acres next door...on my dirt lane we have about 56 acres uncleared..

e

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Erica said:
BanterBull said:
Erica said:

e
The little boys next door to me killed one last year on the 14 acres behind my house..which is connected to 10 acres next door...on my dirt lane we have about 56 acres uncleared..

e
Wow. That sounds even much better than up in Corova. You could "host" training events (if they're legal) and hunts right there!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you guys decide to get one, let me know, I can give you the recipe for a Cuban Pig roast!! Down here in florida hogs are hunted ALL the time. Nothing like a hog in Caja China!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wild pigs in the USA are going to be like the rabbit was in Austrailia. Their reproduction rate is unreal. In Arkansas (and most other areas) they are competing with the native wildlife: deer for acorns, eating ground bird's eggs, and killing young quail and turkey. The damage by rooting the ground makes the papers if it's someone's yard, but if its on a hillside or mountain, major errosion takes place (Hawaii and Smokey Mnts, Tenn) They need to be controlled/killed. Don't wait until your dog can help.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tycosales said:
Wild pigs in the USA are going to be like the rabbit was in Austrailia. Their reproduction rate is unreal. In Arkansas (and most other areas) they are competing with the native wildlife: deer for acorns, eating ground bird's eggs, and killing young quail and turkey. The damage by rooting the ground makes the papers if it's someone's yard, but if its on a hillside or mountain, major errosion takes place (Hawaii and Smokey Mnts, Tenn) They need to be controlled/killed. Don't wait until your dog can help.
No problem. I'll buy my first gun and start right away. I'll take the dogs, just in case, but I have no problem curbing the problem myself.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The Ohio hunting regulations book instructs hunters to kill on sight. They are starting to be a problem everywhere. That's what you'd expect from an animal that breeds like rabbits and can eat ANYTHING! Cute little pigs. :lol:

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
this still blow's me away you guys got hog's just running around down there all over thats insain only thing we got up here is maby the od dear hog's that werad anyonw know what the deal is with that is it old live stock form farmers years a go that got loose and now a re wild or what id like to know now what up ! cheers just pig's running the streets and parks thats crasy :?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts