Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been breeding and showing champion west highland white terriers since 1995. I used to work closely with another breeder in my area until we started having our problems (don't ask unless you want the ultimate earfull!) and we went our seperate ways. The only tie I have to this woman is a 12 year old female, Katy, that we co-own together and she lives with my mother. We co-bred 3 litters with Katy, I kept 1 male from each litter, 2 of which I allowed her to have stud rights on. The last litter we had with Katy I whelped the litter, did all the work, etc. so on the AKC papers I am listed as the sole breeder and owner of the male I kept, Hopper.

Well just this evening my mom gets a call from this woman who wants to use Hopper to breed to one of her females. Granted this is a great female, she just took an Award of Merit at the Eukanuba National Championship, my mom and I don't want anything to do with this lady. I know she is desperate to use Hopper because he is the last living, intact son of her male Duncan. Duncan is a big deal because his father was Am./Bermudian Ch. Mac-Ken-Char's Irish Navigator and his son Duncan was his 110th champion produced at last count 5 YEARS AGO. Hope this explains why she is desperate to use Hopper. Not only do we not want to deal with this lady but Hopper has back problems and we are afraid that breeding or collecting him for AI will stir up problems with his back. When my mom told her this she said she was lying and wanted to see him right then. When my mom said no, she asked what we were trying to hide....PSYCHO LADY ALERT!!! She then precedes to tell us that she has FULL STUD RIGHTS on this dog...BULL!!!!! There is no contract between us on this dog and she is not a breeder or co-owner so in my opinion she has nothing to go on.

Mom calls me up and tells me whats going on and now I'm furious because she is calling my mom a liar and bad pet owner, which are lies in themselves. My dilemma lies in how to handle the use of Hopper as a stud. I know having only this information you are all yelling at the scree "Dont let her do it!" which was my immedieate thought until this came to mind: I have a dog I bought from her in 1995 that has a LIFETIME health guarantee, let me explain how this is relevant and how I can use this to my advantage:

This dog I have with the lifetime health guarantee, Rowdy, ended up being a genetic NIGHTMARE. First problem, he was guaranteed against disqualifying faults in the show ring and he ended up being a Cryptorchid (meaning only 1 testicle descended) which automatically disqaulifies him. By the time his right testicle decided to permanently not descend I had finished his champship LOL so that clause may not work for me. Problem #2, he suffers from a hellacious genetic skin disorder called Epidermal Dysplasia, or ED. In short ED causes severe hair loss, itching, and the skin turns black and very thick and there is no cure. As a result of ED Rowdy has lost his hearing to ear infections and we had surgery to remove his ear canals to end the ear infections once and for all. Over the past year I have spent well over $6,000 on Rowdy's ED treatments and related surgeries (this includes my approx 50% employee discount). He also has severe food and airborne allergies which may or not be genetic.

SOOO, I was thinking I would let her use Hopper as a stud IF she would refund the purchase price of Rowdy with out me returning him to her and HELL NO I wont consider a replacement puppy from her. My dilemma is do I flat refuse any stud service to her or get her to pay her dues for this nightmare of a dog? What would you do!?! I'm very torn because I could really use the money but at the same time I want her to not have access to the dog shes DYING to use just to piss her off. Bring on the opinions, if you can't tell I'm riled and ready for battle with this bitch.

Jana

· Registered
214 Posts
Well, first of all I would get my money back for the dog. It has a lifetime guarantee right? Second I would deny all rights to Hopper being that he has back problems she is not thinking of your dogs well being she is thinking of herself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.