Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Faiths ear is super red and is dry and very hot!!!! I am off tomorrow and I need to know if I should take her to the vet or not about it. She doesn't act like it hurts. I am wondering if it is a sunburn or windburn. If it is, is there something I can put on it to make it better??? Here are some pics. Sorry they aren't very good but she HATES the camera now and trys to run from me when I have it.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
My vet always tells me to feel my dogs ears if they are sick. Ears should be the coolest part of the body. If they are really hot, she probably has a fever. Is she eating?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes she is eating fine and acting fine. And the other ear is cool as can be and normal looking. Do you think it is still a fever?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I'd call the vet first thing, and see what they say. Or, if you have an emergency animal clinic, call them. Usually they won't tell you to bring the animal in unless it's really urgent. It's hard to tell from those pics, but Haus' ear was really red and hot like that when he had his ear infection.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
Cookies Mom said:
looks like CC's ears looked like that when she had
a yeast infection in them. I would call the vet!
Same here with one of my dogs. She needs some meds for her ear.
Poor baby give her a hug.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well just got back from the vets and Faith has ear mites and infection in her ears. He said it looks like she has had them for awhile. :( So I must be a bad mommy. I didn't know dogs could get ear mites. But anyways they gave her a shot for the pain and then some ear drops to put in her ears once a day for 14 days. He went ahead and put in the ones for today. When we walked in there were other dogs there and Faith ignored them and let the ladies pet her. Then when our vet walked out she growled at him a little but he talked nicely to her and we put her on the table and he looked in her ears and she never even did anything. Then he gave her the shot and she didn't even flinch. But she was ready to leave when we left. :D But she had her tail between her legs the whole time she was on the table. Is this normal? I know she's not too fond of men but she loves my husband Bobby and does fine after guys come over and pet her and stuff. She just acts scared at first. Thanks to everyone for your help. I am glad I had today off and glad I took her in!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If Kate had a tail it would be between her legs when she is up on the table... I don't think it is because of the doctor or anything, I think it is because they are up so high with nothing surrounding them.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
yup, earmites was gunna be my guess. at least they are quite easy to get rid of. you should notice a big difference in a day or so with the drops.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am glad they will go away quickly. How much of a chance is there that Molly will get them also?

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
So I must be a bad mommy. I didn't know dogs could get ear mites.

No, no - do not beat yourself up over this one. They can pick up ear mites out of the dirt
at any time and with this breed, that would be a very easy thing to do. Now that you know what the signs are, you will know what to look for if it happens again. They clear up easily, just make sure you do not forget to put in the meds. With as much as you have had on your mind lately I am even suprised that you noticed it now. Take care and give yourself a break and Faith and Molly hugs. They can be passed from one dog to the other so do keep them apart until they have gone away.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
attitude said:
yup, earmites was gunna be my guess. at least they are quite easy to get rid of. you should notice a big difference in a day or so with the drops.
that's what i was gonna say too..... also, if you notice your dogs shaking their heads alot and if they are sensite to the touch, at the closest part to the head (if that made sense) it is usually ear mites....

give faith a hug from baylee!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The tail between the legs is a common reaction at the vet. It's up high off the ground, slippery, and there's all these strangers around. It's stressful for them.

You're a great mommy because you did something about it right away. I hope they go away quickly. Must be very uncomfortable for her.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I've always had problems with my boxers ears doing that. I have a cleansing rinse I have to use on her 2 times a week, and then this cream once a week. Ever since the vet started me on that she hasn't had any more problems... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts