Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago Dante, my 2.5 y/o intact AB attacked my 11 y/o neutered male westie, Rowdy. They were in the backyard together along with Chaos (4 y/o female AB and Roxy 4 m/o AB) when I heard Rowdy yelping. I have no idea what set Dante off and I was able to separate them quickly. The injuries were relatively minor, lots of bruising and two large punctures on Rowdy's left side, Dante was unscathed. I kept Rowdy separated from the other dogs to heal but about a week after the attack I forgot Rowdy was outside and let Dante, Chaos and Roxy out to play again, within minutes I hear the same horrible yelping from Rowdy. This time the damage was extensive and required 2 surgeries to repair. Now everytime Dante even sees Rowdy he's ready to kill him.

Dante is scheduled to be neutered tomorrow, I know this won't solve the problem, hell I'm mostly neutering him out of spite at this point for hurting my little old man...but I'm hoping the neuter will take the edge off. I need suggestions on how to safely "re-introduce" these dogs so at the least we can all live in peace again. Dante gets into "kill Rowdy" drive so deeply I have not been able to sucessfully make him respond to obedience commands with a pinch collar on. Dante usually responds well to any type of correction, even raising your voice, but if he sees Rowdy, its all over. I don't even know what to do at this point and I really don't want to seriously consider giving him back to the breeder because he is part of the family.

Please help!!

Jana

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
I am not the professional on this question. As a matter of fact Carrie, Lisa, BLittle and others could give you more appropriate answers, however, I have read many of their posts on this issue and from what I have determined once a dog has it out for another it is very difficult to get them back to being nice with each other again. I do believe that the major problem is that Dante is not neutered and is now coming into his own, territorial wise, and wanting to take on Rowdy, the older dog, to show him that he is not the boss anymore. Even in having Dante fixed, he will not forget his reasons for attacking Rowdy and it may continue. Your only answer, in order to save Rowdy from any further injuries, is to keep them seperated. Maybe the others will see your post , if not you could pm them and ask for their help. Good luck. Another thought that just came to my mind is: is Rowdy ill or does he seem to be slowing down or getting weaker? Dante may recognize this and feel this is his chance to become the top dog. Just a thought.

I just reread your post and noted that two female dogs were present. I do feel that Dante is trying to challange Rowdy as "leader of the pack".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rowdy hasn't really been a member of the pack for many years, he is deaf, cannot see well and is in early stage Cognitive Dysfunction Disorder. He has had these problems since we brought Dante home as a puppy. The only dog in my house that really considers him as part of the pack is my 4.5 y/o intact Norwegian Elkhound, Riley. Riley is constantly taking care of Rowdy and never leaves his side, it's bizarre how pack dynamics work isn't it!

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
IronstayK9 said:
Rowdy hasn't really been a member of the pack for many years, he is deaf, cannot see well and is in early stage Cognitive Dysfunction Disorder. He has had these problems since we brought Dante home as a puppy. The only dog in my house that really considers him as part of the pack is my 4.5 y/o intact Norwegian Elkhound, Riley. Riley is constantly taking care of Rowdy and never leaves his side, it's bizarre how pack dynamics work isn't it!
Yes it is. Dante has recognized Rowdy's problems and is taking advantage of them. I think if the female dogs had not been around, this problem would not have happened. Is the older female spayed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My only suggestion is to make sure that when you introduce them back together that you do it on nutral ground and that you might want to muzzel your younger male just in case. I hope all works out, I have two female AB's one is 8 months and the other is 7yrs and they get along great now but I too am worried that they will grow apart. Again I hope all works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts